Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Brer Oswald

I hate to bring up Splash again (believe me I am tired of it) but it’s relevant. If the animatronic is supposed to be offensive, isn’t the bar “guilty by association” in the same way that the Brer’s and the America Sings animatronics are by being connected to the offensive live action bits of SotS? Or could they just not be bothered with the bar because it “makes money”?

Yeah yeah yeah, “slippery slope” and whatnot, but the bars are called “Trader Sam’s”. It violates whatever rule the company or fans set. It isn’t really the hypocrisy of the company, but the hypocrisy of the fan base that mainly bugs me. They’ll praise some of the additions, and cry foul at others, even if they both follow their “moral code”. I guess the zoomer/millennial fan base can make an exception if you can get drunk at the place.

Brer Panther

I hate to bring up Splash again (believe me I am tired of it) but it’s relevant. If the animatronic is supposed to be offensive, isn’t the bar “guilty by association” in the same way that the Brer’s and the America Sings animatronics are by being connected to the offensive live action bits of SotS? Or could they just not be bothered with the bar because it “makes money”?

Yeah yeah yeah, “slippery slope” and whatnot, but the bars are called “Trader Sam’s”. It violates whatever rule the company or fans set. It isn’t really the hypocrisy of the company, but the hypocrisy of the fan base that mainly bugs me. They’ll praise some of the additions, and cry foul at others, even if they both follow their “moral code”. I guess the zoomer/millennial fan base can make an exception if you can get drunk at the place.
Them not doing anything to the bar is probably just out of laziness more than anything else.

Come to think of it, wouldn't the Princess and the Frog ride be "guilty by association" in that it was once a ride based on Song of the South in the same way that the Brers are "guilty by association"?

Brer Oswald

Them not doing anything to the bar is probably just out of laziness more than anything else.

Come to think of it, wouldn't the Princess and the Frog ride be "guilty by association" in that it was once a ride based on Song of the South in the same way that the Brers are "guilty by association"?
No. The “source material” isn’t currently considered offensive, so PatF is fine in that regard.

JustInTime

I don’t see a way the bar comes out of this without changes. I think some decor and mugs will be removed. I can see a name change. Maybe they will pull in S.E.A.?

Horizons1

Laughing at stereotypes was never "fun" -- it was just cruel and elitist! You'd best check your majority privilege (along with your alcohol, chewing gum, cigarettes and vape boxes) at the front gate, or they won't take your $250 per person, per day.
I never thought of Trader Sam as stereotype. He was just some dude in the jungle selling shrunken heads. But if people want to see the character as a stereotype that’s on them.

Brer Oswald

I was never too attached to Jungle Cruise... I didn't ride it until I was about 13 or 14 years old, shockingly enough. I guess that's the difference between people attached to an old element due to "classic" or nostalgia and people just going with the flow because monkeys are jungle.
It’s the least interesting of the “Classic” Disney rides for me. I respect people who do love it, it’s just not my thing. Although, I like being surrounded by the foliage and looking at the primitive Disney animal figures.

JohnD

This is absolutely insane. Removing Trader Sam, really? Come on!

It was only a matter of time:
  • Red transformed from wench to pirate
  • Rumors that Splash Mountain will be transformed from characters from Song of the South to Princess and the Frog (remains to be seen)
  • Removing Trader Sam along with other changes to JC. I wouldn't be surprised if the headhunters earlier in the ride are also removed

AshaNeOmah

Just got off Jungle Cruise and realized he was gone. Wondered why I hadn't see anything about it. Didn't realize it happened last night.

Oh well.

Brer Oswald

I never thought of Trader Sam as stereotype. He was just some dude in the jungle selling shrunken heads. But if people want to see the character as a stereotype that’s on them.
The Disneyland one definitely seems to be. The Florida one is pretty ambiguous, aside from the face paint and I guess the shrunken heads.

The issue is that the shrunken heads are the schtick. That’s the joke, “two heads for one of yours”. It’s funny wordplay, but I’ll plead ignorance here, it’s probably offensive to someone’s culture. I think keeping the figure with slight changes to what he’s selling would be the smartest move. It’s not like he talks like pirates, so the execution can’t be as laughably bad.

Also, doesn’t the bar have a specialty drink that comes in a “shrunken head” cup?
540A9B6A-3FFB-43CD-8185-0FB117060943.jpeg

JustInTime

It was only a matter of time:
  • Red transformed from wench to pirate
  • Rumors that Splash Mountain will be transformed from characters from Song of the South to Princess and the Frog (remains to be seen)
  • Removing Trader Sam along with other changes to JC. I wouldn't be surprised if the headhunters earlier in the ride are also removed
They are removing the head hunters.
The Disneyland one definitely seems to be. The Florida one is pretty ambiguous, aside from the face paint and I guess the shrunken heads.

The issue is that the shrunken heads are the schtick. That’s the joke, “two heads for one of yours”. It’s funny wordplay, but I’ll plead ignorance here, it’s probably offensive to someone’s culture. I think keeping the figure with slight changes to what he’s selling would be the smartest move. It’s not like he talks like pirates, so the execution can’t be as laughably bad.

Also, doesn’t the bar have a specialty drink that comes in a “shrunken head” cup?
View attachment 545445
I don’t see the bar reopening without changes.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom