Just back from 4 days at Universal

captainkidd

Original Poster
OK, so as anyone who reads this board knows, I'm a huge fan of Universal. Bigger fan of Disney, but I defend Universal pretty hard-core.

This trip was great, but I have a few things to point out why I was a bit underwhelmed this time with Universal:

-We had 5 people in our room. We requested a rollaway, and were charged $25 per night. Kind of silly for a resort costing $250 per night (Royal Pacific.)

-While Express still works beautifully, it is not enforced well enough. Several times we saw people get into the Express line that didn't have it, and no employees noticed or said a word. I did bust these 4 little pukes cutting on Flight of the Hippograph, and they got tossed off the ride before getting on.

-Housekeeping at RPR sucked this time. We were there for 3 nights, and got housekeeping 1 day. The other days, we'd get back to the room around 5:00 and they still hadn't been there. We just ended up getting more towels off a cart.

-Something that has always eluded me about RPR - There are no good options for quick service eating. No food court, no store that sells a decent amount of food to go. We went to HRH 1 day to check it out, and they have better options there.

-While IOA is great fun, and Universal is a beautiful park, it's not Disney. While Disney may have it's maintenance issues at times, the entire Universal Resort seems to be in need of a paint job.

-Ride breakdowns - Hulk, Spiderman (2x), Men In Black, Dragon Challenge, HRRR.

-Universal's pre-shows are WAY too long and boring. Shrek, Twister, Simpsons.

-We did Posideon's Fury for the 1st time. What a waste of space. This is Universal's answer to Narnia, except on a larger scale.

-Good Eats: Hard Rock Cafe.
-Crap Eats: NBA City, NASCAR Grille, Bubba Gump.

I guess the point is, Universal is great fun for about 2 nights, 2 full days. After that, I'm done. I complain about Disney as lately they've become somewhat lazy, but I can spend 2 weeks on Disney property and never get bored. 4 days at Universal was too much.

McClane713

I've read many of your pro-universal posts before, so I have to start off by saying I'm shocked at your review, but glad to see you're being open minded in flaws regarding both resorts. I'm very pro-universal myself. It seems that most of your negative points focus on RPR, I've never stayed there myself, only at HRH for one trip, so I can equate my experience using that.
My only disagreement is I'd say Universal is good for 3 days, maybe 2.5. 1 day in each park, and a half day to full day to go back and get your last ride on your favorites.
I don't mind NASCAR cafe, but I don't think it's anything special either. I would also agree on your view points of maintenance, but my only defense would be that you did catch them at the end of a very busy summer season, right before rehabs would begin. Maybe things will start turning around shortly.
I'm going on the 24th myself for a few days, so I'm intrigued to see if my view matches. No Disney for me on this trip, just 2 days at universal, and hanging out around Citywalk in my free time.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Another thing I should mention. This was my fault for not being prepared, but Universal still screwed up.

Guys will know where I'm going with this. We went on the water rides at IOA and I didn't change my bathing suit right away. So yeah, the burning and chafing was in full effect.

The gift shops at RPR didn't carry Tinactin or Lotramin. So, I called Concierge to ask about pharmacy's that deliver since we didn't have a car. They were helpful, but no pharmacies would deliver for at least 24 hours. Concierge called to HRH and Portofino to ask if they sold anything. Portofino said yes. So, I made the nearly 2 mile walk over there to find out all they had was Lubriderm. Then the woman at the gift shop tells me, there's a Walgreens right outside the property. So, I had to walk another mile to this Walgreens across Kirkman road. That sucked.

captainkidd

Original Poster
NASCAR wasn't really bad, just nothing special. NBA City just plain sucked. Food and atmosphere. Bubba Gump has an OK atmosphere, but the food was lousy. Disney destroys Universal in the food department.

JT3000

You know Universal doesn't actually operate the on-site hotels, right?

Universal's pre-shows are WAY too long and boring. Shrek, Twister, Simpsons.

While their entertainment factor is subjective, the pre-shows are as long as they need to be. You wouldn't be seeing the attraction any faster if they weren't there. You'd just be waiting outside longer.

Slipknot

NASCAR wasn't really bad, just nothing special. NBA City just plain sucked. Food and atmosphere. Bubba Gump has an OK atmosphere, but the food was lousy. Disney destroys Universal in the food department.

How does Disney destroy Universal in the food department when the restaurants you've mentioned are 3rd party and not run by Universal? :confused:

captainkidd

Original Poster
How does Disney destroy Universal in the food department when the restaurants you've mentioned are 3rd party and not run by Universal? :confused:

Let me rephrase that then.....

The food served on Disney property destroys the food served on Universal's property.

captainkidd

Original Poster
You know Universal doesn't actually operate the on-site hotels, right?

While their entertainment factor is subjective, the pre-shows are as long as they need to be. You wouldn't be seeing the attraction any faster if they weren't there. You'd just be waiting outside longer.

I understand Lowes operates them, but they are a reflection of Universal, just as the Swan and Dolphin are of WDW.

Honestly, I'd rather be waiting outside than having to sit through the Twister pre-show again.

Bairstow

If you have to see Twister, the second pre-show area is actually kind of interesting. Pay no attention to the TV screens on the ceiling showing some kind of inane, "Prepare to experience the fury of the filming experience we went through to make this movie no one remembers." Instead check out the detailing of the broken house/kitchen stuff on the walls. It's pretty neat but don't touch; there's some nasty jagged glass within reach.

thelookingglass

Thats odd that you felt everything needed a paint job. I visit frequently and I feel that the whole place still looks very fresh. If you're referring to Seuss Landing, it is supposed to look washed out and faded like that because that is how Dr. Seuss's books look.

Also, while I admittedly haven't eaten at many full service restaurants at Universal, I think their quick service food beats out Disney's.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Also, while I admittedly haven't eaten at many full service restaurants at Universal, I think their quick service food beats out Disney's.

Some of it does. Louie's has great pizza. I've had the burgers and fries at Marvel Hero Island, and while they taste better, they're always cold for some reason.:shrug: Mel's drive in is really good though. I'd say all in all, Universal's fast food is better than Disney's.

But when I think of all the great table service restaurants at the resorts and Epcot, Universal can't compete with Disney.

captainkidd

Original Poster
If you have to see Twister, the second pre-show area is actually kind of interesting. Pay no attention to the TV screens on the ceiling showing some kind of inane, "Prepare to experience the fury of the filming experience we went through to make this movie no one remembers." Instead check out the detailing of the broken house/kitchen stuff on the walls. It's pretty neat but don't touch; there's some nasty jagged glass within reach.

I agree. In fact, my wife said to me, "What are you looking at?":lol:

I couldn't stand any more of Bill Paxton patting himself on the back.

CoasterKing

-We did Posideon's Fury for the 1st time. What a waste of space. This is Universal's answer to Narnia, except on a larger scale.

Actually, Posideon's Fury was built before the Narnia movies, so it is not Universal's answer to Narnia.

I guess each to his own, as I really enjoy Posideon's Fury (especially when the water vortex effect is working.) I always believe that rides/attractions that incorporate a human cast member are better abled to sweep you into the moment and give you the illusion that what you are experiencing is real, aka Jaws, Terminator and Posideon's Fury. Each "actor" brings his/her own personality into the attraction and can really plus the experience, or if they aren't any good, then make the experience less enjoyable. We seem to always get a good "guide" on Posideon's Fury that really gets into the role and enhances the experience.

CoasterKing :king:

captainkidd

Original Poster
Actually, Posideon's Fury was built before the Narnia movies, so it is not Universal's answer to Narnia.

I guess each to his own, as I really enjoy Posideon's Fury (especially when the water vortex effect is working.) I always believe that rides/attractions that incorporate a human cast member are better abled to sweep you into the moment and give you the illusion that what you are experiencing is real, aka Jaws, Terminator and Posideon's Fury. Each "actor" brings his/her own personality into the attraction and can really plus the experience, or if they aren't any good, then make the experience less enjoyable. We seem to always get a good "guide" on Posideon's Fury that really gets into the role and enhances the experience.

Yeah, I should have said this is Universal's "version". Some of the effects in the show were cool. The water vortex was great, no doubt. We had a really lame guide though. Just wasn't funny in the least.

When will theme parks learn - If you can create an attraction where the guest can sit as opposed to stand, then do it?

Bairstow

I saw Poseidon's Fury for the first time a month ago and thought it was incredibly lame. For starters, the story made no sense from either a theme park or a mythological standpoint. It's weird to have Poseidon posed as a "good" God and neither know nor want to know about some made-up Greek "wizard" character made up for the ride. It seems as if nothing at all happens in the first two chambers- I kept waiting for a skeleton to move, a second actor to get involved, or some lasers or fiber optics to project something but "Taylor" just flaps his jaws and does the Rex from Star Tours bit for like half an hour. Oh, and his microphone was turned up too loud when I was there. The final effects room is really a letdown too. The little splashes of water and fire are nice I guess, but I never got the actual sensation of being underwater, which could have been remedied with better lighting and some projection on the ceiling. Water screens are neat, I suppose, but really I had the impression that I was just watching a bunch of TV screens.

I understand that the show underwent a major revision soon after opening, and I'd be interested to see if anyone had a chance to see that.
As I understand it, the third room used to be fully revealed when you entered it, and then it reverts to the "first" room when the show ends, as opposed to now when it starts "normal" expands, then returns.

The building exterior is extremely impressive, and I could stare at the tube of water for a long time, but overall the whole thing feels badly executed. If the plans are for it to get Potterized as Gringott's Bank or whatever I say go for it and the sooner the better.

CoasterKing

When will theme parks learn - If you can create an attraction where the guest can sit as opposed to stand, then do it?

Yes, it would definitely be better if there were seats in there, especially in the final room.

And to comment on Bairstow, it seems to me that the story is very simplistic and easy to understand. Now if you want to argue about the historical accuracy, as historically correct you can get from mythology, then there are flaws. But how many people go into an attraction trying to analyze every fact and attribute to discern if it matches historical records (real or mythological). I go to enjoy and lose myself in the immersion of the attraction, not to disect and find out what is and isn't accurate.

Walt Disney1955

We did Posideon's Fury for the 1st time. What a waste of space. This is Universal's answer to Narnia, except on a larger scale.

You know I kind of liked it. Nice theming and all. The only knock is that a ride is much better if you are sitting. Either way, kind of neat I thought.

I guess the point is, Universal is great fun for about 2 nights, 2 full days. After that, I'm done. I complain about Disney as lately they've become somewhat lazy, but I can spend 2 weeks on Disney property and never get bored. 4 days at Universal was too much.

I agree. Universal is not a 4 day experience. 2 days? For sure, one day at each park is perfect. And if you want to stretch is maybe three days but that's the most you need.

Bravo 229

I saw Poseidon's Fury for the first time a month ago and thought it was incredibly lame. For starters, the story made no sense from either a theme park or a mythological standpoint. It's weird to have Poseidon posed as a "good" God and neither know nor want to know about some made-up Greek "wizard" character made up for the ride. It seems as if nothing at all happens in the first two chambers- I kept waiting for a skeleton to move, a second actor to get involved, or some lasers or fiber optics to project something but "Taylor" just flaps his jaws and does the Rex from Star Tours bit for like half an hour. Oh, and his microphone was turned up too loud when I was there. The final effects room is really a letdown too. The little splashes of water and fire are nice I guess, but I never got the actual sensation of being underwater, which could have been remedied with better lighting and some projection on the ceiling. Water screens are neat, I suppose, but really I had the impression that I was just watching a bunch of TV screens.

I understand that the show underwent a major revision soon after opening, and I'd be interested to see if anyone had a chance to see that.
As I understand it, the third room used to be fully revealed when you entered it, and then it reverts to the "first" room when the show ends, as opposed to now when it starts "normal" expands, then returns.

The building exterior is extremely impressive, and I could stare at the tube of water for a long time, but overall the whole thing feels badly executed. If the plans are for it to get Potterized as Gringott's Bank or whatever I say go for it and the sooner the better.

I saw the original version, and I prefer it over the current one. From what I remember, the end of the show was the same as it is now - all that was changed was the storyline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom