JUNGLE CRUISE (2019) Film S.E.A. Tie-In?

FigmentJedi

If it's a successful movie then expect the entire ride to change...
To what? The Rock's voiceover and barely moving figure somewhere? Yay? No thanks. They can leave it alone.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they tied it to S.E.A. Maybe it's more of a nod to S.E.A., like a wink wink thing, instead of tying it directly to it?
I'm expecting the magical "tree of life" that serves as the movie's MacGuffin to replace the Natives or something.

Kman101

I'm expecting the magical "tree of life" that serves as the movie's MacGuffin to replace the Natives or something.

Depending on what the movie entails I definitely could see them doing something different in the tunnel. Just a hunch. I'd have to see the movie first to even think of what they could do to the ride. People just seem to be jumping on the idea of changing the ride without even seeing the movie first ...

geekza

People just seem to be jumping on the idea of changing the ride without even seeing the movie first ...
Only because we're in the era of "I.P. Freeley" Bob Iger. I kind of want the movie to fail, partially because I'd like to see Disney films stop mining the past, but mostly because my fear is that we'll have another situation like we did with Pirates where "the great unwashed" would start asking where The Rock is after they've ridden Jungle Cruise, leading to a hastily-constructed AA and locations from the film shoehorned into the ride.

TwilightZone

Only because we're in the era of "I.P. Freeley" Bob Iger. I kind of want the movie to fail, partially because I'd like to see Disney films stop mining the past, but mostly because my fear is that we'll have another situation like we did with Pirates where "the great unwashed" would start asking where The Rock is after they've ridden Jungle Cruise, leading to a hastily-constructed AA and locations from the film shoehorned into the ride.
I.P. Freely sounds like the name of a new character.
The adventures of I.P. Freely

HoraceHorizons

Original Poster

What bothers me so much about stuff like this is that there is an easy, smarter, compromise. Instead of just doing whatever they want and then changing the ride to that stuff, the better idea is to take the ride and enhance all the elements that are already there, write a film purely about that stuff without adding a bunch of giant elaborations and then just enhance those elements on the ride, w/o sacrificing its integrity.

When I see films like HAUNTED MANSION, I end up just thinking "Why was any of this extra stuff necessary?" and so the writing seems lazy and as if they didnt want to make a movie about the ride, and instead wanted to make a movie solely to change the ride.

HoraceHorizons

Original Poster
I thank the Theme Park Gods every day for the failure of the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion movie. I tried to watch it for the first time this past week and had to turn it off after a half-hour. So much squandered potential.

But the obviously smarter and in good hands, Guillermo Del Toro film was scrapped! Go figure.

Kman101

I think it has more to do with The Rock starring in the movie that people are suddenly a-ok with an overlay. This kind of thing would have usually been met with anger at the idea. I'm just surprised at those who are so willing to accept a refresh without even knowing what that would entail and not even seeing the movie yet.

I don't want a refresh because I too fear it gets the Pirates treatment. And all anyone will care about is seeing The Rock's AA.

I'm waiting until I see more from the movie before I even consider if I'd want a refresh.

And for those who say "well it will happen if the movie's a hit". I'm well aware of that ;)

Kman101

What bothers me so much about stuff like this is that there is an easy, smarter, compromise. Instead of just doing whatever they want and then changing the ride to that stuff, the better idea is to take the ride and enhance all the elements that are already there, write a film purely about that stuff without adding a bunch of giant elaborations and then just enhance those elements on the ride, w/o sacrificing its integrity.

When I see films like HAUNTED MANSION, I end up just thinking "Why was any of this extra stuff necessary?" and so the writing seems lazy and as if they didnt want to make a movie about the ride, and instead wanted to make a movie solely to change the ride.

THIS!

If the ride truly gets "enhanced" in a good way, I'd be thrilled. But we know their history with "overlays". I don't have faith in it. Personally I suggest everyone frothing for a refresh just wait a minute and remember what they do.

FigmentJedi

Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion was basically a loose adaptation of the famous Cast Member fanfic backstory of Master Gracey and his doomed wedding. Only major thing the scriptwriters really invented was the unnecessary "every ghost in the house is trapped under a curse and really wishes they weren't here right now" angle that missed the entire point of the ride.

It's a simultaneously faithful and unfaithful adaptation of the Haunted Mansion in putting a lot of effort into re-imagining that lore for a wider audience, but dropping the ball in tone and script in very specific places.

geekza

Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion was basically a loose adaptation of the famous Cast Member fanfic backstory of Master Gracey and his doomed wedding. Only major thing the scriptwriters really invented was the unnecessary "every ghost in the house is trapped under a curse and really wishes they weren't here right now" angle that missed the entire point of the ride.

It's a simultaneously faithful and unfaithful adaptation of the Haunted Mansion in putting a lot of effort into re-imagining that lore for a wider audience, but dropping the ball in tone and script in very specific places.
Plus, it was a comedy that wasn't funny. The Art Direction of the film was amazing, as was the use of GGG in the score. The script was just terrible.

FigmentFan82

Would love to see (lol) some SEA inclusion, as well as the big man Trader Sam. Sometimes it seems like stuff like that is so obvious, yet to those making the films, I guess they miss the boat (groan) :)

Kman101

Would love to see (lol) some SEA inclusion, as well as the big man Trader Sam. Sometimes it seems like stuff like that is so obvious, yet to those making the films, I guess they miss the boat (groan) :)

This.

I think it's one of the reasons Marvel movies are so loved. They check off all the right boxes for their fans and deliver, to them, compelling movies that give them what they want. (I like the Marvel movies but I don't go nuts for them; I grew up on Superman and Batman, sadly the DC universe could take a lesson). Star Wars didn't give fans what they wanted (although sometimes I don't think they even know what they want).

There needs to be care involved in making something like this. (Not saying there won't be, but just saying).

erasure fan1

Sometimes it seems like stuff like that is so obvious, yet to those making the films, I guess they miss the boat (groan) :)
Yea, too often the people making the films, think they know what the fans want more than the fans. It always makes me wonder why "fan" type films don't always have fan focus groups. You can't just cater to the fans, but they can be a great resource.
There needs to be care involved in making something like this. (Not saying there won't be, but just saying).
Agreed. Hopefully someone had a great idea (like pirates curse of the black pearl) and not just hey lets see what else we can tie a movie into. A movie like this generally goes really good or epic fail. So hopefully they are doing right by the IP.

HoraceHorizons

Original Poster
Yea, too often the people making the films, think they know what the fans want more than the fans. It always makes me wonder why "fan" type films don't always have fan focus groups. You can't just cater to the fans, but they can be a great resource.

Agree! But in the case of something like a classic Disney ride, which is still very much flourishing and in-FASTPASS-demand, I think it starts to reek of them just not trusting the fans or just losing their vision or something like that.

We literally have this ride in the 2 most visited theme parks in the world, where you cant keep people out of their queue's... What more justification could it take to just think: let's not try to fix what isn't broken? Am I right?

Im not saying they can't or shouldn't make enhancements to keep up with the times, to an extent, but it hurts to see them throw away the proverbial baby with the river-water.

Anyway, I'm optimistic and hoping this films gets it right! ...And we start to see a SEA cinematic universe.

KUNGALOOSH!

jt04

Agree! But in the case of something like a classic Disney ride, which is still very much flourishing and in-FASTPASS-demand, I think it starts to reek of them just not trusting the fans or just losing their vision or something like that.

We literally have this ride in the 2 most visited theme parks in the world, where you cant keep people out of their queue's... What more justification could it take to just think: let's not try to fix what isn't broken? Am I right?

Im not saying they can't or shouldn't make enhancements to keep up with the times, to an extent, but it hurts to see them throw away the proverbial baby with the river-water.

Anyway, I'm optimistic and hoping this films gets it right! ...And we start to see a SEA cinematic universe.

KUNGALOOSH!

SEA based jungle cruise to DAK. Moana replaces JC at MK.

Mic drop.

MotherOfBirds

I thank the Theme Park Gods every day for the failure of the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion movie. I tried to watch it for the first time this past week and had to turn it off after a half-hour. So much squandered potential.

Makes a fantastic drinking game, though. Drink when:
1. A ride element appears
2. You remember why Eddie Murphy is unemployed
3. You feel bad for Rick Baker
4. You long for death
5. Finish your drink as you're dragged into hell with Terrence Stamp

Instead, we got Pepe Le Queue, which isn't worse, but dear lord....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom