Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Bocabear

I’ve only been going to Epcot since 2013 so I never experienced what you describe, for the decade I’ve been going it’s never been more than a concrete plaza with a pin trading store, a meet and greet, and at one time a massive building that had a few video game consoles set up inside it. It also created a massive choke point trying to get to soarin in the morning. Maybe with better memories I could understand the dislike but I’ve never seen it as anything but wasted space and see the change as a 100% improvement.
I am sorry you missed the first incarnation of the park...It was glorious. I agree the central core had devolved into a waste...but the bones were good...The spaces were there to re-program and bring back.
The Fountain Of Nations was in the worst possible location creating that choke point... Moving it to the center of the plaza could have solved that problem without actually changing the fundamental design of the park. Tearing everything down may feel like an immediate solution...But it doesn't add anything or replace the attractions that are lost... Just set dresses the empty space... Well to me anyway...
I guess if my only exposure to EPCOT was the last 7 years I would be happy to see things change...But I know what it was...

MatheusPG

View attachment 601506

I can’t believe people are upset they are replacing a concrete plaza and an empty building with beautiful park space and a natural maze.

This is such a massive upgrade in my opinion. I’d much rather see trees and a fountain maze over concrete and shade sails in a barren wasteland of concrete.

I also think a water and forrest maze leading to the “Ocean” and “Land” pavilions fits perfectly.
"Concrete Plaza"

Attachments

• fixepcot_postcard0000disney.jpg
    fixepcot_postcard0000disney.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 0052-5.jpg
    0052-5.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20211118-174150_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-174150_Firefox.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20211118-174212_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-174212_Firefox.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20211118-174249_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-174249_Firefox.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 93
  • cmcrext.JPG
    cmcrext.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 117

UNCgolf

More like office park vibes. I can post 10 photos of suburban office complexes within a 10 minute drive of me (North Atlanta) that look similar. Those photos definitely look better than what was there in 2015, but they still don’t exude world class team park or the future.

It was absolutely beautiful and what they're planning now doesn't hold a candle to the original design.

There aren't any suburban office parks here (I also live in Atlanta) that really look like original EPCOT. It was a masterpiece. There are some superficial similarities, but you can say that about a ton of things -- there's actually recent sci-fi that has spaces that look very much like that original EPCOT.

With that said, it should be an improvement over the terrible concrete plaza they built in the 90s.

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

It was absolutely beautiful and what they're planning now doesn't hold a candle to the original design.

There aren't any suburban office parks here (I also live in Atlanta) that look anything like original EPCOT. It was a masterpiece. There are some superficial similarities, but you can say that about a ton of things -- there's a lot of recent sci-fi that has spaces that look very much like that original EPCOT.

With that said, it should be an improvement over the terrible concrete plaza they built in the 90s.
I'd submit that the mentioned suburban office parks came after EPCoT Center. I loved the symmetry and the landscaping of the place. Now, it looks like someone lopped an arm off Mr. Lincoln and still allowed him to perform daily. I agree that they could have used the building they tore down to give the festival center a new home (even though I'm not a fan of taking that location outside of WS).
Seems that they could have come up with some really interesting exhibits to place in there if only they didn't rely on corporate money to do so. Just take a look at the innovation going on in various science museums. Maybe hire a few of those designers and see what kind of park you can really have!

Incomudro

View attachment 601506

I can’t believe people are upset they are replacing a concrete plaza and an empty building with beautiful park space and a natural maze.

This is such a massive upgrade in my opinion. I’d much rather see trees and a fountain maze over concrete and shade sails in a barren wasteland of concrete.

I also think a water and forrest maze leading to the “Ocean” and “Land” pavilions fits perfectly.
My thoughts exactly.
I very much prefer this over anything that would or could have been done with the old strcutures.
"Concrete Plaza"
We've got to go back quite a few years to when these photos were relevant.
We should be happy to see a return of greenery.

Animaniac93-98

Why should Disney bother building any attractions? People are excited for empty landscape.

Corporate's idea of a full day at EPCOT in 2022:

1. Get BG for Ratatouille (but do not actually ride because it's down)
2. Look at empty landscape / Journey of Water (take picture with augmented reality app)
3. Ride GotG (with Lighting Lane purchase)
4. Buy snack at WS booth 34B, and beer at WS Booth 78C
5. Get picture taken with Disney+ star Baymax (with PhotoPa$$)
6. Ride Frozen Ever After (with Lightning Lane purchase)
7. See HarmoniUs (from premium viewing area)
7.4. Walk back to car because there's no tram.

BONUS EXPERIENCE: Buying Olaf plush at gift shop

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Corporate's idea of a full day at EPCOT in 2022:

1. Get BG for Ratatouille (but do not actually ride because it's down)
2. Look at empty landscape / Journey of Water (take picture with augmented reality app)
3. Ride GotG (with Lighting Lane purchase)
4. Buy snack at WS booth 34B, and beer at WS Booth 78C
5. Get picture taken with Disney+ star Baymax (with PhotoPa$$)
6. Ride Frozen Ever After (with Lightning Lane purchase)
7. See HarmoniUs (from premium viewing area)
7.4. Walk back to car because there's no tram.

BONUS EXPERIENCE: Buying Olaf plush at gift shop
The only time I’ve ever spent in the West buildings were for Club Cool, which has been relocated, and the meet and greets, which are going to be relocated to Play (I believe).

Rat is a true expansion (didn’t replace anything).

So if you’re complaining about how much there’d be to do in Epcot in 2022, I really want to hear how terrible 2012 Epcot was.

Animaniac93-98

So if you’re complaining about how much there’d be to do in Epcot in 2022, I really want to hear how terrible 2012 Epcot was.

I'm using humor to point out what management believes to be the true EPCOT experience today, including the idea that 7.4 "experiences" is enough to satisfy someone paying full price for admission.

The list is not what I would do on a day's visit to the park, but I do not prioritize upcharge and IP based experiences.

Vegas Disney Fan

The "new" entrance plaza that everyone loves, was also something that was destroyed years ago and was brought back, why couldn't the same be done to this plaza?
I don’t know a reason they couldn’t have but I also can’t see current (aka penny conscious) Disney spending tens of millions destroying useful buildings if they could have been repurposed. (Although Disney does many things that don’t make sense so who knows?)

A return to the past definitely had the potential to be better than what they’re building now… but what they’re building now is infinitely better than what’s been there the last decade.

lazyboy97o

I don’t know a reason they couldn’t have but I also can’t see current (aka penny conscious) Disney spending tens of millions destroying useful buildings if they could have been repurposed. (Although Disney does many things that don’t make sense so who knows?)

A return to the past definitely had the potential to be better than what they’re building now… but what they’re building now is infinitely better than what’s been there the last decade.
Disney intended to spend more than reuse would have cost. The [smaller] Festival Center was not going to be cheap.

J4546

i think they will still build the festival center in time, as well as the SSE refurb. fingers crossed for announcement on saturday

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom