Journey into Imagination, I want answers

RonAnnArbor

No, they can't. There is no grandfathering in getting around ADA laws. Disney or no Disney. They COULD have, if they wanted, torn out a portion of the wall there and install a second elevator that was large enough, but that was certainly not worth it. As it stands now, they only use the upper floor for special events/educational training events not open to the public.

FettFan

Possibly, but part of their concerns is that the Image Works, which arguably was more popular than the attraction that fed into it, needed to be moved to the ground floor for better stroller/handicap access.

No one wanted to torpedo the attraction on purpose.
It was just a bad situation of WDI having to update an attraction due to a contract clause and working within a tight, late-'90s budget.
Did they do a lousy job? Sure, but they were also dealt a lousy hand.

I think the pavilion would not have gotten as much hate if they would have kept the second story Imageworks open....

FettFan

To repeat -- most of the info is here:
http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=95

But the ADA laws also had a lot to do with it -- you can no longer end an attraction and require people to walk up stairs...that and the antiquated ride system before it was even originally opened...and Kodak stopped supporting this attraction financially a decade ago, but their advertising remained per contract until the contract period ended...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there not a glass elevator next to the stairway?

Goofyernmost

Wouldn't that satisfy the ADA? Why would ADA require anything more than a responsible accommodation?
They wouldn't if nothing changed, however, the building was being redone and that would have brought ADA in, but, it might not be an ADA issue, it might be a safety issue in case of needed evacuation. WDW was looking for a reason to close it down I'll bet, due to high cost of labor to operate that section. Safety was a good one that no one would argue with. However, Soarin has the same issue. So what do I know?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Having everything on one floor is much better. With the absence of the caroucel,the old on and off ramps and the new system that that ride runs off of they could easily make a great show with Figment, DreamfinderI and some origional scenery. And that new Image Works is full of allot of empty space, they can easily add a whole not more. I'm thinking positively with that pavilion. I have a feeling the next time that pavilion gets an overhaul they will have they're stuff together.

Ernierich

My family love the ride, me less so. I can't help think that there's something not right/missing from the attraction and my DD and DW can't convince me otherwise (none of us ever rode the original version)

Just imagine if Disney plussed the attraction to the point where people really wanted to ride it multiple time, it could actually help lines elsewhere. What a bonus that could be in a park with so few rides.

Goofyernmost

My family love the ride, me less so. I can't help think that there's something not right/missing from the attraction and my DD and DW can't convince me otherwise (none of us ever rode the original version)

Just imagine if Disney plussed the attraction to the point where people really wanted to ride it multiple time, it could actually help lines elsewhere. What a bonus that could be in a park with so few rides.
Here's the problem...at the time that Imagination (along with Horizons & World of Motion) was changed over, there were no lines. The attraction had already died.

I was a guilty as anybody. Epcot consisted of (4) dark omnimover rides. Spaceship Earth, Imagination, Horizons and WoM. Basically they were all the same. Different story lines yes, but, slow moving rides that, let's face it got boring. It is the classic example of not missing something until it's gone. The current imagination ride is nothing more then a caricature of the original and then only because they left Figment in it. They even changed Figments personality from a "lovable little fellow" to a snot. Horizons also bored me and near it's end it was just another walk on for something to do. The story was old and if you had seen it enough, the dialog was memorized. The only redeeming value it had at the time was the orange grove smell. Loved that! I wasn't concerned when they ended both of them, at the time. I did get upset over the loss of WoM. I really liked that ride, it was funny and original, but it also had run it's course. Thankfully they kept Spaceship Earth, but that was probably because they couldn't think of anything to replace it with.

Today I like Mission Space and I tolerate Test Track and I still like SSE even with the changes but Imagination, not just the ride, but the whole place, needs a lot of work.

Bairstow

One thing to keep in mind when criticizing the older EPCOT omnimover rides is that all of these things had absolutely monstrous hourly capacities, much higher than what's there now and higher than the average rides at the Magic Kingdom. If you didn't see a line, it did not necessarily mean that hundreds of people were not currently on the attraction, enjoying it.

Goofyernmost

One thing to keep in mind when criticizing the older EPCOT omnimover rides is that all of these things had absolutely monstrous hourly capacities, much higher than what's there now and higher than the average rides at the Magic Kingdom. If you didn't see a line, it did not necessarily mean that hundreds of people were not currently on the attraction, enjoying it.
Absolutely, but having been there when there were lines it isn't difficult to see that they were not as popular as they once had been. I'm sure Disney was aware of that as well. They stopped having the return-ability that they needed to survive. Like so many other things eventually they would have revived and done better, but they weren't given the chance. Couple that with demands from the sponsors (those paying the bills: (GE dropped Horizons) (GM WoM) (Kodak Imagination)) to change things and you get new, but less detailed attractions.

SJN1279

I love the original and latest version of Imagination. My first visit was in 1984 and I have ridden the attraction ever year since then. In that time, I have never experienced more than a 5 minute line ever for the attraction.

SJN1279

I rode attraction again this past weekend(I originally rode in December), and really enjoyed it. The queue is much improved and I was excited to see that they dumped that inane pre-show. The ride itself was great, and really in theme with the classic Epcot Future World. I liked the original Test Track and felt this was a nice update to the attraction. I can't wait to ride again soon.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I rode attraction again this past weekend(I originally rode in December), and really enjoyed it. The queue is much improved and I was excited to see that they dumped that inane pre-show. The ride itself was great, and really in theme with the classic Epcot Future World. I liked the original Test Track and felt this was a nice update to the attraction. I can't wait to ride again soon.

Wow, well...you are so unique that Disney even shuts the ride (Imagination) down early, before the rest of Futureworld by a few hours, even during near peak season, because so many people are clamoring to get on it.

I'm sorry, but they took a ride / pavilion that needed some TLC and crammed their Eisner so far up it that you can barely recognize what it was anymore.

Goofyernmost

Wow, well...you are so unique that Disney even shuts the ride (Imagination) down early, before the rest of Futureworld by a few hours, even during near peak season, because so many people are clamoring to get on it.

I'm sorry, but they took a ride / pavilion that needed some TLC and crammed their Eisner so far up it that you can barely recognize what it was anymore.
I'm lost...what are the two of you talking about, Imagination or Test Track. Also translate what "cramming their Eisner" means. I don't have a clue. Is there a site that breaks down the code?:)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm lost...what are the two of you talking about, Imagination or Test Track. Also translate what "cramming their Eisner" means. I don't have a clue. Is there a site that breaks down the code?:)

I was referring to Imagination. And I think you know exactly what I was referring to regarding cramming Eisner up it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom