Joe Rhode

MuRkErY

http://www.coasterradio.com/articles/rhodeinterview.html

There is the Direct Link. Joe Rhode comes in about 13 mins into Podcast.

It's pretty cool, interesting to hear about EE now we know what the ride involves.

I've come to the conclusion a lot of EE was actully internet hype, I know a lot of people seem to have said Joe Rhode hyped up EE too much, but in this interview he does not state anything that is not in the final ride.

EE looks great to me anyway.

Computer Magic

Woody13 said:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin
Certainty? In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Pongo

S.E.A. said:
I disagree about EPCOT

I'm with you. I said in an earlier post of mine on a different thread that Future world is just buildings with rounded sides. World Showcase is nice, but that's only half the park.

AK has theming everywhere.

MuRkErY

I'm with you. I said in an earlier post of mine on a different thread that Future world is just buildings with rounded sides.

That’s the architecture of Epcot though.

I think Future World as a name is a bit misleading, since it deals with the past, present, and future.

onholiday

I really like Joe Rohde, I think he's an entertaining guy to watch/hear speak, and I think that he has a real passion for what he does, and that's what's really important in his line of work. I think he really want to help make magic for people, and that's what matters!

Pongo

MuRkErY said:
That’s the architecture of Epcot though.

I think Future World as a name is a bit misleading, since it deals with the past, present, and future.

Architecture, yes.

Theming? No.

But I will give you World Showcase :D

S.E.A.

MuRkErY said:
Do you not think World Showcase is visually stunning ?

of course it is, but that's only half the park. Like how Hollywood blvd is spectacularly themed.

]
Also when I talk about theming, I dont just take it at face value, I also take into account the Ideology of the park, and how well this is put across.

EPCOT is supposed to be an everlasting World's fair....where is it now? Ideology does not equal execution. All of the WDW parks have fantastic ideologies but not all of them executes it to its full potential.

themeing means how it is themed not what it is themed for.

IMO, if you put everything we know about humanity, and the Universe, and then reduced it too 300 acres you would have Epcot.

Future World perfectly documents our knowledge, The Land, The Living Seas, Spaceship Earth (Our history, Communications), M:S (Space), Test Track (Transport), WoL, UoE, Innovations, Imagination.

you're counting Test Track and Mission: Space as the perfect representation of the human fascination with transportation and Space?

Then World Showcase perfectly documents quite a few of the many cultures of the Human Race.

This is all then tied together at the end of the night with RoE.

AK, also has a very nice ideology, but I dont think it is as yet developed as much as Epcots. BK could have gone a way to helping this.

The only Pixarifcation of Epcot I'm aware about is The Living Seas, which I personally dont have a problem with as long as it gets people more interested in The Living Seas, and does not take away from the main subject matter.

sure EPCOT is great, but it is fundametally flawed with everything else, it has a very tiring layout, the themeing of the area is easily dated. plus, EPCOT has forgotten what it is supposed to be about, giving way instead to thrills and tie-ins. It is cosmetically and structurally a deeply flawed park.

If you want to see the concept for EPCOT at its true potential, see about the forgotten Westcot park.

It is nowhere near the near perfect immersion that you get with Animal Kingdom, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris and Tokyo DisneySea.

it has a great theme but its themeing could be better.

theme is different to theme-ing, all the parks have great themes (except maybe for DCA) but not all of them have great themeing (WDSP)

Merlin

Account Suspended
Original Poster
People are saying he's "very passionate" about his work. But I don't think I've ever seen the guy even smile. In addition to being a little annoying, he's also somewhat intense, which kind of puts me off. He doesn't seem like someone who would connect with other people very well.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Merlin said:
People are saying he's "very passionate" about his work. But I don't think I've ever seen the guy even smile. In addition to being a little annoying, he's also somewhat intense, which kind of puts me off. He doesn't seem like someone who would connect with other people very well.
Different strokes for different folks. You find him annoying and don't care for his intensity, I find him to be a person who displays passion and intensity is just part of passion. Unfortunately, in North America, there seems to be a lack of people who truly display passion. The italians, the spanish... even the french, they have passion. I guess it's just who he is.

CaptainMichael

I'd definitely like to meet him. Say what you want, but the man is inspiring, interesting, colorful, and talented. I would also consider him to be the ambassador of WDI to the public. I enjoy his intensity and enthusiasm.

Pippa said:
The man who imagineered the Adventurers Club will always be OK in my book!

Whoo Hoo!!! I agree with Pippa KUNGALOOSH!! :D

Joe is an amazing imagineer and i hope to meet him one day in the parks. His storytelling, attention to detail and passion for what he does makes him a true asset to WDI.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Out of curiousity I'd like a list of existing things that Joe Rohde should get partial or full credit for. The things I know of are - 1) Adventurer's Club 2) Basic idea for Animal Kingdom 3) Kali River Rapids and 4) EE. What else is there? Is my basic list wrong in some way?

peter11435

ASJHLJ said:
Out of curiousity I'd like a list of existing things that Joe Rohde should get partial or full credit for. The things I know of are - 1) Adventurer's Club 2) Basic idea for Animal Kingdom 3) Kali River Rapids and 4) EE. What else is there? Is my basic list wrong in some way?
Well essentially he is responsible for all of AK. He was in charge of creative for the entire park not just EE and Kali. This includes everything from the Safari to the Tree of Life. He deserves partial credit for everything you see at AK. Additionally he deserves credit for the Adventurer's Club and also had a variety of roles in early Epcot including some work on the Norway pavilion.

There is also some speculation that he was the voice of Alexander Graham Bell in the American Adventure and that Dream Finder was loosely modeled after him.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
ASJHLJ said:
Mexico Pavilion

Epcot82Guy

He definitely has a unique element to him. He is an intense, artistic person. SOme find that passionate, and I can see where it could be a bit much (i.e. come off as annoying). However, he is an artist, and he pales in comparison with some I know. He's had a very strong run at Disney, and he has added a unique approach to the attractions at DAK. He goes for much stronger realism than some other attractions of the past (don't know if that is necessarily good or bad; just different). I guess, in short, I don't have to get excited listening to him speak to enjoy his work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom