Juneteenth vs July 4

OrlandoRising

I’ve been struggling to decide between doing an Orlando trip around Juneteenth (June 19) or Fourth of July, so I thought the hive mind here could help.

The airfare and hotel prices are about the same and the weather will be unpleasantly hot for both sets of dates, but those are my two options. I know far more adults have July 4 off as a holiday than Juneteenth, yet crowd calendars actually predict lower levels for the former -- maybe people are scared off by the expectation that it will be busier? I'm not sure.

Which one would you all pick and why?

DisneyFanatic12

Okay, so this is somewhat tough. Magic Kingdom and EPCOT both celebrate the 4th of July with similar festivities and fireworks to their New Year's Eve parties. Also similar to NYE, Magic Kingdom does the same party on both the 3rd and 4th so that more guests can experience the party.

Historically, the 3rd and 4th would be no short than absolutely packed, but post-Covid, it's become a LOT more manageable. Same thing with Christmas Day these last few years.

I think the biggest thing is how often you go. For me, hearing them pump pop music throughout the park and partying with an amazing fireworks display is fun, but if you do not visit very often, you might prefer the more regular experience that Juneteenth would provide, without the added festivities and leaving more theming available to see.

Upvote 0

OrlandoRising

Original Poster
I think the biggest thing is how often you go. For me, hearing them pump pop music throughout the park and partying with an amazing fireworks display is fun, but if you do not visit very often, you might prefer the more regular experience that Juneteenth would provide, without the added festivities and leaving more theming available to see.

I go at least once a year, usually twice, and I've never been interested in any of those small additions like a dance party or extra fireworks. I probably wouldn't be inside the Magic Kingdom precisely on the 4th for that reason, just on one day around that timeframe (say between July 2-7).

What I AM interested in is avoiding the absolute busiest days while maximizing my chances to see most of the 2024 additions in Orlando in one trip. That includes Tiana's Bayou Adventure at MK, DreamWorks Land and the new nighttime show at Universal Studios Florida which both open on June 14, and SeaWorld's new coaster (safe to assume that will be open in June). The Juneteenth time frame seems a tad risky for Tiana's now.

Upvote 0

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I’ve been struggling to decide between doing an Orlando trip around Juneteenth (June 19) or Fourth of July, so I thought the hive mind here could help.

The airfare and hotel prices are about the same and the weather will be unpleasantly hot for both sets of dates, but those are my two options. I know far more adults have July 4 off as a holiday than Juneteenth, yet crowd calendars actually predict lower levels for the former -- maybe people are scared off by the expectation that it will be busier? I'm not sure.

I say neither since it'll be the as hot as the surface of sun for both and will be crowded but if I had to choose go June 19th since it won't be as bad unless you really want to see the 4th fireworks. But hey TBA should be open so they'll be a water ride to cool you down.

Upvote 0

OrlandoRising

Original Poster
I say neither since it'll be the as hot as the surface of sun for both and will be crowded but if I had to choose go June 19th since it won't be as bad unless you really want to see the 4th fireworks. But hey TBA should be open so they'll be a water ride to cool you down.

Believe me, I know from experience that Orlando summer heat sucks, but that's just when new stuff is opening and also when I'm able to take vacation time.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Since there’s been no official opening date announced for TBA, and you’re set to go either of those dates, I’d choose the July 4 date since there’s no guarantee TBA will open to the public by June 19. No guarantee it’ll open by July 4 either.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

July 4th is a day many want to go primarily for the evening fireworks. Its a traditional park day for many. Because the fireworks shows are more extravagant than usual it brings in the locals and guests who have never experienced it before.
Juneteenth is a relatively new federal holiday ( compared to other federal ones that are observed ) that many people havent really gotten as excited about.
There is no comparison of how both dates are observed and how they are celebrated.
If I was to choose based solely on the possibility of crowds I'd skip July 4th. Tianas will be mobbed with virtual queue being used possibly, if it is opened and you may not have a chance to take it in on this trip anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

erstwo

I’ve been several times at the 4th of July/ 4th of July week but I’m not there to go sunup to sundown in the parks, so I’m not sure if this will help but here goes:
It’s crowded - but it’s hot (stick with me - I have a point 😬) - other than the actual 4th of July -lots of people bail on the parks by late afternoon. They want to go ‘home’ have pool time/ shower before dinner, etc.
Late evenings are your friend in more ways than one - the parks are usually open later that week to accommodate 4th crowds, it’s cooler, and a lot of people have left for the day. Not saying things are walk on, but it’s manageable.
We always go to Epcot for the fireworks on the 4th and usually stay at a hotel at the International Gateway so we can walk back to our room afterwards.
There have been days at the park the week of July 4th, I thought I was so hot that I would melt, but if you can handle the heat and manage your expectations of crowds - you will probably have a great trip that week.
I went through and found some photos - in 2021, on the actual 4th - it was a pretty temperate day - my son is wearing jeans and boots and my father in law is also wearing pants. So maybe it’s not always surface of the sun hot!
IMG_5816.jpeg

Next picture is the evening of July 3 2021
IMG_5779.jpeg

And last is July 1, 2019 - where I was actually baking - I had to hold the umbrella and create my own shade! (We should have just taken a long lunch or a nap until later in the day!)
IMG_1238.jpeg

Upvote 0
im coming from the UK and was thinking of doing a water park during the day then the fireworks in the evening as would have assumed the water park is quieter. then the fireworks in the evening are amazing. but the park will be very busy

Upvote 0

DisneyFanatic12

im coming from the UK and was thinking of doing a water park during the day then the fireworks in the evening as would have assumed the water park is quieter. then the fireworks in the evening are amazing. but the park will be very busy
The waterparks are less busy, but on a holiday like the 4th they could be busy. The issue is that Typhoon Lagoon is the only park open, and the capacity of a waterpark isn’t all that large. Although, you can always do the wave pool, lazy river, and other things with no line. I went for Memorial Day last year and the sidewalks were lined with towels because there were no chairs or spots on the sand left.

But outside of major holidays, it is a far more quiet and very relaxing and enjoyable experience. Have you done the waterparks on the 4th before (not to “scare” you, but rather to find out if the 4th is busy at the waterparks or if the crowds on Memorial Day don’t translate)?

Upvote 0
The waterparks are less busy, but on a holiday like the 4th they could be busy. The issue is that Typhoon Lagoon is the only park open, and the capacity of a waterpark isn’t all that large. Although, you can always do the wave pool, lazy river, and other things with no line. I went for Memorial Day last year and the sidewalks were lined with towels because there were no chairs or spots on the sand left.

But outside of major holidays, it is a far more quiet and very relaxing and enjoyable experience. Have you done the waterparks on the 4th before (not to “scare” you, but rather to find out if the 4th is busy at the waterparks or if the crowds on Memorial Day don’t translate)?
i was last in florida 2000 when you had both parks open and that was in August. i dont want to give up a day as its busy on the 4th i want to maximize the holiday. yes totally forgot that 1 water park was shut so could raise the traffic inside. hmmmm unsure what to do now. as said i was going to do the fireworks in the evening just wanted to fill out the day with something. unless we use it as a rest day for shopping.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Since there’s been no official opening date announced for TBA, and you’re set to go either of those dates, I’d choose the July 4 date since there’s no guarantee TBA will open to the public by June 19. No guarantee it’ll open by July 4 either.
Just a heads up that we know now that TBA opens on June 28th, if that makes a difference to OP.

Upvote 0

Bugs0308

OMG we have been at MK on the 4th and it is sooooo crowded. In fact, they closed entrance for a while because the park was filled to capacity. I def. Would pick Juneteenth. In fact, we are going this year on that date. Would not go on the 4th if you are not wanting to deal with the incredible crowds. I would think Epcot would be more manageable

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom