News Jungle Cruise closing for refurbishment in late August

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
According to the Walt Disney World refurbishment calendar, Jungle Cruise at Magic Kingdom is scheduled to close for refurbishment beginning August 26, 2024.

No end has been provided and it is listed on the refurbishment calendar through the last date currently available, September 17, 2024.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 6.16.38 AM.png

Last edited:

peter11435

Big Thunder mountain closed for a year ---Jungle cruise close in Sep for who knows how long, Test Track closed Gate tickets will be reduced accordingly ---NOT
Attractions should routinely close for refurbishment. There should almost never be a time that every attraction in any of the parks is open. Disneys lazy track record of maintaining their attractions at WDW has driven guests to expect everything to be open all the time. Check out a Tokyo Disneyland refurbishment schedule and see how a world class theme park should operate.

Gusey

Interesting that the tier 1 lightning lane mulitpass attractions at Magic Kingdom are getting all these refurbs. If Big Thunder Mountain is set to close for a year, it could be next year when all of the full tier 1 lineup are actually open.

Purduevian

So Pan>JC>Thunder is the assumption, only have a single tier 1 attraction down at a time seems pretty reasonable.

I thought it was odd the big thunder was in the tier 1 category, but I think it's basically just covering for refurbs.

Also for fun... does anyone think this could be prep work for accessing Beyond Pirates for Moana?

James Alucobond

Attractions should routinely close for refurbishment. There should almost never be a time that every attraction in any of the parks is open. Disneys lazy track record of maintaining their attractions at WDW has driven guests to expect everything to be open all the time. Check out a Tokyo Disneyland refurbishment schedule and see how a world class theme park should operate.
Agreed. An OLC-style refurbishment calendar would be nice for planning purposes, though.

GalacticZero

It looks like they're figuring out TBA's downtime issues. And with BTMRR going down for a year, they need Pirates and Jungle Cruise to be rock-solid.
I had just made a touring plan for MK this morning with Jungle Cruise in September. Went to optimize it and that's when I found out it was closing. That's one way to get the news!

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
They're adding Dwayne Johnson as an AA finally. Trust me on this one. He's gonna be talking about his new movie deal with Disney and how he's gonna take control of WWE.

The boat approaches as he is burying bags of cash (with $ signs and hidden Mickeys) in the jungle and, surprised, he turns around to give a little pec flex and toothy smile to distract everyone. The skipper looks him up and down and says "Wow! That's a Rock and hard place I wouldn't mind being stuck between!"

FerretAfros

The parks also need to have adequate attraction capacity so that some attractions can be closed for routine refurbishments, and the park as a whole still has enough to absorb the guests.

Guests should easily be able to fill a satisfying day without having to do every single attraction in the park. This allows for routine maintenance and improvements, unplanned downtime, and simply different matters of guest taste/interest.

This is where the WDW parks really struggle, since years of underinvestment despite increasing crowds have left 4 parks that can barely keep up, even on an ideal day when everything is running. The situation is noticeably worse when the current capacity is reduced in any way, which is part of why WDW is so reluctant to close attractions for maintenance, instead relying on what little can be done overnight. Each park has its own specific needs, but adding (not replacing/reskinning) 3-5 new attractions of various types to each park would go a long way toward getting back on track. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like that sort of investment will happen any time soon, by which point the current problems will only have grown worse.

Disstevefan1

According to the Walt Disney World refurbishment calendar, Jungle Cruise at Magic Kingdom is scheduled to close for refurbishment beginning August 26, 2024.

No end has been provided and it is listed on the refurbishment calendar through the last date currently available, September 17, 2024.

View attachment 798203

Just what we needed another closed attraction.

I know the facades are falling off, but they should have made these repairs when they closed to make the cultural sensitivity updates.

Last edited:

arich35

Did Disney actually announce the closing date for Big Thunder?
Not that I have seen but if I would have to guess it will be after Jungle Cruise is done, just hope they maybe wait until the beginning of 2025 and get through the holidays instead of possibly having it down for two straight holiday seasons in 2024/2025

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom