Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

JoeCamel

It's not that simple -- I don't think there's any way to position those frogs so that every leg looked like it was in the right place while also not looking like the frog was about to fall backwards off the log. I think the whole figure would need to be redesigned.

That's really what I meant about giving them leeway with little to no budget (if that's the case). I'm thinking they didn't have the time or money to design and redesign prototypes so that it looked perfect. I'm imagining it was more along the lines of "let's quickly get something fabricated that looks like the original frogs".
Just change the log to match the foot position. Easy to make bumps, knots etc

Phil12

Just change the log to match the foot position. Easy to make bumps, knots etc
They just need to make some model railroad clump bushes and moss glued down to the log. That will fill in any and all gaps between the frogs web feet and the log. They could ask the local model railroad club to do the job for free! And WDW would get a few extra points for community involvement.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

The lack of movement doesn't bother me, but the floating legs are unfortunate.
Imagineering used to pride themselves on attention to detail - like the moveable type in Gutenberg's printing press is Spaceship Earth.

Now they can't even make stationary frogs unless they defy gravity. I can hear the tour guide now...

"and here we have the infamous floating frogs, which would have actually sat on the logs had we not granted Bob Iger $19,254,055 in total compensation...."

Dragonman

I don’t see why they couldn’t have just pulled the original ones out of the archives if they still exist (maybe someone knowledgeable like @marni1971 would know) and hooked them back up. Anyone know what currently exists in their original spot?
6450D7BE-9EF7-4336-BE6C-C1834BBB1209.jpeg

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I don’t see why they couldn’t have just pulled the original ones out of the archives if they still exist (maybe someone knowledgeable like @marni1971 would know) and hooked them back up. Anyone know what currently exists in their original spot?
View attachment 596346
Most things once removed do not go into the archives. I'm sure the original frogs were long, loooong gone.

Generally the archives only takes ownership of items considered to be especially noteworthy in the history of the company. Regardless of what WE think about them, the animated frogs would not have made that cut.

note2001

Most things once removed do not go into the archives. I'm sure the original frogs were long, loooong gone.

Generally the archives only takes ownership of items considered to be especially noteworthy in the history of the company. Regardless of what WE think about them, the animated frogs would not have made that cut.

Are you saying they croaked?

I'll show myself out.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's not that simple -- I don't think there's any way to position those frogs so that every leg looked like it was in the right place while also not looking like the frog was about to fall backwards off the log. I think the whole figure would need to be redesigned.

That's really what I meant about giving them leeway with little to no budget (if that's the case). I'm thinking they didn't have the time or money to design and redesign prototypes so that it looked perfect. I'm imagining it was more along the lines of "let's quickly get something fabricated that looks like the original frogs".
Actually, it is quite simple. Lol. Technical design major here. I guarantee you, it’s not rocket science... nor would it cost more than 5 bucks to get right.

Dragonman

I’m sure you’ve all seen these by now but here’s the only two known videos featuring the original animated frogs. As you can see the larger ones had belly and mouth movement while the smaller ones only had the latter.

EeyoreFan#24

This is an interesting question (to me at least) about when an animatronic/effect is removed. Do they remove the supporting infrastructure along with it. My guess is most are abandon in place. For example, with the frogs or the pirate parrot - are there utilities buried in the dirt or behind the patched wall on the column that can be excavated and reactivated?

Probably really depends on the end goal and future plans. Maybe with the removals it’s abandoned and covered, but with upgrades - say pneumatic/hydraulic to electrical and no plan to look back - the infrastructure ripped out too?

Anyone have any insight? I find these things interesting.

Movielover

So the original Marc Davis animated frogs didn't meet show standards and were removed and now they have decades later been replaced with non moving stock frogs that were not even custom made to fit the show environment?
It's almost as if the people running the company now in 2021 are not the same people who ran the company in the 70's...

R.f4cca8430dd03781c7128a594ec25c0c

UNCgolf

Actually, it is quite simple. Lol. Technical design major here. I guarantee you, it’s not rocket science... nor would it cost more than 5 bucks to get right.

How? There's no way to make every leg look like it's on the log with that current design; something would be floating no matter what. Either the frog figures would have to change or the log would have to change.

If you're saying the positioning could be adjusted so the floating wouldn't be quite as bad, I agree with that. I'm pretty sure they would only fit properly with no floating at all on a completely flat surface, though.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom