Jungle Cruise Update

DCBaker

Premium Member
What was added to the final scene -

E6b0m_eVgAAJke6.jpg

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm still not sure why they couldn't show Trader Sam there. The way it is now, the only Black person in the ride is not a native. Odd choice. I'm sure my daughter in law from Kenya will have an interesting view on this when she rides it.

Perhaps Disney was too afraid to show him because whatever clothing or looks he had would be criticized from every side.

Roger_the_pianist

I swear I have seen a lost and found turned gift shop somewhere. Maybe The Simpson's?

The goods would not be *stolen*...most businesses clear out their lost and found periodically to get rid of long unclaimed things.

SplashGhost

So I rode this today and on their own, the new scenes are cute and mildly amusing, nothing to get that upset over. Nothing here comes close to the incompetence of the "Ten for a Hen" auction scene.

The larger problem though is that it just feels wrong that the natives were removed and replaced with a ton of monkeys. I get that there might have been issue with the portrayal of the natives on the Jungle Cruise, but what Disney did feels more like erasure and exclusion instead of inclusion. A better approach would have been to make the natives more culturally accurate instead of just erasing their existence.

fctiger

Went on the new Jungle Cruise yesterday with my family and we all LOVED it! All the new scenes are fun and really added to the experience. And it looks like the first half of the ride was kept completely in tact, its just the second half that got changes/additions. We wanted to try it again at night but ran out of time. We'll be back though!

el_super

By consulting with people that are actual knowledgeable about historical African tribes and implementing facts into how the natives are depicted in the attraction.

That would be great, but it would fundamentally alter the Jungle Cruise to the point of no longer being recognizable.

Which most likely, someday, will happen.

Right now though Disney is playing the game of updating it enough to make it palatable to modern audience while still trying to keep most of the historical "flavor" of the old attraction. They're playing a rather delicate balancing act between the two in order to maintain that historical connection, and that seems like a pretty good compromise for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom