News Josh D'Amaro posts the first in an ongoing series of video messages to LinkedIn

UNCgolf

My understanding is that the super bowl ad is recorded both for Disney World and Disneyland.

As for international... would be interesting to hear from international members what types of ads they see. I wouldn’t expect any of the USA parks to be heavily advertised in other parts of the world. I would expect Disneyland Paris, Tokyo, etc. to be the main parks advertisided.

Then Walt Disney World would also be a regional park?

WDW is advertised pretty heavily in Canada -- I've always been under the impression that it's advertised pretty heavily in the UK, too, but maybe not. As for the Super Bowl ad, I was specifically referring to the one announcing Toy Story Land was open. Since that doesn't exist at Disneyland, it was clearly a Walt Disney World ad.

Regardless, the main point is about attendance. I don't think anyone would argue Disneyland gets anywhere near as many international visitors as WDW. I bet it's a tiny fraction of what WDW gets.

I think the sheer number of hotels/resorts at WDW vs. Disneyland gives you a pretty good idea as to which one is really a specific destination as opposed to something that has a lot of local attendance and people who are visiting LA for multiple things beyond just Disneyland -- which makes sense, because there are a ton of other interesting things to see/do in LA (I've been to LA a few times and still haven't made it to Disneyland, although I certainly want to visit eventually). Orlando is basically somewhere to visit for theme parks only.

TrainsOfDisney

which makes sense, because there are a ton of other interesting things to see/do in LA (I've been to LA a few times and still haven't made it to Disneyland, although I certainly want to visit eventually). Orlando is basically somewhere to visit for theme parks only.
Disneyland to LA (Hollywood blvd. specifically) is about an hour. Same travel time as Disney World to Cocoa Beach.

Many people visit Florida for reasons other than theme parks.

UNCgolf

Disneyland to LA (Hollywood blvd. specifically) is about an hour. Same travel time as Disney World to Cocoa Beach.

Many people visit Florida for reasons other than theme parks.

Florida, yes. Orlando, not really. The vast majority of people aren't going to the beach and then taking a quick trip to Disney World, because you can't do Disney World in one or two days -- I bet well over 50% of WDW visitors are there solely to go to WDW (with some also doing Universal). It's not even remotely comparable to the number of people going to the LA area for other reasons.

Plus, most people visiting Florida specifically for the beach are going to the Gulf Coast or to south Florida.

Do you honestly think Disneyland doesn't get more local/regional visitors and less international visitors than Disney World? It's not like that's an attack on Disneyland or a suggestion that Disney World is better; it's just the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Florida, yes. Orlando, not really. The vast majority of people aren't going to the beach and then taking a quick trip to Disney World, because you can't do Disney World in one or two days -- I bet well over 50% of WDW visitors are there solely to go to WDW (with some also doing Universal). It's not even remotely comparable to the number of people going to the LA area for other reasons.

Plus, most people visiting Florida specifically for the beach are going to the Gulf Coast or to south Florida.

Do you honestly think Disneyland doesn't get more local/regional visitors and less international visitors than Disney World? It's not like that's an attack on Disneyland or a suggestion that Disney World is better; it's just the reality of the situation.
Visiting Daytona, Vero is a letdown. Going to New Smyrna Beach the shark capital of the world is risking being shark bait. That's true, sun worshippers fly to Tampa,Clearwater , Naples , Ft Lauderdale , Miami

UNCgolf

I don’t think the numbers are as drastically different as some imply.

Calling Disneyland a “local / regional” park is not an accurate description of the world’s 2nd most visited theme park (in normal non-covid Times.)

I agree that calling it a local/regional park makes it sound less than it is -- it's just more local/regional than WDW is. But that's likely true of every other theme park on the planet.

TP2000

I'm not sure that's true. I see advertisements for Disney World pretty regularly but I have never once seen one for Disneyland, and when they spent advertising money on something like a Super Bowl ad it was for Disney World.

Of course there are plenty of non-local visitors at Disneyland, but I bet the percentage of local/regional attendance for Disneyland is much much higher than it is for Disney World.

It depends on what part of the country you're in. In Seattle, they get nothing but Disneyland commercials. In Boston, they get nothing but Disney World commercials.

TP2000

Regardless, the main point is about attendance. I don't think anyone would argue Disneyland gets anywhere near as many international visitors as WDW. I bet it's a tiny fraction of what WDW gets.

When you do finally visit Disneyland, you're going to hear Aussie and New Zealand accents, and see the roving Taiwanese (sorry Beijing Communists, it exists) tour groups following the flag, and the perky and giggly Tokyo office ladies on vacation. The Canadians are easy to spot because of their very white legs, without waiting for them to pronounce "house" or "about". Plus the usual gaggle of Brits and Frenchmen and Germans, the usual Euro demographics.

I think the sheer number of hotels/resorts at WDW vs. Disneyland gives you a pretty good idea as to which one is really a specific destination as opposed to something that has a lot of local attendance and people who are visiting LA for multiple things beyond just Disneyland --

I'm afraid you are discounting the tens of thousands of non-Disney hotel rooms in the Anaheim Resort District.

Yes, WDW has the most massive hotel complex on the planet, because they own all the land. In Anaheim, Disney owns only enough land for three hotels with 3,000 rooms total (with maybe a fourth in the future). But within the compact Anaheim Resort District (and adjacent Harbor Resort strip in Garden Grove) there is another 25,000 hotel rooms, owned by the Hiltons, Marriotts, etc. of the world. About half of those hotels are within a 15 minute walk of Disneyland, the other half are a 10 to 15 minute shuttle ride away.

You don't build a resort complex with 25,000+ hotel rooms for a regional Six Flags or Cedar Fair park.

Trauma

As with any nametag in a suit - I’ll believe him when the rubber meets the road. And that’s when there’s any type of moderate economic downturn (which is political now…stay tuned closely on that)…how much do they value their employees then?

its the only situation when the managements character is shown.

watching
Every economic downturn is political; if it happens under your “teams” watch you get blamed then you deflect the blame towards the other party.

That’s how it’s always worked and always will.

They will treat there cast like always durning a downturn - Expendable.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Every economic downturn is political; if it happens under your “teams” watch you get blamed then you deflect the blame towards the other party.

That’s how it’s always worked and always will.

The will treat there cast like always durning a downturn - Expendable.
…I agree

and that’s why “Josh” is gonna choke on it (if it happens) and lots of Orlandites are going to have their faith not rewarded.

UNCgolf

When you do finally visit Disneyland, you're going to hear Aussie and New Zealand accents, and see the roving Taiwanese (sorry Beijing Communists, it exists) tour groups following the flag, and the perky and giggly Tokyo office ladies on vacation. The Canadians are easy to spot because of their very white legs, without waiting for them to pronounce "house" or "about". Plus the usual gaggle of Brits and Frenchmen and Germans, the usual Euro demographics.

I'm not sure how you got that out of my posts. I never remotely suggested that Disneyland doesn't get international visitors. All I ever said is that more of Disneyland's attendance is local/regional than WDW's. Even Canadians are far more likely to visit WDW outside of the west coast (I assume; I know a ton of people from Toronto, Montreal, etc. but very few from Vancouver).

If Disneyland didn't exist, it would not have a massive effect on visitors to LA (I'm sure it would have some effect). If Disney World didn't exist, Orlando would be a random midsize city that no one cared about.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I never said they aren't there, but there are certainly less than there are at WDW, which is the only point I was making. I know Toronto is skewed heavily towards WDW.

Also, as for your other point -- I never claimed it was remotely comparable to a regional Six Flags. I don't know where you're getting that from. Once again... it's more local/regional than WDW. That's the only thing I ever said, and I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.
The front desk staff at Quality Inn where I stayed at Fredericksburg VA, 1 hour south of DC, say it is the halfway driving point for many Ontario families . After a night stay , it is a 12 1/2 hour straight drive to WDW. One can tell some of the Canadian drivers, they drive no more than 70mph on the fast lane on -I-95 with the speed limit 70mph, safety first.

UNCgolf

The front desk staff at Quality Inn where I stayed at Fredericksburg VA, 1 hour south of DC, say it is the halfway driving point for many Ontario families . After a night stay , it is a 12 1/2 hour straight drive to WDW. One can tell some of the Canadian drivers, they drive no more than 70mph on the fast lane on -I-95 with the speed limit 70mph, safety first.

It's a big destination for the whole Greater Toronto Area.

Most of the Torontonians I know definitely drive faster than that, though.

Sir_Cliff

Sure, in the US -- I think outside the US, it's almost exclusively Disney World advertisements (I wouldn't be surprised to see Disneyland ads somewhere like Vancouver). Also, the Super Bowl ad I was talking about was WDW specific.

It seems like they really only spend marketing dollars for Disneyland in that one region of the United States, and as I said, Disneyland gets much higher local/regional attendance than Disney World.
In Australia, you would only ever see Disneyland advertisements. It's not like there were loads of them, but occasional billboard and newspaper campaigns or (at least back in the day) television campaigns with certain travel agencies. I don't live there anymore, but I notice the obviously sponsored content travel stories about Disney parks in Australian newspapers are almost all Disneyland.

TP2000

I'm not sure how you got that out of my posts.

I think it was your use of "local/regional" to describe the place, but I see where you're coming from now.

All this said, if the Rams win the Super Bowl next weekend they will be featured in Disneyland commercials. If the Bengals win the Super Bowl, they will be featured in Disney World commercials. Video editing happens within mere moments now.

JoeCamel

Only if you surf. And even then, Statistics lie. Shark population does not equal attack.
About 25 bites a year in all of Florida with most being in the NSB area but surfing is only one place they can get you. Often people sitting/swimming close to shore will disturb a feeding nurse shark which runs along the shorelines. In any case about 1 in 5 million to get bit with the odds much higher in Florida.
What were the odds of contracting Covid? 5 - 1 ?
Hospitalized by it? about 590 - 1 ?
Why are we talking about sharks?

Lilofan

About 25 bites a year in all of Florida with most being in the NSB area but surfing is only one place they can get you. Often people sitting/swimming close to shore will disturb a feeding nurse shark which runs along the shorelines. In any case about 1 in 5 million to get bit with the odds much higher in Florida.
What were the odds of contracting Covid? 5 - 1 ?
Hospitalized by it? about 590 - 1 ?
Why are we talking about sharks?
You're right. New Smyrna has the infamous fame of shark bites but covid/ hospitals, not even close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom