Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The only new scene that feels off to me is the pygmy beach replacement. I understand the "tacky gift shop" when it is a part of the return to civilization, but when you just made your way "deeper and deeper into the jungle," it feels a bit off. They really just needed to add the pirhanas here and call is a day.
Agreed. This new scene doesn't work. Although, I didn't think the Pygmy Beach scene needed much of an overhaul. A Piranha Pool addition would have worked wonders! Ah well.

Is it just me or does this new re-imagining rely too heavily on comical signage? If you have to go that far to get the joke across - you failed.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Racism in JC has been peeled off like layers of an onion over the years (look for pics from the original in the ‘50s…eek). They are finally just throwing the onion out and giving us a woke organic one! At least it is a high quality one.

I hope they put this level of effort into Frog Mountain.
I approve of the Jungle Cruise changes, but I hope the updates to Splash are better than this. The bar for Splash is higher and that overhaul will be the biggest piece of these sensitivity changes.

celluloid

The pygmy scene worked because they are all missing. There is just evidence of a group of people that lived there. Even if not pygmy it would still work with the following gag of the Python hanging over to your left. No one was upset over the morbid humor that a python perhaps ate a villager or scared a group away.

I will echo what is said earlier and this replacement feels like the gift shop gag at the end is used again, and poorly placed.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

"Oh, politically correct inclusive Jungles are tight!'

1623130252971.png

GimpYancIent

The pygmy scene worked because they are all missing. There is just evidence of a group of people that lived there. Even if not pygmy it would still work with the following gag of the Python hanging over to your left. No one was upset over the morbid humor that a python perhaps ate a villager or scared a group away.

I will echo what is said earlier and this replacement feels like the gift shop gag at the end is used again, and poorly placed.
Interesting thought. A Python with a human shaped bulge in the middle of its body resting on the bank. Not morbid at all and would explain the absence of other people.

Magenta Panther

Am I? I think JC is the only ride I've advocated demolishing and completely replacing because I think the land could be used more efficiently -- and it would also open up easier access to the expansion plot. It's also kind of redundant since Animal Kingdom exists.

There are other things I would happily see torn down and replaced (all of Toy Story Land, for one) but that's just because I don't like them. While I don't like JC, I wouldn't be so strongly in favor of replacing it if not for the existence of Animal Kingdom and the fact it could open up a lot of land for new use.

I agree. Jungle Cruise is very dated now, and I believe Walt himself would have either tried to majorly plus it or replace it with something else, something better. The jokes that the boat captains use to try to overcome the ride's staleness are often clever but still cringe because they still can't detract from the ride's hokeyness. I'd be for a Pirates-themed rebuild or something brand new. It'll likely never happen, unfortunately (Iger: That would cost money! That ancient ride, just like Peter Pan's Flight, is plenty good enough for the rubes we just raised prices on!)

celluloid

Interesting thought. A Python with a human shaped bulge in the middle of its body resting on the bank. Not morbid at all and would explain the absence of other people.

You don't need the bulge in the belly for the joke to work. That is how it worked for years with "They were supposed to be here. I wonder what happened to them or scared them off?" and some are distracted looking to your right by then a Python suddenly hanging on your left with the "get a crush on you" jokes coming. I think the subtlety and inference works better..

celluloid

If anyone wants to know how to do a modern take on a silly boat ride, check out Cedar Point's newly opened Snake River Expedition. For a smaller budget and resources, they sure do have creative gags and pacing. I am of the opinion they have done so better than Disney has done on the Jungle Cruise redos. It is like a slice of the Great Movie Ride aspects and good spieling too.

Kate F

I approve of the Jungle Cruise changes, but I hope the updates to Splash are better than this. The bar for Splash is higher and that overhaul will be the biggest piece of these sensitivity changes.
Can people please stop using the term “update” to describe the Splash retheme? An “update” would be getting new animatronics in place of the old ones. What they plan to do is basically replace one flume attraction with another. The Jungle Cruise stuff is at least the same ride at heart even with all the additions, so that would be an “update.”

Sorry, just drives me up the wall.

celluloid

Can people please stop using the term “update” to describe the Splash retheme? An “update” would be getting new animatronics in place of the old ones. What they plan to do is basically replace one flume attraction with another. The Jungle Cruise stuff is at least the same ride at heart even with all the additions, so that would be an “update.”

Sorry, just drives me up the wall.

Update is a vague term that just means bringing something to a new era. I disagree with the update with Jungle Cruise too as it ruined some of the iconic jokes and adventurous sense of dark humor in a few of the iconic scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom