July 4 New Citizen Swearing In Ceremony at MK

prberk

Original Poster
The Orlando Sentinel reports that there will be a special new-citizen swearing-in ceremony today at the Magic Kingdom, which includes Lee Greenwood performing "God Bless the USA" and Gloria Estafan singing "The Star-Spangled Banner," our national anthem.

The only strange thing is that it says that the ceremony will be at 8 a.m. I wonder if they meant 8 p.m.? The fireworks were scheduled at 9 p.m., so this other ceremony would make sense to be at 8 p.m.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...,0,6210373.story?coll=orl_entertainment_promo

Anyhow, if it happened this morning, did anyone see it? Or, if not, do you have confirmation of it being at 8 p.m.

I would love to see video of this very special ceremony.

Paul

Edit: Looks like the morning was not a typo. Here is more info from the Sentinel... http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2007/06/theme-park-patr.html

In addition to hitting Liberty Square attractions at Magic Kingdom, you can see a unique and first-time event in front of Cinderella’s castle as more than a thousand immigrants will be sworn in as new Americans during a naturalization ceremony on Wednesday morning. They’ll even get to take part in an honorary parade down, you guessed it, Main Street, U.S.A. Talk about dreams coming true. (Even though, as one wise-cracking Theme Park Ranger noted, these new Americans will learn quickly about U.S. capitalism and consumerism as they enjoy the park after their swearing-in event.)

Sen. Mel Martinez will speak at the event, Gloria Estefan will sing the National Anthem and Lee Greenwood will be on hand to do what Lee Greenwood does best: Make your chest swell with pride and your eyes swell with tears. Yep, he’ll perform “God Bless the U.S.A.”

You want something more to make you proud to be an American? How about a flyover of a squadron of U.S. Air Force F-15s. These guys don’t care about any silly Magic Kingdom no-fly rule, and Disney probably doesn’t care that they don’t either. After all, they’re there for us. I just hope they watch out for TinkerBell, though.

Biff215

It did occur this morning as scheduled, apparently through the rain. There's some coverage of the event over at allearsnet.com.

PigletIsMyCat

There were signs at Epcot designating parking for those taking part in the Naturalization ceremony. Over by Wonder, it looked like. The same area they use for the Salsa sales.... (can't wait for that, by the way).

Was this just more convenient parking for the participants, or are they allowed to visit all the parks today? Anyone know?

marypoppins68

They showed parts of the ceremony on Good Morning, America today. Sam Champion was there. I think he's going to be there tomorrow too. Don't know for sure. There were tons of people there. It looked like it was going to rain the whole time.

MSTCrow

Someone asked if the immigrants were allowed to spend time in the parks.. I was at Epcot today and saw a few of them posing for photos with their certificates and flags. What a great day for them!

Many of them were dressed in suits and the like, so I don't think they stayed too long in the rain and humidity.

Straying from topic, as we were walking to the monorail, we saw the jets fly over. Pretty sweet, although strangely out of place in Disney.

As for the Epcot crowds, it was quite brisk but nothing terribly obnoxious. Test Track fast passes were gone by 2pm. Soarin' fast passes were grabbed up an hour or so later. As were left at 8pm, wait times were 120 minutes for Soarin, 90 minutes for Test Track, 50 minutes for Mission: Space. Magic Kingdom was of course at capacity, and we didn't even try to get in. In fact, we left before the fireworks! Gah! Exhausted wife...

Sorry, no pictures.:brick:

tigsmom

Someone asked if the immigrants were allowed to spend time in the parks.. I was at Epcot today and saw a few of them posing for photos with their certificates and flags. What a great day for them!

Many of them were dressed in suits and the like, so I don't think they stayed too long in the rain and humidity.

Straying from topic, as we were walking to the monorail, we saw the jets fly over. Pretty sweet, although strangely out of place in Disney.

As for the Epcot crowds, it was quite brisk but nothing terribly obnoxious. Test Track fast passes were gone by 2pm. Soarin' fast passes were grabbed up an hour or so later. As were left at 8pm, wait times were 120 minutes for Soarin, 90 minutes for Test Track, 50 minutes for Mission: Space. Magic Kingdom was of course at capacity, and we didn't even try to get in. In fact, we left before the fireworks! Gah! Exhausted wife...

Sorry, no pictures.:brick:

Not really straying from topic, the fly over was part of the Naturalization Ceremony. There is another (or was, I haven't looked recently) thread about this, but it was getting a bit hot.

Here is a photo from today's NY Times taken AFTER the ceremony :

citizen01600.jpg

and one DURING the ceremony

05citizen-2-190.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom