Journey Into The Imagination With Figment has windows problem

RobFL

Account Suspended
Originally posted by MrPromey

Well, a 400mhz should be reasonably comparable to a 1ghz PC. As for the OS version, while it is true that OS 10 finally offers true multitasking support (even with the way overpriced 10.2 upgrade) it runs slower – if more reliable - than OS 9 on the same systems. I get this from experience as well as from the mouth of our head of IT who is a “Mac Genus”. (for those who don’t know, that’s an actual title that Apple gives to its own trained technicians)

I can see it now.. "What is your job title...?"

Mac Daddy

Big Mac

Mac Gruff!

-Rob

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by MrPromey

Well, a 400mhz should be reasonably comparable to a 1ghz PC. As for the OS version, while it is true that OS 10 finally offers true multitasking support (even with the way overpriced 10.2 upgrade) it runs slower – if more reliable - than OS 9 on the same systems. I get this from experience as well as from the mouth of our head of IT who is a “Mac Genus”. (for those who don’t know, that’s an actual title that Apple gives to its own trained technicians)

I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and when I say that Macs are better for graphics and digital imagery, then that says something about the power behind a macintosh. If you wanted the same performance out of Windows-based x86 machine, you have to upgrade it to the hilt.

Does anyone know what kind of computers they're using? Dell? Gateway? HP?

MrPromey

Re: Re: Re: To Mac or no

Originally posted by Jonº0º

I have worked in the commercial offset industry for many years, for large corporations in the North East and also for Print Shops of all sizes and I can say with out a doubt, that all PC fliles to film or DTP are a problem (not so for PDF's but that workflow has other problems).
When I find a client that inststs on working in PC, I charge them 10% or 20% more for the prepress work and have my people re-do the file in Mac Quark. This has become an industry standard is not usually communicated to the customer. This is why printers want to make the changes to reprints, we dont want to re-re-do the file again.

Look at it this way
Mac= unique, first, different, maybe like Disney
PC= safe, popular, normal, maybe like Six Flags
Your argument is understandable if you have been in the industry for any great length of time and I’m not saying that PC’s are taking over at the same speed that IE did with Netscape Navigator but you sort of have to look at what’s going on. Adobe claims that the PC market is where most of their non-upgrade sales are generated from these days. That means they are making more money off PCs than they are off of Macs. Adobe has released Indesign 2.0 which makes QuarkXpress 5 look like a sorry joke and they have made no attempt at hiding the fact that they want Indesign to be a “Quark Killer”. Interestingly enough, Adobe is also the inventor of the PDF format which makes the whole wonderful Mac and PC conversion a LOT easier. While Apple has been busy making MP3 players, Microsoft has introduced Post Script font support directly into its consumer OS and they have also stepped up the PC system’s ability to handle multiple processors for higher end use that was once dominated by the Mac…

As it stands now, I don’t know of many in the DTP world that are eager to move over to OS 10 and Apple has already indicated that they aren’t going to be producing anything more for anything before OS 10. You and I both know that OS 10 is more like an OS 1 since its code is now Unix based and really has almost nothing to do with anything that came before it in terms of how it actually runs. That’s a pretty big leap that it will take companies a long time to make, especially when they see what Apple is doing with their upgrades and upgrade pricing.

I would be interested in knowing what problems you experience with a PDF workflow. It’s how I submit my freelance stuff and my daytime employer has been using it exclusively in house for years. I am not aware of us having any problems and we handle around 1,000 unique pieces a day.

Having done some preflight work, I can honestly say that almost half of our disk supplied art now comes in some sort of PC format and we have not charged additional for any of it since we started accepting PC files. While it’s true we aren’t just a print house and I don’t deal directly with output, if there were a problem with something that passed through me, it would come back to me to be to be fixed.

Of course, since PC users outnumber Mac users around a hundred to one, the chances of running into a PC user (that doesn’t know what they are doing) who thinks they are a designer are a lot more likely than with a Mac user, especially since a lot of Mac users ARE designers. This problem alone can account for a lot of the trouble coming from PC files. For instance, I don’t think pictures being sent in RGB mode from clients has anything to do with the fact that they were produced on a PC anymore than the files that are sent in at 72dpi do, even though this problem seems a LOT more common from our PC clients. (You with me on that?) I understand that companies aren’t crazy about totally replacing systems that have worked for years. Such changes also would require the re-training of staff. My employer would probably loose half it’s graphics department if we switched to PC simply because many of the people I work with have been doing this since before the use of computers, were trained by my company when Macs were introduced in the 80’s and as a result, don’t even know how to use a PC. On the other hand, PCs are cheaper to buy and to upgrade, cheaper to staff IT departments for, and easier to integrate into a PC environment such as what customer service and management is probably using in most companies. Costs can also be cut by consolidating IT departments that (at least where I work) are separated into support for graphics and support for everyone else. Add to that, that the fastest dual processor PC will outperform the fastest dual processor Mac by a notable margin (with even faster PCs due out any day now with no word of anything new performance-wise from Apple) and quite frankly, you have to admit that Apple's attention hasn’t been very well focused in its best customers these days, has it? Don’t get me wrong, the graphite colored translucent case of the system I use is nice to look at, I’m just a lot more interested in what’s inside.

As for Mac being first, try again. They did not invent the mouse or the concept behind the GUI that it powers, they only improved upon a concept that was abandoned by another company.

And as for the Disney comparison, I’d like to think that Disney is safe and since their parks have a lock on the top 5 most attended theme parks in the US I would also consider them to be popular.

I think a better way of looking at it is VHS and Betamax… At one time, Betamax was clearly considered better but VHS won out and became the consumer standard. The only difference is that the Mac still exists, I just think it has lost most of its ground in being better the way most loyal customers continue to think it is…

Don’t get me wrong, I think Apple is still an important company and saying it is Apple against the PC world is like saying it is Toyota against the rest of the auto industry. Unfortunately it just seems that Apple and a lot of their customers seem to see things that way. I think that Apple does more harm for themselves and their customers than good by continuing to push themselves as the PC alternative. I suppose that offering emulated support for PC software directly through the OS would seem like defeat to a lot of people but to me, it would look more like a selling point to the every day consumer who walks the software isles of their local Best Buy.

MrPromey

Originally posted by ntn_haqqer

I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and when I say that Macs are better for graphics and digital imagery, then that says something about the power behind a macintosh. If you wanted the same performance out of Windows-based x86 machine, you have to upgrade it to the hilt.

Does anyone know what kind of computers they're using? Dell? Gateway? HP?

I'm not sure if I understand what you're talking about. Did you think I meant Win 9x when I said OS 9? The only comparison that I made with a PC was when someone suggested that the Mac was at a disadvantage for having a slower processor and I was saying that the slower Mac processor should be comparable PC processor with over twice the clock speed.

Mostly I was just comparing the newer Mac OS with it’s older predecessor.

NowInc

I am soooooooooo staying out of this...

....some of you know my anti-mac stand point and know I will defend it to death...so yeah ;)

...oh..and this is coming from a Pro Audio/Graphics person.....(I say pro because thats what i do for a living..not just because I think its sounds nifty)

Geordi

As a part-time DJ and sound designer for stage shows, I have to weigh in on this. While I'm sure Macs are great for audio and graphics, the sheer bulk of the supply of programs for mixing, editing, cutting and recording on a PC is staggering. Also the quality of the hardware. Is there a Turtle Beach product for Mac? (really asking) What about Creative's SB LIVE! product line? The SB LIVE! MP3 or Pro editions are some of the best cards I have seen ever. The Turtle Beach stuff used to be the king, but I think Creative is the king now.

As for the quality of the recording, yea I know that recording is all basically the same, but it's the inputs on the card that make the difference, and the Digital-to-analog converter quality that really makes or breaks a card. Bad converter? Bad sound. It's that simple.

--Jim <-- Is a PC Consultant and Computer god.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom