Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Bryan_the_Imagineer

I think trying to make Future World three different themed areas was a big misstep. Both sides are still just crescents lined with big pavilions. If World Discovery was drastically different, aesthetically, than World Nature, it would make more sense, but instead it's like... Nature has rounded planters and Discovery has angled planters?

The whole thing should have just been called World Discovery.
Couldn't agree more, the sides and the pavilions were created with a specific design, theme, and placement in mind, it was a mistake to fix something that wasn't broke. Not only do the neighborhoods make no sense (World Celebration and World Discovery are, aside from a few differences, the same damn thing) but the execution was poorly done as they didn't bother making transitions from and to the neighborhoods. Now even the placement of the pavilions now seem incoherent (Why is Imagination sticking out in World Nature & far out from Celebration) They IMO should've either grouped East & West into Future World or made everything World Celebration since it's the same thing and theme. It's just another sign of Disney ruining Epcot for the worse. What a disappointment.

Bocabear

Digging in on the "Neighborhood" seems more confusing than ever especially when there is no coherent theme or style to each area... If they tie the Land, Moana, and The Seas together visually, create a gateway and a central court, maybe it could feel distinctly like you have stepped into "World Nature", then it could work... now it just feels like an oddly placed Moana thing next to the crescent of three pavilions that don't necessarily fit together. Imagination could be it's own land.. World of Imagination, adding another attraction or two, making the whole current pavilion The Dream Port, bringing back Dreamfinder and making it back into the real jewel that it once was. THen that half of the park would now have two distinct lands or "neighborhoods...
On the other side you could tie Chevy Pavilion with another high tech company and Mission Space into a World Technology neighborhood, and then Wonders Of Life, Guardians of the Galaxy, and a new pavilion into an interplanetary Cosmos or Galaxy type area...but to make these neighborhood actually work they would need some more investment in creating these cohesive areas and then filling them with more attractions...

TrainsOfDisney

I have no idea how anyone could insist that Journey of Water “doesn’t fit” into Epcot’s “World Nature” land. Based on what?
Based on the visuals and design of the rest of “World Nature” land. It’s like plopping down journey of water into Tomorrowland - anyone would see it and say “that should be in Adventureland” even if Disney decided the theme of Tomorrowland was now different.

Chef idea Mickey`=

The newest iteration of Epcot was announced back in 2019, launched in 2021, and still under construction:
The newest iteration to me isn't the neighborhoods more the beginning to the logo change back in a font style to the 80s but with a present day modern touch. The iteration began with bringing epcot back a bit to it's roots which is odd because while the entrance garden area is perfect with Epcot's iconic glass columns back in place.. however Fountain of Nation's gets destroyed. To me is almost like a nod to Universal that we don't need to go the fountain route to be Great.. It's common that the communicore/innovations buildings were old and those they demolished for open space but yet they decided to give love to one side of them but no love at all to the fountain that had meaning and history since Epcot's opening.. The fountain of Nations wasn't in the way of anything you still had room behind it to centralize your little logo planter which no one can see but from the air.🙄

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

No, Disney has established that the new Epcot themes are:
  • World Celebration: "new experiences that connect us to one another and the world around us.”
  • World Nature: "understanding and preserving the beauty, awe and balance of the natural world."
  • World Discovery: “bringing stories about science, technology, and intergalactic adventure to life.”
  • World Showcase: “a celebration of culture, cuisine, architecture, and traditions.”
These theme descriptions are great except for World Celebration. Now what new experiences?? A photograph with Walt, shopping at Creations? Eating at a food court Connection a new experience? New experiences is more than one thing..and it's supposed to be awesome not campus. Nothing feels Celebration nor World other than the backdrop they did of the world and how people from around the world eat and grow food inside of Connections Eatery.

I find Journey of Water would fit as new experiences..

Oh new experiences because all this area is new? no thanks.. Homegoods chair

Last edited:

Bocabear

But Journey of Water is in World Nature.... So I guess the "New Experience" is better food than Electric Umbrella and a higher price...Yay! At least it is better...and I think reopening up the original building, updated appropriately, turned out very nice. Imagine if they had done the same on the other side, Repurposed Innoventions as a gorgeously done Meet and Greet center, then they would still have half the building for whatever will end up in Communicore Hall and then some...
Whoever came up with the name "Crowning Planter" needs to win a prize.... That is EXACTLY what it looks like.

Phicinfan

Based on the visuals and design of the rest of “World Nature” land. It’s like plopping down journey of water into Tomorrowland - anyone would see it and say “that should be in Adventureland” even if Disney decided the theme of Tomorrowland was now different.
🤔 Uh its just next to seas and just short of land. I don't think that is an accurate comparison

RoysCabin

Seeing it for the first time this week (daytime only) and...yeah, it was cute, I imagine it's a godsend if you're there with kids during the summer, and it did a bit to discuss the water cycle while not feeling like it was completely shoving the IP in your face the whole time, so all in all not too shabby. I imagine it looks pretty great all lit up at night.

But yeah, location-wise and how the whole "neighborhoods" thing is supposed to work? Eehhh...having the whole garden setup in the middle is better than the concrete wasteland that had been allowed to develop after the mid-90s, but the loss of the Fountain of Nations is a bit painful, and yeah, just saying "this area is a 'neighborhood' now" without really doing anything to create a consistent aesthetic feels more like shoehorning an idea in rather than really taking a bottom-up approach to a big project like this.

Epcot82Guy

Having been in the park tonight, revising this to be World Celebration (or Discovery) and World Showcase would be far better. I think they can group the pavilions a bit better, but having it be one big area just solves many current problems IMHO.

And I still think retheming the 5 rings to tie the pavilions together could help as well.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I’m talking about how it looks compared to the rest of the area. It looks like it’s from Polynesian hotel, Adventureland, or Avatar land.
Then what should be there for it to fit? If you know? All I can think of is symmetry and the gardens like World Celebration is right now being there. I think the main issue with JOW to people who see in the day as a backdrop is by how forest it looks.. the palm trees aspect will always fit Epcot.

Last edited:

Bocabear

The existing pavilions should be dressed (new landscape work) in a way that visually ties Land, Seas, and Journey Of Moana together... Visual cohesion is missing. Perhaps the whole esplanade between the three attractions could become a courtyard of interactive play structures...tying the themes together... But visual cohesion between the three things is the most important... THEN it would feel like a neighborhood...

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
homer simpson GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom