Jingle bam vs Osborne lights

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
i went last night to see jingle bam, what an uncontrolled disaster. The crowds were out of control, no way to move, cast members had to yell at people to create a path to get around the court yard. The show was hard to evaluate because of limited view. The one thing that stuck out was no real Christmas emotional feel to it. The Osborne light show was breath taking and made you feel like Christmas. Your opinions please.

Sonconato

i went last night to see jingle bam, what an uncontrolled disaster. The crowds were out of control, no way to move, cast members had to yell at people to create a path to get around the court yard. The show was hard to evaluate because of limited view. The one thing that stuck out was no real Christmas emotional feel to it. The Osborne light show was breath taking and made you feel like Christmas. Your opinions please.
Precisely. What is missing is the exactly the emotion and the immersive nature of the Osborne lights. They truly had the Christmas spirit; this new "show," not so much. As is standard these days, the only way to get something even close is to pay extra for MVMCP. Aside from the lights on the castle (which are still nice to see every year), there really isn't much to even compare to the Osborne lights.

gsimpson

There is no real way to compare the two shows. One was a walk through at your own pace experience that went on for hours where you could soak it up for hours if you wished and the other is a last event kiss good night show. I don't think anyone would think that JB is a replacement for OSDL, That would be akin to saying illuminations is a replacement for Horizons - both great but not the same at all. As far as the actual JB show itself I think the fact they are bringing back the 'regular' nighttime show while Jingle Bam is still running says it all. It has some cool effects, some nice lasers, and some fair fireworks.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
My opinion is that it is a pointless discussion, as the lights are gone and never coming back. Doesn't matter that the new "show" is crappy - which seems to be the majority opinion. All it will do is get people's dander up over something that we'll never get see again. JMHO.
So the default position on everything disney is if it's good it can be talked about otherwise no discussion? The point is not to bring back the lights but to introduce something new that at least replaces the quality show that was removed. Apathy is not a good approach to anything.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
So the default position on everything disney is if it's good it can be talked about otherwise no discussion? The point is not to bring back the lights but to introduce something new that at least replaces the quality show that was removed. Apathy is not a good approach to anything.
No, that isn't it at all. As @gsimpson stated, you are comparing a walk-through street that you could spend hours going through - to a single night time show that most certainly isn't a replacement, and doesn't try to be. If you want to discuss how crappy the new show is - fine, go right ahead, and I'll even agree with you on that one. But to compare it to one of the best light/music shows ever is simply disingenuous, and will only get people upset for nothing. Osborne lights are never coming back, and we need to move on, and hope that Disney comes up with a better show next Christmas season.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
No, that isn't it at all. As @gsimpson stated, you are comparing a walk-through street that you could spend hours going through - to a single night time show that most certainly isn't a replacement, and doesn't try to be. If you want to discuss how crappy the new show is - fine, go right ahead, and I'll even agree with you on that one. But to compare it to one of the best light/music shows ever is simply disingenuous, and will only get people upset for nothing. Osborne lights are never coming back, and we need to move on, and hope that Disney comes up with a better show next Christmas season.
So I guess you understand disneys intent for this to be a quickly thrown together fill in and to never be seen again. Truth be told I would have rather had nothing but lights some snow And tasteful music as you strolled through the court yard. I was asking for opinions yours is noted thanks.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
So I guess you understand disneys intent for this to be a quickly thrown together fill in and to never be seen again. Truth be told I would have rather had nothing but lights some snow And tasteful music as you strolled through the court yard. I was asking for opinions yours is noted thanks.
You asked for opinions on a comparison between the two. My opinion is simple - you can't and I won't because it is so much apples and oranges as to be like comparing a 747 with a piper cub airplane. The Osborne Lights was the best light show ever. The new Jingle thing - barely any kind of show, and certainly not a good one up to Disney's old standards.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
You asked for opinions on a comparison between the two. My opinion is simple - you can't and I won't because it is so much apples and oranges as to be like comparing a 747 with a piper cub airplane. The Osborne Lights was the best light show ever. The new Jingle thing - barely any kind of show, and certainly not a good one up to Disney's old standards.
So if your Boeing and you sunset a 747 do you replace it with a piper cub? Then maybe the issue comes back to bad or non caring decision making?

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
So if your Boeing and you sunset a 747 do you replace it with a piper cub? Then maybe the issue comes back to bad or non caring decision making?
So I guess you just want to argue for arguments sake. :confused: There is not ONE person on this board that thinks there is any comparison between the two.

If there is, please post now, and then tell us what you were smoking when you went to the Jingle Bam show.

EvilChameleon

Just remember, another Preps And Landing show, the one before World Of Color, was eventually replaced by one of the best Christmas shows on all the properties combined.

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
Disney knew for a long time their long range plan to remove the Osborne lights, I would have thought the replacement would have been not so obviously thrown together. I,m of the school it's better to have nothing than a poor attempt at just giving the public some low quality show. I keep expecting the quality and caring of the old Disney maybe that's my fault.

wdwfan22

I think Disney is aware that Jingle Bell Jingle BAM isn't that great of a show. I believe this is the reason they brought the Star War show back early. Hopefully in time they can come up with a better holiday show.

DABIGCHEEZ

C'mon... you are forgetting that WDW gave the new Trail of Trees at Disney Springs too. That alone should make up for something. :D

21stamps

We enjoyed the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam show. The lasers were great, the glasses were cute and my kid has been using them ever since.

My complaint is the viewing for children. There is not one place where they could successfully see all of it.

turnip27

I have to say I really enjoyed the show. Comparing it to the lights is like comparing apples and pears.

Having read these boards before the trip I almost cancelled our dessert party booking and went in with low expectations, but really glad we didn't. I thought it was a great show with a good amount of fireworks (obviously it's not a firework show but enough there to entertain) and probably the best use of lasers I have seen. Finally the snow at the end (and the fact they kept it snowing all down the street whilst blasting out Christmas carols for 15 mins after the show) was a great "kiss goodnight".

Plus if nothing else it was nice to see a new show (we have seen all the other ones a few years ago).

Having said all this I admit we did the party so if I didn't have a few cocktails and a good viewing spot without having to wait for 2 hours I would probably feel differently!

parkhopper1213

If Disney truly cares about the guest experience then it is worth talking about it. We attended the Jingle Bell Jam over Thanksgiving. Cast members told us where to stand (we could not sit) and they crowed us all together. We stood there and watched the show. There was no singing or dancing. What we loved about the Osborne Light experience was being able to stroll through the streets and participate in group dances and take some great pictures of the lights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom