Just a Rumor on a true Epcot

ToTallToSlow112

Original Poster
I heard from a teacher who is planning on retiring to Florida and getting a part time job as a greeter at WDW, that there is going to be a true Experimental Prototype Comunity of Tommorow. I heard it will be inspired by the Flordia Project vision of Epcot. It will not be an attraction. Has anyone heard anything about this?

jmarc63

I bet you didn't know that ther was an E.P.C.O.T built in the latter half of the 19th century. It was built on the south side of Chicago, and it was called Pullman

The Town of Pullman

The model industrial town of Pullman, Illinois had its beginning on May 26, 1880, in the open prarie. This town was the physical expression of an idea born and nurtured in the mind of George M. Pullman, President of the Pullman Palace Car Company.

He decided to develop a model community, a total environment, superior to that available to the working class elsewhere. By so doing, he hoped to avoid strikes, attract the most skilled workers and attain greater productivity as a result of the better health and spirit of his employees.

Pullman realized the necessity of building his town it would have accessibility to the big city markets and railroad connections with the enitre country. The 4,000 acre tract selected for the site lay along the western shore of Lake Calumet directly south of Chicago, approximately 13 miles. It was essentially open prarie land linked to Chicago by the Illinois Central Railroad.

George Pullman hired Solon S. Beaman, landscape architect Nathan F. Barrett and civil engineer, Benzette Williams, to translate his plans into three-dimensional reality.

Construction of the town was executed by Pullman employees. Structures were made of brick fashioned from clay found on the company site. Pullman shops produced component parts used throughout the building of the town. This project was one of the first applications of industrial technology and mass production in the construction of a large-scale housing development.

Each dwelling was provided with gas and water, access to complete sanitary facilities and abundant quantities of sunlight and fresh air.

These factors brought Pullman to be voted the world's most perfect town at the Prague International Hygenic and Pharmaceutical Exposition of 1896.

Sounds a bit like what walt wanted but in aa 21st Century era

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by jmarc63
I bet you didn't know that ther was an E.P.C.O.T built in the latter half of the 19th century. It was built on the south side of Chicago, and it was called Pullman

i knew that i knew that!!!

woohoo go me and my history sillz

umm i also think she meant celebration... dang you never have to leave if you dont wanna (but disney world is so close i bet they leave everyday :sohappy: )

I wrote a paper about Pullman/celebration last semester... it was a short one page paper but woohoo i got an A!

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Sounds like Milton Hershey's story as well. He established Hershey Pa in 1903 if I'm not mistaken under some of the same ideas that a worker with a good home and community could only benifit in the workplace as well.

wed050499

Originally posted by roysta123
Could it be Celebration, Fl???

along with Epcot itself, the utilidors, the monorails, tta, etc. The ideas for Walt's EPCOT are all over Walt Disney World now. See Waltopia.com for more details.

I have to agree that it's a little impractical for Disney to build Walt's city today.

Just a thought,
Brian

dopey

Good call, jmarc. But what the article fails to mention is that the concept was a failure. Pullman took so much money out of his employees' paychecks to cover rents and city services that most workers had little money left over for such things as food.

In any event, being that Walt was born in Chicago and had always been a rail enthusiast, he most likely was familiar with Pullman.

jmarc63

Originally posted by dopey
Good call, jmarc. But what the article fails to mention is that the concept was a failure. Pullman took so much money out of his employees' paychecks to cover rents and city services that most workers had little money left over for such things as food.

In any event, being that Walt was born in Chicago and had always been a rail enthusiast, he most likely was familiar with Pullman.

Even though it was a faluire, Mostly due to pullmans concept of garanteeing his investors a " Garanteed Return" on there investment at the cost of his employees welfare the initial concept was sound , It is unfourtunat that too many real world situations make it mostly undoable today, especialy with human nature what is it and that the quality of life in genreral being less than it is today, But it was just that , an experiment. That might of worked if Pullman wasn't so greedy, Could have been where Walt got his Ideas for E.P.C.O.T from and having the 21st Century in mind in his concept, but if you look closley at his plans he had a lot of rules and restrictions put on the citzens that would live there that few realized in the beginning. The intitial concepts of experimental communities were thought to be entire self sucficiant cities, but I don't think that will happen on earth, maybe when we get to space living. There are experimental communities in part as developed sub-divisions all accross the US today., such as Senior Communities, Gated comunities, ETC, If you live there you have to follow the bylaws or you can,t live there. So an E.P.C.O.T, on a grand scale is improbable today there are pockets of them everywhere on a small scale. In a sense you could consider the Bio-Dome an EPCOT, sorta

dopey

In a sense you could consider the Bio-Dome an EPCOT, sorta

Lol. First you had me thinking about Pullman, now all I can think of is Pauly Shore! :hammer:

SirNim

I'm going to build E.P.C.O.T. one day, even if it means I have to build it on the moon!!

What about E.P.C.O.T. on some extra-terrestrial, celestial body? You would DEFINETELY need some sort of planned EPCOT-like community if and when we venture out of the protective confines of our *ahem* *cough* Spaceship Earth *cough* and populate the Universe!:D :)

Talk about Imagination! (Institute)...:D

Tim G

Originally posted by ToTallToSlow112
I heard from a teacher who is planning on retiring to Florida and getting a part time job as a greeter at WDW, that there is going to be a true Experimental Prototype Comunity of Tommorow. I heard it will be inspired by the Flordia Project vision of Epcot. It will not be an attraction. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Another Epcot?? NO!!

We've got Celebration...

This is one of the most innovative communities of the 20th century.

Take the best ideas from the most successful towns of yesterday and the technology of the new millennium, and synthesize them into a close-knit community that meets the needs of today's families.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Re: Re: Just a Rumor on a true Epcot

Originally posted by Corrus
We've got Celebration...

This is one of the most innovative communities of the 20th century.

Take the best ideas from the most successful towns of yesterday and the technology of the new millennium, and synthesize them into a close-knit community that meets the needs of today's families.

Don’t forget to add the ridiculous restrictions... and a astronomical price range that is out of most peoples grasp.... *sigh*

They ever get the problems with that school in Celebration taken care of? What about the Fiber optic lines? Every house was supposed to have a fiber connection to the net... last I heard that was not done either.

I mean …don’t get me wrong… I would love to live there… at least I kinda wanted to… but the price structure is a tad to high…IMHO (for me right now at least). :) :wave:

Tim G

Re: Re: Re: Just a Rumor on a true Epcot

Originally posted by DMC-12
Don’t forget to add the ridiculous restrictions... and a astronomical price range that is out of most peoples grasp.... *sigh*
They ever get the problems with that school in Celebration taken care of?
What about the Fiber optic lines? Every house was supposed to have a fiber connection to the net... last I heard that was not done either.
I mean …don’t get me wrong… I would love to live there… at least I kinda wanted to… but the price structure is a tad to high…IMHO (for me right now at least). :) :wave:
Ever been there?
You should go for an hour or so...

Maybe you'll change your mind...:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom