Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

LittleBuford

Didn't they do the same with pirates using cool concept art before SJWing it even though it wasn't in the photos?
The poster claimed that the redesigned scene featured only white characters (implying that some sort of “reverse racism” was at play). The only thing we have to go on at the moment is the concept art, which shows the poster’s characterisation to be false. That’s all I was trying to say.

JohnD

Same company is also removing uncle ben for the same reason.
These companies can be absolute cowards and Disney isn't helping their case.

Offensive! Again, the solution is to remove African Americans from products?????
images

doctornick

But that's the problem. He's a caricature. Someone is offended. And being offended is now sacrosanct. Sam has to go.

Right, just like the new figures on the pole will be caricatures. Just like the ones in POTC. Sure, there's always someone that can be offended, but if you can't allow a caricature on a ride, then basically that means no AAs of any human should ever be at a Disney park.

UNCgolf

I still don't understand why people care so much about these changes.

Whenever I've expressed an opinion that they should just demolish the ride and replace it with something better (I think it's tremendously outdated and mostly pointless with the existence of Animal Kingdom), fans generally tell me it's the skipper and jokes that make it a great ride, not the scenes themselves. If that's the case, how does changing any of the scenes affect the enjoyment for the people who love it? You'll just get a few new jokes out of it. They're not eliminating the ride, and these changes mean it will probably stay around for many more years.

If the argument is that it's a Walt Disney original, well, it's not what Walt really wanted anyways. He wanted to build something like the Kiliminjaro Safari with real animals -- they ended up not using live animals for several reasons, but the ride was still originally narrated like a nature documentary. The puns/jokes came a bit later, I think because they realized the ride wasn't really working.

JohnD

Right, just like the new figures on the pole will be caricatures. Just like the ones in POTC. Sure, there's always someone that can be offended, but if you can't allow a caricature on a ride, then basically that means no AAs of any human should ever be at a Disney park.

I'm actually agreeing with you. Just saying a caricature of (pick your race even though we can't figure out what race Sam is) will not be allowed to stand.

_caleb

But here's the thing - at least in regards to Trader Sam which seems the most debated concern here: what "race" is Trader Sam? Who gets to decide an "acceptable" way to present him? For reference, here is what the Magic Kingdom version of Trader Sam looks like (note: the DL version of him is more problematic and I would advocate changing him to something more similar to the MK one):

View attachment 526860

This is a cartoonish caricature. It's silly with random props - a hat? an umbrella??? - and doesn't particularly evoke any particular race or culture. And the premise of the joke is that he's a salesman, not a hunter or "savage" or someone attacking you.
Do you think anyone is going to look at this character and assume this is a White explorer? Does this depict a person with dignity? The joke is “look at the funny uncivilized guy who learned capitalism! How clever for a savage!” (Obviously I’m exaggerating to make my point clear here.) And you do see what he’s ”selling,” right?

“It’s just a joke, lighten up!” isn’t a great defense. What‘s it to you if Disney thinks this needs to be changed?

doctornick

Offensive! Again, the solution is to remove African Americans from products?????

I'm actually with you on this. I get that the origins of Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben are rooted in offensive stereotypes but the modern day usage is just of some unoffensive AA people. At this point in history they were actually positive images by having AA images that were part of normal advertising marketed at a wide audience. I actually find it sad that they were removed since it results in less representation for people of color in product marketing.

I mean, I understand the rationale, but it strikes me as a "the cure is worse than the disease" decision.

MovieFan28

Do you think anyone is going to look at this character and assume this is a White explorer? Does this depict a person with dignity? The joke is “look at the funny uncivilized guy who learned capitalism! How clever for a savage!” (Obviously I’m exaggerating to make my point clear here.) And you do see what he’s ”selling,” right?

“It’s just a joke, lighten up!” isn’t a great defense. What‘s it to you if Disney thinks this needs to be changed?
He's a salesman. What's so racist about that? All cultures have a salesman of some type. Disney is a salesman type of company and them claiming they are removing him for diversity is such hypocrisy.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The dancing natives and the ambushing natives are across the water from each other, meaning there's either a 3rd scene they're not showing us or they're leaving the stretch of river between the boat and Schweitzer Falls blank..
Kind of what I was thinking. I still think there's another scene or two they haven't disclosed yet.

_caleb

I'm actually agreeing with you. Just saying a caricature of (pick your race even though we can't figure out what race Sam is) will not be allowed to stand.
Caricatures are based on exaggerating physical traits that are foreign to the one drawing the caricature. And when you do it to people who have been historically marginalized, it's poor taste.
He's a salesman. What's so racist about that? All cultures have a salesman of some type. Disney is a salesman type of company and them claiming they are removing him for diversity is such hypocrisy.
The answer to the question "what's racist about the native guy being a salesman?" Is found in the answer to the question, "What's funny about the native guy being a salesman?"

Satans Hockey

Might be an unpopular opinion with some of the don't change anything to old rides Disney fans but I think this is great that they are updating it.

The last few times I went on it at both parks I thought it was a bit stale and boring simply cause it was the same thing for so many years. These new updates at least will give it a nice refresher and a reason to go back on it at some point. It's not like they are gutting the ride entirely.

Sue_Vongello

Two rides that no one wants to be replaced.
Not surprising really...
This isn't journey into imagination with figment that needs a redo with figment.

This is different than Splash though. The proposal for Splash is a total redo - taking out a theme and atmosphere people love (that also fits into the land) and based on the budget projections that are rumored not replacing it with much substance (again rumored budget). The fear is real though because Splash has so many animatronics and is so beloved and people fear those things that make it so special will go away in favor of screens or whatever. It’s all unknown so it’s hard to debate that point really. (Although the in WDW the new theme won’t fit at all and THAT SHOULD matter but I digress.)

However, the point remains it’s a much more drastic and controversial decision than simply updating Jungle Cruise and adding some story. They aren’t fundamentally changing what the jungle Cruise is, what it’s appeal is, or shoehorning IP into ... so in reality they are finally doing what we all have begged them to do with these updates ... don’t muck with the formula, don’t fundamentally change the attraction, don’t take out random things for pointless reasons, and don’t shove random IP into it and for that I’m so grateful. I feel like with this redo they FINALLY get what we actually want. Hopefully, it’s a good sign.

Is the removing of the cannibals stupid because it’s offensive to the cannibal community? Of course. But all in all this is nothing like Splash and should be applauded because they aren’t messing with the formula.

that’s my two cents.

MaryJaneP

okay. How do AA's get properly included in products today, not limited to just the JC?

What race is "Betty Crocker"?

What products and how do we include whomever?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom