John C. Reilly confirms Wreck-It Ralph 2 is happening

TROR

As if this movie wasn't already embarrassing and pathetic, they decide to add that stupid fortnite dance to it. I hope this flops but I know it won't. Remember when Disney actually made movies with elegance and class?

matt2394

Best image from the trailer.
902wwGm.jpg

I half expect Deckard to be chasing Replicants through this thing.

But seriously, this movie really annoys me between the blatant product placement, the lack of respect for their history (some little kid's first exposure to Cinderella is going to be her threatening a little girl, how hi-ho-hilarious) and the fact that it has nothing to do with video games.

Princess Leia

The reviews I’ve read have all been in the B range, which is solid. Not sure if/when I’ll see it theaters, but this looks like it’s leagues better than the other two ‘kid’s movies out right now

BrianLo

Most seem to place this movie better than the original. I know the Pixar and Marvel brands have gotten us use to that as a possibility - but it's basically unheard of for WDAS.

Second - this is the 10th critically successful movie for WDAS in a row. Technically the heights of Pixar were oh so much higher, but even their Toy Story through Toy Story 3 run includes so-so Cars. Their recent 10 film run has included far more critical 'meh' (Cars 2, Brave, Monsters U, Good Dinosaur, Cars 3)... I know some don't care for Finding Dory, but that was critically well received.

From the sounds of things the marketing occurs mostly from the first part of the movie and it is one of those that starts slower and builds.

Animaniac93-98

Most seem to place this movie better than the original. I know the Pixar and Marvel brands have gotten us use to that as a possibility - but it's basically unheard of for WDAS.

That's mainly because Canon sequels up to this point have been rare. I count 4 including this:

The Rescuers Down Under
Fantasia 2000
Winnie the Pooh (2011)
Ralph Breaks the Internet

Of course more are on the way, but there's not a huge precedent for them.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's mainly because Canon sequels up to this point have been rare. I count 4 including this:

The Rescuers Down Under
Fantasia 2000
Winnie the Pooh (2011)
Ralph Breaks the Internet

Of course more are on the way, but there's not a huge precedent for them.

Plus, one can argue that Fantasia 2000 isn't a real sequel. The original Fantasia was intended to be an evolving anthology.

Certainly Frozen 2 will be a sequel. The rest of the DAS films are unknown. If the Jack and the Beanstalk movie wasn't killed, it would have been another non-sequel.

Now, with Pixar, Toy Story 4 will be their 21st film. Eight of them are sequels. But, we've been told the next two in the works are not sequels.

BrianLo

Plus, one can argue that Fantasia 2000 isn't a real sequel. The original Fantasia was intended to be an evolving anthology.

Certainly Frozen 2 will be a sequel. The rest of the DAS films are unknown. If the Jack and the Beanstalk movie wasn't killed, it would have been another non-sequel.

Now, with Pixar, Toy Story 4 will be their 21st film. Eight of them are sequels. But, we've been told the next two in the works are not sequels.

I think, within memory, this is the least we've known about the upcoming animation slate. Even Marvel is ridiculously lean in what they have revealed. Albeit for Marvel the series of sequels is far easier to predict.

I'd say its a company wide strategy, apart from Disney Live Action having declared they are working on practically every movie in the vault at this point.

I think D23 will be massive for film news. Not mentioning Fox/Disney+

Tavernacle12

I think, within memory, this is the least we've known about the upcoming animation slate. Even Marvel is ridiculously lean in what they have revealed. Albeit for Marvel the series of sequels is far easier to predict.

I'd say its a company wide strategy, apart from Disney Live Action having declared they are working on practically every movie in the vault at this point.

I think D23 will be massive for film news. Not mentioning Fox/Disney+

Marvel I imagine is due to Infinity War 2 spoilers, and we have a decent-ish idea about Lucasfilm’s slate. I imagine for WDAS and Pixar the lead time is so long they don’t want to announce something only to have to publicly cancel it. Plus Pixar apparently had some considerable trouble with Toy Story so their upcoming slate might be less developed than usual. Is the space race movie from WDAS still a thing?

BrianLo

Marvel I imagine is due to Infinity War 2 spoilers, and we have a decent-ish idea about Lucasfilm’s slate. I imagine for WDAS and Pixar the lead time is so long they don’t want to announce something only to have to publicly cancel it. Plus Pixar apparently had some considerable trouble with Toy Story so their upcoming slate might be less developed than usual. Is the space race movie from WDAS still a thing?

That's the thing, because WDAS/Pixar lead times are so long, we usually sort of know what they are up to. Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 had nearly 5 year lead times from us officially getting confirmation of their existence to opening. Granted, those are sequels.

We have placeholder dates through 2022 for many animated projects, so we kind of have to assume that's how developed their slate is, even if things shift. Particularly the early 2020 Pixar slate, we're about 17 months to that 1st film and and we don't even know what it is. That's historically very unusual and represents a change in how they have previously announced things (we usually have a names or concepts 3-4 movies out, not just 1). Another example: 17 months out people were actually semi-publicly viewing the princess footage for Ralph at D23.

I completely get Marvel though, it's totally about spoilers and I expect probably a big ole next phase outline once Avengers 4 does its thing and they nail down firm plans with Fox.

Lucasfilm is decently known in the sense that they cancelled everything.

Edit: Albeit I've learned that there is apparently some details on a possible suburban fantasy/elf film for Pixar, no idea which film it is out of their 5 though.

Tavernacle12

That's the thing, because WDAS/Pixar lead times are so long, we usually sort of know what they are up to. Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 had nearly 5 year lead times from us officially getting confirmation of their existence to opening. Granted, those are sequels.

We have placeholder dates through 2022 for many animated projects, so we kind of have to assume that's how developed their slate is, even if things shift. Particularly the early 2020 Pixar slate, we're about 17 months to that 1st film and and we don't even know what it is. That's historically very unusual and represents a change in how they have previously announced things (we usually have a names or concepts 3-4 movies out, not just 1). Another example: 17 months out people were actually semi-publicly viewing the princess footage for Ralph at D23.

I completely get Marvel though, it's totally about spoilers and I expect probably a big ole next phase outline once Avengers 4 does its thing and they nail down firm plans with Fox.

Lucasfilm is decently known in the sense that they cancelled everything.

Edit: Albeit I've learned that there is apparently some details on a possible suburban fantasy/elf film for Pixar, no idea which film it is out of their 5 though.

Isn't the elf idea one from WDAS? King Of The Elves? It's been in a perpetual state of maybe development for what feels like a decade. I guess Pixar could have one too. Both companies now having new heads after Lasseter could be delaying either production or reveals too, as the new heads get accustomed to things and make some choices they may not have had the power to before.

Lucasfilm hasn't canceled anything they'd previously and publicly greenlit, we still have Episode 9, at least two GOT creator films, and three Rian Johnson films coming up. The Cantina film no one knew about until its cancellation, and the Obi Wan and Boba films weren't officially announced either. It's not quite the same as the Newt or Gigantic situations that've happened to WDAS and Pixar.

Side note: With lead times being what they are, WDAS should really start thinking about getting a Mickey Movie out for his 100th birthday in 2028...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom