Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Dragonman

You know the part about the chimps hijacking a boat sounds awfully familiar...
0201F0AA-456D-4EF1-9059-8C84FE1E5F78.jpeg

Last edited:

doctornick

What, in your opinion, would make the character racist? Just trying to understand your perspective. If MK's Trader Sam isn't racist as it is, is there anything that might push it into that category for you?

It's tough to really answer that question. I think I would need to frame it more as "is this acceptable or not for a theme park?" - ultimately, anything can be viewed by someone as racist but there's a line somewhere where things on one side are too stereotyped/potentially offensive as to unreasonable for a theme park versus the other side of the line where maybe some people might not like them but they would generally be acceptable to the vast majority.

For me, I would argue that the DL version of Trader Sam falls in the "unacceptable" side and should be changed:
1611708703027.png

And MK falls under the "acceptable" side. The latter is just more whimsical and not stereotypical of any particular race or culture that it seems reasonable for a theme park setting. As I mentioned, getting rid of the shrunken heads would address the most concerning aspect, as the character design is fine.

UNCgolf

Ya know, natives weren't part of the original version of JC in DL.

But a few years after the changes are made, no one will complain. Just like no one complains (anymore) about the changes to the people up a pole, or that they took away the skippers' pistols...

Essentially the same point I've been making.

This whole situation feels like people mad simply because anything at all is changing, not because they actually believe it's going to make the ride worse.

doctornick

Essentially the same point I've been making.

This whole situation feels like people mad simply because anything at all is changing, not because they actually believe it's going to make the ride worse.

Yeah. Based on what they released and how this is all framed, I think most people will be perfectly fine with the changes. As long as the humor with the skippers remains, people will still enjoy it and get over any changes quickly. Personally I think some of the changes might be unnecessary, but ultimately they aren't any big deal. This is vastly different from Splash Mountain.

I think the biggest "concern" about Jungle Cruise would be that the changes would be poorly done (on the cheap) and look that way - but would even that be out of place on this corny ride?

Brer Oswald

Yeah. Based on what they released and how this is all framed, I think most people will be perfectly fine with the changes. As long as the humor with the skippers remains, people will still enjoy it and get over any changes quickly. Personally I think some of the changes might be unnecessary, but ultimately they aren't any big deal. This is vastly different from Splash Mountain.

I think the biggest "concern" about Jungle Cruise would be that the changes would be poorly done (on the cheap) and look that way - but would even that be out of place on this corny ride?
Bolded for emphasis, and anyone who says it’s anywhere near similar will get a chuckle and a head shake from this guy.
Not a reply cause...why waste energy :hilarious:

Sharon&Susan

But a few years after the changes are made, no one will complain. Just like no one complains (anymore) about the changes to the people up a pole, or that they took away the skippers' pistols...
The natives were there in the original version, but it was more of a "observe us first and then attack us" type of thing. While not shown in Disneyland USA footage from '56 at the end the natives attacked, not with darts but instead a spear.

corran horn

Theming it to the movie would've been a bad idea in my opinion. It would've looked dated within 5 years. And not in a good way.

These changes are appropriate and interesting to me.

Dragonman

The natives were there in the original version, but it was more of a "observe us first and then attack us" type of thing. While not shown in Disneyland USA footage from '56 at the end the natives attacked, not with darts but instead a spear.

There’s some good footage of them here at 9:05 and 9:18:

Last edited:

UNCgolf

That's the thing. Most of the scenes already look cheap and outdated. Not because they were cheap when it was originally built, but because of advances in technology. I don't think anyone is impressed by any of the animals in the ride, but there's no reason to update them to something more modern when you can go see the real thing a few miles away. The old, kitschy nature of it is the Jungle Cruise now.

I don't see how any changes could possibly affect that.

Last edited:

_caleb

From my perspective, the announced changes to Jungle Cruise is similar to the Splash Mountain announcement in that it's not about the number of people who might have complained about racial insensitivities in the Jungle Cruise. It's about Disney as an organization asking itself if there's anything in the parks that might somehow communicate that some guests aren't welcome. They've identified a handful of things (see @WDW Pro 's list) that they want to change because they find them insensitive.

I've used the example before of inviting Muslim friends over for dinner. If you want your guests to feel welcome, you don't include pork on the menu. This is a separate issue from whether you enjoy pork, or you have a right to eat pork, or your guests complain about you serving pork.

It seems to me that only a very ignorant or mean-spirited person would insist the host serve pork anyway.

corran horn

That's the thing. Most of the scenes already look cheap and outdated. Not because they were cheap when it was originally built, but because of advances in technology. I don't think anyone is impressed by any of the animals in the ride, but there's no reason to update them to something more modern when you can go see the real thing a few miles away. The old, kitschy nature of it is the Jungle Cruise now.

Heck, I think they should use the same 'art style' and close to the tech so the parts they don't change won't look so strikingly different.

By the art, it seems like they've tried to guard against that.

JustInTime

I honestly don’t remember what they changed about the people on the pole??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom