Journey into Imagination, I want answers

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
So when they decided to refurbish a bustling attraction like Journey into Imagination why did they do a scale down. Didnt Kodak want to advertise. The place is an empty money pit. It didnt even need a serious overhaul. So what I would like to know is what was the master plan. With they budget they must have had why did they even lay hands on that pavilion for a downscale when they could have just done standard repairs with the money?

MY_NAME_STITCH

Kodak stock went from 100 dollars a share to 14 cents per share over the last 13 - 15 years. I'm surprised they still sponsor a pavilion. I'm surprised Disney let's them.

yeti

Are you talking about 1998?

Seems to me like it was just a horrible misfire. They miscalculated guest demand by making it cool, edgy, pseudo-scientific. Even Eisner hated it in it's original reincarnation. There's probably a Martin'svid about this out there.

Bairstow

It was the original attraction, grand as it was, that was a money pit.
One of the main goals of the revision was to reduce operational and maintenance costs and in that regard it has been quite successful.

The reason they did the overhaul in the first place is not because it "needed it" but because such a revision was contractually obligated in Disney's original sponsorship contract with Kodak.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The short of it is that the turntable was somewhat of a technological nightmare and it caused numerous e-stops. The decision was made to remove it during the Kodak mandated overhaul.

Many of the answers you seek are in this video.

http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=95

@Master Yoda

Shouldn't you have said that as:

"This video, you should watch, for the answers you seek. Yes? Mmm Mmmm..."

DizFiz

I want answers also it really is unexceptable with what the Imagination pavillion has been turned into. I want to hit on the down sizing of the attraction which I find to infuriate me the most.... I understand the issue with the turnable thing but what I don't get why cut the attraction in half I would think they could have modified the layout but still kept the length of it... I will just end it there no need to rant on about a Disney embarrassment any longer.... Disney is getting what they wanted to humiliate the imagination pavillion for the whole world to see... I really don't ever seeing a bright future for the pavillion.

Bairstow

I want answers also it really is unexceptable with what the Imagination pavillion has been turned into. I want to hit on the down sizing of the attraction which I find to infuriate me the most.... I understand the issue with the turnable thing but what I don't get why cut the attraction in half I would think they could have modified the layout but still kept the length of it...

Possibly, but part of their concerns is that the Image Works, which arguably was more popular than the attraction that fed into it, needed to be moved to the ground floor for better stroller/handicap access.

Disney is getting what they wanted to humiliate the imagination pavillion for the whole world to see... I really don't ever seeing a bright future for the pavillion.

No one wanted to torpedo the attraction on purpose.
It was just a bad situation of WDI having to update an attraction due to a contract clause and working within a tight, late-'90s budget.
Did they do a lousy job? Sure, but they were also dealt a lousy hand.

litaljohn

plus let's keep in theme here, if you don't like the imagination pavilion as is, IMAGINE its something better!

seriously though you would think Disney was trying to make a film where hitler was a poor misunderstood hero the way some people make the ride sound. the ride isn't THAT bad, especially compared to a great deal of other attractions.

then again the one positive aspect is the more hate the less wait, I think I rode around 7 times last trip thanks to the 40 second max wait time.

plus let's keep in theme here, if you don't like the imagination pavilion as is, IMAGINE its something better!

seriously though you would think Disney was trying to make a film where hitler was a poor misunderstood hero the way some people make the ride sound. the ride isn't THAT bad, especially compared to a great deal of other attractions.

then again the one positive aspect is the more hate the less wait, I think I rode around 7 times last trip thanks to the 40 second max wait time.

While not nearly as good as the original, my 6 year old absolutely loves the ride. With no wait time were able to ride again and again so she can get her figment fix

RonAnnArbor

To repeat -- most of the info is here:
http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=95

But the ADA laws also had a lot to do with it -- you can no longer end an attraction and require people to walk up stairs...that and the antiquated ride system before it was even originally opened...and Kodak stopped supporting this attraction financially a decade ago, but their advertising remained per contract until the contract period ended...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom