Jungle Cruise guns.

Figment1986

Frumpy said:
They don't shoot to kill the cute little Hippo anymore either, they shoot up in the air and scare him (her?) away.. it's not as tragic for all the little hippo loving guests that way :animwink:

"and here are our proud 11 hippoes.. (shoots gun..(sound messed up)) well 10 now.... That was suppost to be a gun shot"

:lol: :sohappy: :sohappy: :lol:

I loved the guy with the 25th anniversary badge on yesterday... He made the ride great.. esp with that line..

MagliteL13

bomberman said:
Does the jungle cruise boats run on a track?????

Of course not.... ;)

figment1986 said:
"and here are our proud 11 hippoes.. (shoots gun..(sound messed up)) well 10 now.... That was suppost to be a gun shot"

:lol: :sohappy: :sohappy: :lol:

I loved the guy with the 25th anniversary badge on yesterday... He made the ride great.. esp with that line..

Do you remember his name? --I'll pass the compliment along if you do.

"One little two little three little hippos, four little five little BANG! four little hippos!"

SilentWindODoom

Huzzah!

Man, I tell you what, don't care if it's prerecorded. They're shooting the Hippo again, and I'm so happy.:sohappy:

I went on three times last trip, and it wasn't the same without it. I kept watching the hippo he was supposed to shoot, and it was sad. This is great, and mayhaps this bodes well for a reversal of another change or two in Disney.

Quick question about the old school JC (There's no school like the old school). Who was in charge of keeping track of the Blanks for the guns? Did the individual skippers keep track of their guns or was everybody reloaded at the same time? What kinda blanks are they?

Also, Did anybody ever have a ride where the skipper had forgotten to reload the gun?

-DGJake

Sledge

Account Suspended
DisneyGuyJake said:
Quick question about the old school JC (There's no school like the old school). Who was in charge of keeping track of the Blanks for the guns? Did the individual skippers keep track of their guns or was everybody reloaded at the same time? What kinda blanks are they?

Also, Did anybody ever have a ride where the skipper had forgotten to reload the gun?

-DGJake

Sometimes you can see the skippers reloading the guns themselves once their last crew unloads and they are waiting to reload the boat with new guest.

Apparently the shots fired also have special meanings. When I was at Disneyland last time it seemed like they fired off more shots then usual (I was on the dock waiting but you could hear the shots from the jungle) and I heard one of the CM say "They just fired (x amount) of shots." and then they all rushed around. Turns out that one of the boats broke down and they had to go get it and haul it out. I asked about the different number of shots and different amounts mean different things.

One doesn't mean anything.
Two means everything is normal and ok.
Three means the boat has lost its power and is stalled.
Four shots is for emergencies such as a fire or other serious condition.
Five shots isn't used.
Six shots means a boat is derailed.

bgraham34

Sledge said:
Sometimes you can see the skippers reloading the guns themselves once their last crew unloads and they are waiting to reload the boat with new guest.

Apparently the shots fired also have special meanings. When I was at Disneyland last time it seemed like they fired off more shots then usual (I was on the dock waiting but you could hear the shots from the jungle) and I heard one of the CM say "They just fired (x amount) of shots." and then they all rushed around. Turns out that one of the boats broke down and they had to go get it and haul it out. I asked about the different number of shots and different amounts mean different things.

One doesn't mean anything.
Two means everything is normal and ok.
Three means the boat has lost its power and is stalled.
Four shots is for emergencies such as a fire or other serious condition.
Five shots isn't used.
Six shots means a boat is derailed.

Interesting.

MagliteL13

bgraham34 said:
Interesting.

I remember hearing one of the older skippers say that was the case before we got radios over here as well. Now since we've got Nextel, it's kinda win/lose. Everytime you hear something, that phone's gotta be up to your ear for you to hear anything--and lately we've been having at least one boat stall a day.

Scruffy

CTXRover said:
They added back the guns a while ago. I think I remember seeing them back as recently as last December. Unfortunately, I think they are pretty cheesy as the sound of the gun going off is simply over the speakers on each of the boats. I've heard Tokyo's JC guns are the same way. In contrast, the skippers at DL's JC got guns back too, but they are like the old guns that made a loud bang. Much more convincing that way. Either way, I was glad they loosened up a bit from the "everything must be politically correct" era the parks went through a while ago. If now they could only change back some of those scenes in Pirates ;)

I just got back from Disneyland the guns and back they are not a recording. Their is a big bang from when they are fired off. Also not sure if anyone has said this but their is a monkey with a gun also at Disneyland that fires it off.

SilentWindODoom

Hmm... I knew there were signals for two and three shots, but didn't realize they all meant something, except for 5. I don't know about that, though. What happens if they have already shot the hippo and then derail? What if there is one blank? It doesn't seem reasonable to have 6 shots signal derailment.

Wbnemo1

25th anniversary badge guy

lol..... I know that silly sod! ,err...guy !:D There's only one skipper that wears this badge that i know of :) Me! :wave: :hammer: jungle is fun , we used to have recorded speil buttons that would play a sound card if pressed. I had someone record my entire spiel on it, then used it on the cruise..... fun stuff...also had rim shots , clapping, crickets chirping, and a few songs which i'd play while pulling up to the load area, my favorite was "Whale of a tail"
Guns: been a while on this one
We were responsible for our own reloading and unloading of the blanks
red for normal use and black for Distress shots...with one exception
morning skippers set up the boats and sometimes we , I mean they!(especially on skips they knew) secretly replaced the red ones with black...not good if you weren't paying attention...Black bullets were very, very loud and if fired within the canopy made ya deaf for a bit..that and the two foot flame out the front of the barrel..
A lot of us older skips would load while in the temple, so by the time we got back to the dock, we or the next skipper were loaded(cheers!)
hope this helps!:zipit:
Best,
William

Wbnemo1

lol jeremy,
are you using my 1 little ,2 little, 3 little hippos line? go for it if ya are....... i change up all the time anyhoo..see ya at Jungle!
William

MagliteL13

Wbnemo1 said:
lol jeremy,
are you using my 1 little ,2 little, 3 little hippos line? go for it if ya are....... i change up all the time anyhoo..see ya at Jungle!
William

Nah, I'm more of a tree hippos kinda guy-- although I've always loved that line.

Figment1986

Wbnemo1 said:
lol jeremy,
William

Great job.. I did got o ceity hafll and give compliment....

you probebly forget the b-day teen who would keep laughing...
(should have taken your picture..)

Dragonrider1227

mikeymouse said:
But thats the way actual pirates were. I think better be historically correct than politically correct.
agreed. I thought the changes were dumb. THEY'RE PIRATES, PEOPLE! What? Now the bad guys have to be role models too? :veryconfu

BeckyLSawyer

SilentWindODoom said:
Man, I tell you what, don't care if it's prerecorded. They're shooting the Hippo again, and I'm so happy.:sohappy:

I went on three times last trip, and it wasn't the same without it. I kept watching the hippo he was supposed to shoot, and it was sad. This is great, and mayhaps this bodes well for a reversal of another change or two in Disney.

CORRECTION: We do NOT shoot hippos. That's wrong! That's why they were taken away in the first place. We DO NOT shoot hippos. At least not the ones in the water... Tree hippos are dangerous. Avoid at all costs...

(Hehe. FACT: Skippers are supposed to shoot in the air. With the exception of several skippers who can get away with it, **co-babs-ugh** all skippers must aim high and make a big deal about missing... Tree hippos, hippo-shota-miss, run out of bullets... The guns were originally taken because we were going against Animal Kingdom's Anti-Poaching Scenes.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom