Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

ohioguy

wait, they added one new thrill ride to EPCOT... how are thrill rides now dominating the vision for the park?
we are getting a selfie pavilion if that actually happens, a newly built building with meet and greets and a stage, a lot of trees, and a water based walk through attraction/splash pad or whatever it is... that doesn't sound like thrill rides are dominating the new vision to me...it seems like a huge nothing-burger.
I would say the addition of "thrills" started with Frozen (which replaced a more educational experience), if not Test Track. It has continued with Ratatouille and GOTG Cosmic Rewind. This is not the EPCOT of yesteryear.

I wish they would bring Switzerland to World Showcase and the Matterhorn to Florida...

jaxonp

I would say the addition of "thrills" started with Frozen (which replaced a more educational experience), if not Test Track. It has continued with Ratatouille and GOTG Cosmic Rewind. This is not the EPCOT of yesteryear.

I wish they would bring Switzerland to World Showcase and the Matterhorn to Florida...

Rat and Frozen are not even remotely close to be considered a thrill ride. The only true thrill attractions in the park are test track… been around a long long time, missions space - out of date now and finally Guardians.

I’d argue drinking around the world is more of a thrill ride for some than anything else at Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Still confused how this is the last major thing to open out of all the expansions…

They really didn’t have a concrete plan going into this did they?
They did, the three layer toadstool festival pavilion originally. But the pandemic cut that out. Then they dithered over what to do in its place.
"Festival area."​
"Beer garden."​
Keep Communicore NW or knock it down?​
Switch the new show fountain to a light show to sync with SSE's LEDs.​
Refresh SSE's theme or not?​

The original toadstool plan would have be at least 3 years of walled off construction also.

jaxonp

They did, the three layer toadstool festival pavilion originally. But the pandemic cut that out. Then they dithered over what to do in its place.
"Festival area."​
"Beer garden."​
Keep Communicore NW or knock it down?​
Switch the new show fountain to a light show to sync with SSE's LEDs.​
Refresh SSE's theme or not?​

The original toadstool plan would have be at least 3 years of walled off construction also.

This timeline is insanity and everyone knows it. Disney needs to step up. Universal is and nobody really cares… Disney isn’t and everyone cares. Such a strange dichotomy.

ohioguy

Rat and Frozen are not even remotely close to be considered a thrill ride. The only true thrill attractions in the park are test track… been around a long long time, missions space - out of date now and finally Guardians.

I’d argue drinking around the world is more of a thrill ride for some than anything else at Epcot
I must disagree. Perhaps my terminology is being stretched. Ultimately, EPCOT's fundamentals changed as soon as IP began invading the premises, especially World Showcase. I would argue that in order for this park to survive, Disney had to dumb it down -- visitors want spectacle.

I think the Moana area will be beautiful and a much-needed respite from EPCOT's conversion.

SilentWindODoom

I'm confused by this debate on Epcot being thrill-isized. It is not a matter of Guardians flipping a switch. I had thought everyone had agreed on this happening at the turn of the Millennium with World of Motion and Horizons getting torn out and Test Track and Mission: Space taking their place. It's starker now with Energy gone and the entire West Side of the front of the park being thrill rides with little link to education in sight. But it's not a new phenomenon. Perhaps two different sides are using different language, but is anyone saying this change hasn't happened?

KeithVH

Pardon my naivete, Soarin' is NOT a thrill ride? Just want to be sure I'm understanding. Especially for those with acrophobia?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Pardon my naivete, Soarin' is NOT a thrill ride? Just want to be sure I'm understanding. Especially for those with acrophobia?

No... NOT a thrill ride. If you are afraid of heights, it might be extra thrilling to you (in the same way a bucket ride, ski lift, observation tower, or ferris wheel may be), but just like the other rides mentioned above, not a thrill ride...

KeithVH

No... NOT a thrill ride. If you are afraid of heights, it might be extra thrilling to you (in the same way a bucket ride, ski lift, observation tower, or ferris wheel may be), but just like the other rides mentioned above, not a thrill ride...
OK, fine, whatever. Then I'd really have to say M:S isn't one either . . .

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
OK, fine, whatever. Then I'd really have to say M:S isn't one either . . .
I would agree that M:S Green is NOT a thrill ride, but the forces Orange puts on you arguably push the Orange side into the thrill ride category in my opinion. To me, the "thrill" level of a ride is directly related to the forces (physical or emotional [specifically scary]) a ride places you under. Any rides that subject you to g-forces significantly greater or less than 1 in any direction could be considered a thrill ride. FWIW, I probably wouldn't consider Flight of Passage a thrill ride either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom