Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

TP2000

Ze and Panchito were both originally played by famous very Latin actors and were and are embraced by Mexican and Brazilian people today. We need more of them, honestly.

I couldn't agree more!

And the story of their creation, per the request of the wartime US State Department in order to strengthen cultural ties with our southern neighbors before the Nazis or Japanese could get to them, is really a fascinating chapter in both American and Disney history.

But as we've seen with other hipster Woke pogroms, none of those facts matter. It's a duck wearing a Sombrero, with stereotypical colonial caricatures from Mexico and Brazil. They must be erased before some white college kid is offended and harmed by their presence.

I really won't be surprised when Viva Navidad slips into Yesterland in the next year or two. It's the type of cultural fun that just can not be tolerated any longer by the Woke censors in HR.

Last edited:

TP2000

BTW doesn't Star Lord swear in one of the in-queue videos on MB or am I misremembering?

Yeah, I know what you are alluding to. I feel like there was some double entendre, or a barely muzzled swear word, in that pre-show video at Mission: Breakout. Surely someone smarter than I can fill us in on what we're trying to remember here.

Looking at it now, it's noticeable that Mission: Breakout is a giant celebration of toxic masculinity and macho rebellion. The lone female character, that green lady with the nice figure, is mostly unheard from throughout the ride. It's mainly that hunky white guy (Star Lord?) and that bulked up bodybuilder and the rowdy raccoon that run that show. Machismo and toxic masculinity, all set to a rock-n-roll beat.

The one and only song on the ride sung by a female, Pat Benatar, sings about "putting another notch in my lipstick case". And if you don't know what she's talking about there, you've never spritzed some cologne on before you left the house on a Saturday night.

They could never get away with that now. And that ride is what, four years old? :cool:

Last edited:

TP2000

Got away with what? Audiences embraced the movie and defied Disney’s concerns about its content.

True. But 30 years later they are rewriting the plot and covering up the curvy female character in a burka trench coat.

If they got away with something in 1988, they are pretending they didn't in 2021.

Karakasa

Just wanna point out: Jessica's been both a park ranger and a nurse before. She, like a lot of the cartoons she was inspired by, can change her occupation or role depending on the short she's in; thus, she can be a private eye too. If that article posted earlier is correct I don't really see this as an issue, tbh. If they were removing her completely I'd be upset but they're just giving the ride a revamp, and one that puts her in a starring role no less. This is a good thing. If they just swapped out the figure in the trunk with barrels and won't update the later figure with the hammer, that would be sloppy and worthy of criticism. But it seems like that isn't the case. I do criticize that they're updating the ride in chunks, however. But, maybe they think if it worked for Jungle Cruise, it could work here? I'm not sure I agree it does, though.

And like, another thing... y'all have seen the poster they're putting in the queue until the ride's fully changed up, right?
hOgOnBZ.jpg

She's... well, exactly as sexy as she always was. Certainly as sexy as she was in her park ranger or nurse uniform. She's simply taking an even more proactive role in the plot of the ride, and the ride itself is being better incorporated into Toontown's theming. This, to me, is good. Like, I mean, if you really liked that she was a tied up damsel-in-distress at a certain point of the ride or found her cocktail dress sexier or just more aesthetically appealing, that's fine, but just say so, yeah? Let's not dance around it. This is not Disney body-shaming or another-sort-of-shaming that I can't mention here because of word filters (something I'd take very seriously and be against if they were). This is... well, them deciding to do something interesting with the character. As a fan of the character I'm very excited about that.

Now, there are quite a few changes Disney is doing to the parks I don't at all agree with... looking at Epcot, particularly the "Communicore" area and the mechanical monsters in the lagoon very pointedly right now. Genie+ is looking to be a potential trainwreck as well. And that's far from the only things...

But both this and, I think, the Splash Mountain with PatF characters overlay are good decisions. Hell, I liked the Pirates changes.... well, the later ones. They really didn't need to put Sparrow in, still rather salty (har har) about that.

I understand how easy it is to be cynical about Disney as of late. As someone with leftist leanings, I have a great many criticisms of them. The list really does go on. You could easily say I hate Disney the corporation as much as I love Disney the arthouse (or well, aspects of it, I have criticisms of some of their recent output). But sometimes, maybe, just maybe, they aren't doing something bad? I mean, absolutely no one with a straight face can say the DCA ToT change to GotG was a downgrade, for example. Sometimes the changes they do are..... good?! Shock and awe!

I'll never forgive them for getting rid of the Electric Umbrella, or refusing to fix the Yeti, or tearing down Snow White's Scary Adventures for a princess M&G, or replacing the Great Movie Ride with M&M instead of plopping M&M into the Animation Courtyard... But, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this because P.I. Jessica Rabbit sounds really cool, actually.

Now, if the changes really only amount to the car-barrels and slipping on a trenchcoat that doesn't fit the ride's aesthetic over the other Jessica figures in the ride, I'll be upset, but right now, I don't see that as being the case. I'll eat crow if it does turn out to be the case but it sounds like something more along the lines of the Jungle Cruise changes, which they did pretty well.

OG Runner

What PC police? Disney made this decision on their own. Unless you’re referring to Disney as the “PC police?”
Ding, ding, ding. You win! Disney have definitely become the PC police over the last few years.
Do you really think they were being forced to retheme Splash Mountain? The ride has been there
for what 40 years and suddenly it is offensive?

Movielover

Ding, ding, ding. You win! Disney have definitely become the PC police over the last few years.
Do you really think they were being forced to retheme Splash Mountain? The ride has been there
It's 2021, Police is a offensive word and a representation of a troubled system. Disney prefers the word PC Cover Our Posteriors Services, otherwise known as the P.C. C.O.P.S.

It allows them to be more authoritarian and utterly repugnant. ;)

Californian Elitist

Just wanna point out: Jessica's been both a park ranger and a nurse before. She, like a lot of the cartoons she was inspired by, can change her occupation or role depending on the short she's in; thus, she can be a private eye too. If that article posted earlier is correct I don't really see this as an issue, tbh. If they were removing her completely I'd be upset but they're just giving the ride a revamp, and one that puts her in a starring role no less. This is a good thing. If they just swapped out the figure in the trunk with barrels and won't update the later figure with the hammer, that would be sloppy and worthy of criticism. But it seems like that isn't the case. I do criticize that they're updating the ride in chunks, however. But, maybe they think if it worked for Jungle Cruise, it could work here? I'm not sure I agree it does, though.

And like, another thing... y'all have seen the poster they're putting in the queue until the ride's fully changed up, right?
hOgOnBZ.jpg

She's... well, exactly as sexy as she always was. Certainly as sexy as she was in her park ranger or nurse uniform. She's simply taking an even more proactive role in the plot of the ride, and the ride itself is being better incorporated into Toontown's theming. This, to me, is good. Like, I mean, if you really liked that she was a tied up damsel-in-distress at a certain point of the ride or found her cocktail dress sexier or just more aesthetically appealing, that's fine, but just say so, yeah? Let's not dance around it. This is not Disney body-shaming or another-sort-of-shaming that I can't mention here because of word filters (something I'd take very seriously and be against if they were). This is... well, them deciding to do something interesting with the character. As a fan of the character I'm very excited about that.

Now, there are quite a few changes Disney is doing to the parks I don't at all agree with... looking at Epcot, particularly the "Communicore" area and the mechanical monsters in the lagoon very pointedly right now. Genie+ is looking to be a potential trainwreck as well. And that's far from the only things...

But both this and, I think, the Splash Mountain with PatF characters overlay are good decisions. Hell, I liked the Pirates changes.... well, the later ones. They really didn't need to put Sparrow in, still rather salty (har har) about that.

I understand how easy it is to be cynical about Disney as of late. As someone with leftist leanings, I have a great many criticisms of them. The list really does go on. You could easily say I hate Disney the corporation as much as I love Disney the arthouse (or well, aspects of it, I have criticisms of some of their recent output). But sometimes, maybe, just maybe, they aren't doing something bad? I mean, absolutely no one with a straight face can say the DCA ToT change to GotG was a downgrade, for example. Sometimes the changes they do are..... good?! Shock and awe!

I'll never forgive them for getting rid of the Electric Umbrella, or refusing to fix the Yeti, or tearing down Snow White's Scary Adventures for a princess M&G, or replacing the Great Movie Ride with M&M instead of plopping M&M into the Animation Courtyard... But, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this because P.I. Jessica Rabbit sounds really cool, actually.

Now, if the changes really only amount to the car-barrels and slipping on a trenchcoat that doesn't fit the ride's aesthetic over the other Jessica figures in the ride, I'll be upset, but right now, I don't see that as being the case. I'll eat crow if it does turn out to be the case but it sounds like something more along the lines of the Jungle Cruise changes, which they did pretty well.
The issue here speaks to a broader problem currently plaguing the parks. I don’t think anyone here opposes the idea of Jessica being a P.I. in general. It’s the fact that she will be one in the ride at the expense of the premise of the original attraction for really no good, sound reason.

Also, Jessica’s iconic cleavage is noticeably missing from the concept art. When she was a nurse and a park ranger, it was still there. So I’d argue it’s not exactly the same and I think it’s clear what Disney is doing here.

Californian Elitist

Splash is closer to 30.

The ride isn’t offensive, the movie it’s based on is. I’ll leave it here, since we have a dedicated thread to this topic.

lazyboy97o

The issue here speaks to a broader problem currently plaguing the parks. I don’t think anyone here opposes the idea of Jessica being a P.I. in general. It’s the fact that she will be one in the ride at the expense of the premise of the original attraction for really no good, sound reason.
And it doesn’t make a lot of sense. How does a private investigator stop crime? They can’t arrest or file indictments. It seems like an attempt to not glorify the police but for years if you wanted to [violently] suppress union organizing you hired private investigators.

brianstl

It was Disney's most popular film that they made in the 80's (yes, even more than Little Mermaid), for a brief few years Roger Rabbit merchandise was more popular than Mickey and Friends and one constant throughout the entire Eisner era was building attractions/rides that would appeal to teen audiences (as seen with Videopolis, Alien Encounter, etc.).
Weren't the plans at one time to even go in bigger on Roger both in film and in the parks, but then their was a falling out between Spielberg and Disney that basically stopped anything new with Roger from moving forward?

lazyboy97o

Weren't the plans at one time to even go in bigger on Roger both in film and in the parks, but then their was a falling out between Spielberg and Disney that basically stopped anything new with Roger from moving forward?
Kind of yes and and no and not entirely so.

Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin was originally envisioned as a two story ride and elements of that design intent can still be seen in ToonTown. As part of the Disney Decade a whole Maroon Studios area was announced for the Disney-MGM Studios with a few different attractions. These projects not happening or not happening as originally envisioned had more to do with the cuts that came sweeping in after the rocky opening of Euro Disneyland.

There was though concurrent to this the souring relationship with Spielberg who apparently felt he was being more and more left out of decisions particularly regarding the short films. The final impasse was apparently regarding the prequel that was to be set during World War II with Nazis as too toony antagonists. The making of Schindler’s List changed Spielberg’s attitude towards the Nazis and he no longer found it acceptable to portray them as bumbling comic foils. Four shorts (one in production and three in planning) were cancelled as part of the falling out. For awhile afterwards the even bigger nail in Roger’s coffin was DreamWorks SKG.

Last edited:

brianstl

Kind of yes and and no and not entirely so.

Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin was originally envisioned as a two story ride and elements of that design intent can still be seen in ToonTown. As part of the Disney Decade a whole Maroon Studios area was announced for the Disney-MGM Studios with a few different attractions. These projects not happening or not happening as originally envisioned had more to do with the cuts that came sweeping in after the rocky opening of Euro Disneyland.

There was though concurrent to this the souring relationship with Spielberg who apparently felt he was being more and more left out of decisions particularly regarding the short films. The final impasse was apparently regarding the prequel that was to be set during World War II with Nazis as too toony antagonists. The making of Schindler’s List changed Spielberg’s attitude towards the Nazis and he no longer found it acceptable to portray them as bumbling comic foils. Four shorts (one in production and three in planning) we cancelled as part of the falling out. For awhile afterwards the even bigger nail in Roger’s coffin was DreamWorks SKG.
Thank you for the run down.

Roger Rabbit is one of my all time favorite Disney productions. It has always felt to me like it was underused and now, sadly, lacks the relevance to be properly used anymore.

TP2000

Just wanna point out: Jessica's been both a park ranger and a nurse before. She, like a lot of the cartoons she was inspired by, can change her occupation or role depending on the short she's in; thus, she can be a private eye too.

Understood. And Barbie can be a nurse, or a stewardess, or an astronaut. She's Barbie and she can do anything.

Barbie's dumpy little friend Midge, on the other hand... :cool:

She's... well, exactly as sexy as she always was. Certainly as sexy as she was in her park ranger or nurse uniform. She's simply taking an even more proactive role in the plot of the ride, and the ride itself is being better incorporated into Toontown's theming.

While I honestly appreciate your optimism for this project, I think many of us here give pause because they will be trying to lay out this entirely new plotline and character arc via a 3 minute noisy dark ride. That spins. The vast majority of the audience will have no idea what's going on with these characters that were abandoned by Disney 25 years ago.

To lay out an entirely new character arc and plotline effectively in this noisy, hectic dark ride (that spins) seems an impossible task.

It really does just seem the HR Committee wanted to cover up the sexy animatronic with a trench coat and pretend she's now the star of the movie from 1989 instead of being a supporting (if memorable) character. While spinning.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Why? For not championing character design that objectifies women?

Yes, I understand she's "just drawn that way" and it's to make a point. But if you slap a baby to just "make a point," you're still slapping a baby. Bad deeds with good intentions are still bad deeds. Sexualizing women is a bad deed.
How does showing cleavage equate to the objectification of women?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom