John Fiedler, voice of Piglet, dies at 80

General Grizz

Original Poster
John Fiedler, voice of Piglet, dies at 80
June 27, 2005, 4:32 AM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _John Fiedler, a stage actor who won fame as the voice of Piglet in Walt Disney's Winnie-the-Pooh films, died Saturday, The New York Times reported in Monday editions. He was 80.

Fiedler served in the Navy during World War II before beginning a stage career in New York. He performed in supporting roles alongside Sidney Poitier on Broadway, John Wayne in Hollywood and Bob Newhart on television.

But he was best known for the squeaky voice of the ever-worrying Piglet that he landed when someone noticed his naturally high-pitched voice.

"Walt Disney heard it on a program and said, 'That's Piglet,"' his brother James Fiedler told The Times.

In addition to his brother, Fiedler is survived by a sister, Mary Dean, The Times reported. The newspaper did not report the cause or location of his death.

Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

brkgnews

Such a sad weekend in the hundred-acre wood.

We'll miss him -- but thankfully we have so much to remember him by.

BigNorm

This is getting ridiculous...such a sad loss. Tigger and Piglet within two days. It's very quiet today in the Hundred Acre Woods.

tigsmom

I'm broken hearted. I loved John Fielder...such a great talent. Heaven just got a little richer - Tigger & Piglet together. :cry:

MichelleBelle

It kind of creeps me out that the passings happened so close together...

Sad day... at least they have some of the most loved characters of all time to be remembered by...

FigmentJedi

Did Kuzco have him thrown out the window again?
But seriously, it is not a good time for Pooh fans and its a bad sign that two voice actors died within two days off each other.

disneyplanet

yes I updated the other post of Paul winchell

<hr size="1" style="color: rgb(19, 83, 179);">
yes you are right. how bizarre is that.. both gone together <hr size="1" style="color: rgb(19, 83, 179);"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> John Fiedler voice of piglet also dyes

John Fiedler
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0275835/<o =""></o>
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/27/obit.fiedler.ap/index.html

Paul winchell
http://paulwinchell.com/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Mov...l.ap/index.html

one I hope one is a mistake, that some one mis-quaoted. Or errored is some way

How sad ....
<hr size="1" style="color: rgb(19, 83, 179);">
Heaven must have wanted a straight man to off set the comedian

aloha2308

>Sigh<

:cry: I will definitely miss both of these wonderful and talented men. I grew up loving all of the Winnie the Pooh charachters, and it was a dream come true to be Winnie the Pooh's "personal assistant" as an adult, and help to pass on that magic to other kids. Piglet was my favorite though. He was tiny, like me, and n-n-n-n-nervous, like me, and I so identified with him having to overcome his "shortcomings". It certainly is a very sad day in the UK Pavillion and the County Bounty rooms, and of course the Boatdock. Much love and Pooh-sized hugs to all my fellow fluff-n-stuffs right now!:(

AndreainNY

This is so sad - Tigger is my #1 favorite ever and P-p-p- Piglet is not far behind. Heaven must be just bouncing today!!! It makes me feel really, really old. These characters have such a special place in my heart!

poohbear6103

How sad! Pooh is my favorite but Piglet is a very close second. Does anyone know if their voices are the ones we hear on the Winnie the Pooh ride at WDW? Or are those other actors who have learned to do the voices?

prberk

I agree, AndreainNY. Very sad here, but perhaps a celebration in the "hundred (plus) acre wood" of heaven....

We were blessed to have them for the time that we did. Their work will continue to inspire us.

Paul

tigsmom

The NYTimes posted their obits right next to each other.

June 27, 2005
<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> </nyt_headline> Paul Winchell, 82, TV Host and Film Voice of Pooh's Tigger, Dies

<nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> </nyt_byline> By JULIE SALAMON
<nyt_text> </nyt_text> Paul Winchell, the ventriloquist creator of the puppet Jerry Mahoney, who later became famous as the animated voice of Tigger, Winnie-the-Pooh's exuberant friend, died on Friday at his home in Moorpark, Calif. He was 82.

His death was announced by a family friend, Burt Dubrow, a television producer.

Mr. Winchell not only gave Tigger a voice to match his bounce in the animated versions of A. A. Milne's classic, but also his signature phrase, "Ta-ta for now."

Paul Wilchin was born in New York City on Dec. 21, 1922. He was a master ventriloquist and an early star of television; in 1950, he had his own show, featuring Jerry Mahoney. He later built another dummy sidekick, the dimwitted Knucklehead Smiff, who appeared with him and Jerry Mahoney on various shows in the 1950's and 1960's.

His creativity was not limited to show business, however. He studied hypnotism, acupuncture and theology and was fascinated by the ways things worked. He was an enthusiastic inventor and developed 30 patents. These included one for an early artificial heart, which he built in 1963 and then donated to the University of Utah for research.

Mr. Winchell also claimed credit for a wide variety of other inventions, including a flameless cigarette lighter, battery-heated gloves and an invisible garter belt.

He was classically quixotic in many ways. In the 1980's, he testified before a Congressional committee with other celebrities, including Ed Asner and Richard Dreyfuss, trying to obtain financing for the Tilapia Project, a plan to cultivate production of the tilapia fish, which thrives in brackish water, as a source of protein for undernourished people in sub-Saharan Africa. The project failed to interest Congress.

Becoming a performer was not an obvious path for Mr. Winchell: his own Web site, paulwinchell.com, describes him as a shy child with a stutter, whose parents were opposed to his career. But at 13, he made a radio appearance on "Major Bowes' Original Amateur Hour" doing imitations of Edgar Bergen and his dummy, Charlie McCarthy. He made his television debut in 1947.

Ed Sullivan gave him a significant boost and national exposure by inviting him to appear on his show from time to time. His long television career covered variety and children's shows, as well as on-camera guest appearances on series like "The Beverly Hillbillies," "The Lucy Show," and "The Brady Bunch."

Mr. Winchell's distinctive voice became popular in numerous animated roles for film and television cartoons. He began playing Tigger in 1968, in the Walt Disney's "Winnie-the-Pooh and the Blustery Day," which earned an Academy Award for best animated short film. In 1974 he, Sebastian Cabot and Sterling Holloway won a Grammy for the best children's recording of the year for "Winnie-the-Pooh and Tigger Too."

He continued playing the Pooh's bouncing buddy on television and in movies until 1999, when Jim Cummings, the current voice of Pooh, took on Tigger's part as well.

Mr. Winchell also supplied voices for Boomer in "The Fox and the Hound," for the Siamese cat in Disney's "Aristocats," and also for many Hanna-Barbera characters, including the evil Gargamel of "The Smurfs."

He was married three times, and is survived by his wife of 31 years, the former Jean Freeman, as well as five children. Mr. Winchell gave his wife Jean, who was British by birth, credit for Tigger's "Ta-ta for now" line. He wrote an autobiography, called "Winch," after his nickname.

Though the book describes the emotional traumas in his life, Mr. Winchell had a sense of humor. Describing the ill-fated Tilapia Project on his Web site, he tells of stopping in Manhattan after the hearings in Washington with Mr. Dreyfuss and Mr. Asner. They bumped into the comedian Alan King, who was walking on 49th Street carrying a tuxedo over his shoulder.

"When he saw us he did a triple take," Mr. Winchell wrote. "We asked him where he was going. 'I got a club date at the Waldorf tonight,' he grinned, 'and thought I'd walk.' We broke up and laughed like a bunch of kids and not a soul passing by recognized any of us. So go ahead and be a celebrity.' "

tigsmom

John Fiedler, 80, Stage Actor and Film Voice of Pooh's Piglet, Dies

<nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "> </nyt_byline> By MICHELLE O'DONNELL
<nyt_text> </nyt_text> John Fiedler, who played character roles in celebrated dramas on Broadway and in Hollywood but gained lasting fame among young audiences as the voice of Piglet in Walt Disney's Winnie-the-Pooh films, died on Saturday. He was 80.

His death was confirmed by his brother, James.

Mr. Fiedler had appeared in the Broadway production of "A Raisin in the Sun" and had played a juror on film in the drama "Twelve Angry Men" when, in the 1960's, his voice earned him the role of Piglet, the kind-hearted worrier who is Winnie-the-Pooh's best friend.

"Walt Disney heard it on a program and said, 'That's Piglet,' " James Fiedler recalled.

John Fiedler's natural speaking voice was higher than most men's, his brother said, but he still had to raise it considerably to achieve the high-pitch of the little pink pig. Mr. Fiedler continued to play this part in later life, most recently this year in "Pooh's Heffalump Movie"; last year, he did "Winnie-the-Pooh: Springtime with Roo," and in 2003, "Piglet's Big Movie."

John Donald Fiedler was born Feb. 3, 1925 in Platteville, a small town in southwestern Wisconsin, and was the oldest of three children born to Donald and Margaret Fiedler. When he was 5, his father, a salesman, moved the family to Shorewood, a suburb of Milwaukee.

There, John's love of acting bloomed, his brother said. He staged productions in the family's garage and cast them with neighborhood children.

He graduated from Shorewood High School in 1943 and enlisted in the United States Navy, serving stateside until World War II's end. He made his way to New York City the following year, his brother said, and joined the Neighborhood Playhouse.

In 1954, he landed the part of Medvedenko in "The Sea Gull" starring Montgomery Clift and Judith Evelyn Off Broadway at the Phoenix Theater. That was followed by the Broadway productions of "A Raisin in the Sun" with Sidney Poitier and "The Odd Couple" starring Walter Matthau and Art Carney. Many of his characters had meek demeanors that were belied by a tough, even mean streak.

He landed character parts in movies, including "True Grit" with John Wayne and "A Touch of Mink" with Cary Grant. In addition, he played parts on television series, including "Star Trek" and "The Bob Newhart Show," in which he was Mr. Peterson, the bashful patient who was always henpecked by his wife.

Mr. Fiedler said that his brother approached the part of Piglet with as much enthusiasm as his other roles, as it was simply a chance to act.

In addition to his brother, who lives in Madison, Wis., Mr. Fiedler is survived by a sister, Mary Dean of Milwaukee, and numerous nieces and nephews.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom