Joe Rohde's Collected Pandora Instagram Posts

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
Thanks for doing this, but perhaps a bit of overkill. Just for that, everyone should like Placeholder 77.
Joe's pretty prolific when it comes to his Instagram. I'll be maintaining and updating this archive through Pandora's first full week of operation. I can always delete the placeholders I don't need, but will keep placeholder 77 up for kicks!

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

Think we can add this one, although he doesn't specifically say what it is. Edit: It's actually pretty clear, now that I look at it again. He's definitely talking about the floating mountains.
This is Bernini's Apollo and Daphne, one of my favorite sculptures, which I used as a reference for a recent design problem with a similarly difficult challenge: to overcome the perceived weight of the medium and to convey dynamic action with relatively static material. You need to pay attention to the pure artistry of a piece before adding bells and whistles. If ones sculpture already seems to be swirling and uplifting when working in pure uncolored form, then any additional effects will be upgrades to something that already works. We discussed Bernini, Pozzo and Gaulli's extraordinary ceilings in Rome, and other Baroque sources to try to get across the exultant swirl of emotion needed to make our work of art "work." Our work of art bore no superficial resemblance to Bernini's. It was not a mythological scene of two individuals, but rather an entire environment. But it still needed that quality of weightless swirl. Any good designer needs to not only research other artists who have solved similar design problems...like the challenge of evoking swirling motion using permanent materials, or defying the apparent solidity and heaviness of your medium...thus, Disney's Animal Kingdom now owes a debt to Gian Lorenzo Bernini. #disneysanimalkingdom #art #artist#arthistorian #arthistory #bernini#baroque #disney #design

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

This is from 5 days ago:

Gaulli's ceiling at the Gesu in Rome was one of the inspirations behind the floating mountains at Pandora, The World of Avatar. Stand below the hovering mountains and look up and think of this. Apotheosis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom