1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Just booked

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by KordovaJD, Aug 14, 2017.

1. KordovaJD

KordovaJD Well-Known Member

Just booked my first trip to UO. We're staying at RPR and we're very happy to be leaving the kids behind. With a 5yo and 3yo, Mommy and Daddy need a little time alone. After so many years and so many trips to WDW, I feel like I'm cheating. Will I get over the guilt?

In all honesty, bought the airline tickets on points, get a decent deal on the room, and my cousin, who works at UO is "gifting" us the tickets. All in all, we'll come out pretty cheap I'd say at about $1000 for flight, hotel, and tix.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter here I come. See you all there Sept. 21.

ParentsOf4, trr1, JillC LI and 4 others like this.
  2. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Cheating is sexy and exciting.

And will ruin your life. Don't do it!

Are you also going to Halloween Horror Nights? Universal's "Darkside" has more than cookies.
    [​IMG]

KordovaJD likes this.
  3. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

You get over the dirty feeling really fast.

Welcome to the dark side.

KordovaJD and trr1 like this.
  4. DisneyPrincess5

DisneyPrincess5 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your parents only trip, and a very cheap trip!!! Have an awesome time.

KordovaJD likes this.
  5. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

You will get over the guilt once you drop your bags in what WDW calls a deluxe for 1/3 the price and then stroll over to citywalk to check out the scene. Very laid back so enjoy your "me" time.

KordovaJD likes this.
  6. The Tuna

The Tuna Well-Known Member

Guilt? No way should you feel guilty about going to Universal, or leaving your kids at home. Universal and Disney are vastly different experiences. Disney is definitely more relaxed and low key and makes you feel very sentimental, or at least it does for me. I love it.. Universal feels like your heart rate is up all day in the best possible way. Not just the action of the rides but seeing The Simpsons, Transformers, Harry Potter, JP, etc really gets you excited as you feel you are right there in the shows or movies. When i saw Optimus Prime for the first time I was like a 9 year old me again. Going to Orlando is a 6 park experience for me every time.

It isn't better than Disney or worse than Disney. It's a different kind of awesome. Unlike marriage, you don't have to love just one. hahaha

andysol and KordovaJD like this.
  7. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

Congrats ! I use to be totally Pro Disney before I got over rollercoaster phobia a via a few years ago. The rides are more exciting at USO, and it's a different vibe to WDW. I'm looking forward to our families first all adult trip here next month so I understand how different but awesome this will be for you. :cool:

KordovaJD likes this.
  8. Rob562

Rob562 Well-Known Member

In a similar boat. I've been to WDW with my bf 3 times. This fall we're finally doing the "everything but Disney" trip to Orlando: One night at Royal Pacific, then 7 nights at a non-Disney timeshare. We'll do 3 or 4 days at Universal, a day each at Seaworld and Busch Gardens, and we'll see about fitting in visits to Fun Spot for their new coaster. And a day a Volcano Bay if there's a nice enough day weather-wise.

But rest assured we'll still at least spend some time on Disney property, just not in the parks: a monorail pub crawl, time at Disney Springs (hopefully Edison will have opened by November), MK fireworks from the Poly...

-Rob

KordovaJD, trr1 and Disneyhead'71 like this.
  9. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

how long is the trip

KordovaJD likes this.
  10. KordovaJD

KordovaJD Well-Known Member Original Poster

Just Thursday through Sunday, but without our kids we should be able to move a lot faster.

We're taking the trip as a reward. Back in March my wife said that if I lost 50 pounds we'd go see the Wizarding World. Well, I lost 75 pounds, so here we go. Incentive is a hell of a thing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    trr1 likes this.
  11. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

congratulations what hotel? and have a great trip

12. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

RPR

trr1 likes this.
  13. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

Ok duh moment for me

JoeCamel likes this.
  14. KordovaJD

No worries, I'm having one of those days, weeks, months maybe?

trr1 likes this.
  15. AndrewsJ

AndrewsJ Well-Known Member

You will get over the guilt. Parents deserve time to themselves. It keeps you young and strengthens your relationship. Go and have an incredible time!!

16. Disneyhead'71

@KordovaJD Being the biggest Uni guy here, I'm glad you are going full rogue and not just dipping your toes in. I get a little annoyed when Disney fans take a day out of their Disney vacation and catch a cab up to Universal for the day. Then proudly proclaim Universal doesn't come close to a Disney vacation. Staying on property, you will get to experience the real difference between Universal and WDW. Freedom! You don't need a spreadsheet and a physical trainer to prepare for your vacation.

And since it is an adults only couples trip, I suggest trying one of their Signature restaurants. Tchoup Chop is Emeril's pan pacific restaurant is at the RPR and is awesome. But for a couple getting some alone time, I recommend BiCE at Portofino Bay Resort. It is the most romantic restaurant on property. And the food always impresses.

andysol, Corey P and JoeCamel like this.
  17. KordovaJD

Would it be advisable to get reservations for these restaurants? Has UNI gone full Disney when it comes to sit down dining?

18. Disneyhead'71

If you know what night you want to go, I would go ahead and make reservations. That is a weekend during Halloween Horror Nights. Everything will be busy. But if you don't, you can usually walk up around opening (5:30) and still get in without much problem.

One thing I want to mention, September is Orlando Magical Dining month. 70 restaurants around Orlando participate in this cool promotion. Each restaurant has a select 3 course Prix Fixe menu for $35. It is quite the bargain. The only Universal Signature in the promotion is BiCE. I absolutely love the place. I took my parents there last year for their 53rd Anniversary.

http://www.visitorlando.com/magicaldining/restaurants/BiCE-Ristorante/26776/

KordovaJD and JoeCamel like this.
  19. Nj4mwc

Nj4mwc Well-Known Member

I dont even think you have to stay on property at universal. The wife and I went sans kids last year and stayed at some cheapo hotel like a 15 minute walk away. It was by a dennys and it was cheap. We still lived it. I loved being able to have a few drinks at night and not worry about being up at the crack of dawn to be able to get everything in. It was a lot more relaxing and I made sure to spend ample time drinking duff in Moes tavern.

20. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

OP give us a report when you get back. It's always interesting to see what a first timers thoughts are.

Disneyhead'71 and Spectro like this.