Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

Californian Elitist

As someone who has a similar, hourglass shape like Jessica (without the exaggerations), I do find it strange that some people seem to be offended, upset, disturbed, etc. by such body types. And yes, these body types do exist. Jessica is exaggerated, but there are plenty of women with hourglass shapes.

In terms of objectification, physical looks don’t always contribute to that. Women historically have always been objectified, big , small waist, and thunder thighs or not. In addition, some of us enjoy baring our chest here and there.

brb1006

Robert Zemeckis and Christopher Lloyd are busy doing a spiritual successor to Roger Rabbit for HBO Max using Warner's Golden Age cartoon properties so I doubt it.

EDIT: And I don't get the impression that Spielberg wants to work with Disney right now with how he's not working on IJ5.
For those curious on the HBO Max series, it's called "Tooned Out".
EIFumMjUEAAIIHl.jpg:large

brb1006

My goodness.

And twenty years ago I rented a VHS of this movie for my young nephews?!? What the hell was I thinking?
Heck, I remember Roger Rabbit used to air on Cartoon Network during the 2000s for their "Cartoon Theater" block. They know their demographic.

brb1006

I watched it a few months ago and was surprised at how 'adult' the film was. It was definitely made more for adults who grew up watching the classic animation depicted in the film.

Heck, the whole plot is started when Roger sees pictures of Jessica Rabbit playing 'patty cake' with another man.

It's also a surprisingly good film and better then anything the Walt Disney Company has put out in the last 10 years.

Yeah that film was clearly aimed at adults who grew up on those cartoons.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

As someone who has a similar, hourglass shape like Jessica (without the exaggerations), I do find it strange that some people seem to be offended, upset, disturbed, etc. by such body types. And yes, these body types do exist. Jessica is exaggerated, but there are plenty of women with hourglass shapes.

In terms of objectification, physical looks don’t always contribute to that. Women historically have always been objectified, big *****, small waist, and thunder thighs or not. In addition, some of us enjoy baring our chest here and there.
I liked this post because your experience sounds similar to my fiancé who as more of a casual Disney fan thought this redo seems odd for a similar reason.

Given the trends toward body positivity in general in the millennial/Gen Z generation maybe this makes some sense, but I’m also not sure. As others have noted Hercules, Gaston, etc. have muscular builds. Am I as a man supposed to feel objectified by that “beauty standard” too?

It also seems odd the obsession with dress vs. pants (they even made a point to put Tiana in pants for the Splash concept art). Seems like a very outdated trope borrowed from an undergrad gender studies course that isn’t even in touch with modern 21st century relationship dynamics or even social media trends.

Californian Elitist

I liked this post because your experience sounds similar to my fiancé who as more of a casual Disney fan thought this redo seems odd for a similar reason.

Given the trends toward body positivity in general in the millennial/Gen Z generation maybe this makes some sense, but I’m also not sure. As others have noted Hercules, Gaston, etc. have muscular builds. Am I as a man supposed to feel objectified by that “beauty standard” too?

It also seems odd the obsession with dress vs. pants (they even made a point to put Tiana in pants for the Splash concept art). Seems like a very outdated trope borrowed from an undergrad gender studies course that isn’t even in touch with modern 21st century relationship dynamics or even social media trends.
And even then, pants won’t do much. Women can still be objectified/look sexy in pants.

I did a photo shoot earlier this year and wore a jumpsuit. My chest was exposed a bit, but even if it wasn’t, I still would have gotten the same comments from the same male acquaintances that I have. It really doesn’t matter.

D081CBE6-3F34-4843-B918-FB2D04DA7044.jpeg

Speaking of this photo shoot, I got an artistic version of it done. The exaggerations are similar to Jessica Rabbit, which I appreciated. Some of us women admire and love Jessica Rabbit and don’t find issues with her. Of course, others may disagree.

3DB44E91-D5C5-42A9-844C-746EC67A6D16.jpeg

Dear Prudence

And even then, pants won’t do much. Women can still be objectified/look sexy in pants.

I did a photo shoot earlier this year and wore a jumpsuit. My chest was exposed a bit, but even if it wasn’t, I still would have gotten the same comments from the same male acquaintances that I have. It really doesn’t matter.

View attachment 587208

Speaking of this photo shoot, I got an artistic version of it done. The exaggerations are similar to Jessica Rabbit, which I appreciated. Some of us women admire and love Jessica Rabbit and don’t find issues with her. Of course, others may disagree.

View attachment 587209
First of all, NOTHING SHORT OF ICONIC 🤩🤩🤩🤩

Secondly, we could wear trash bags and still be objectified. I have been built similar to Jessica Rabbit since 5th grade. I hate the comments about, "no one is built like that" for some of us who are incredibly similar, seeing someone like her and seeing how she talks about her body AND her intelligence is validation and important. Her comments about how the world perceives her body, but that's not who she is as a person are so important.

Californian Elitist

First of all, NOTHING SHORT OF ICONIC 🤩🤩🤩🤩

Secondly, we could wear trash bags and still be objectified. I have been built similar to Jessica Rabbit since 5th grade. I hate the comments about, "no one is built like that" for some of us who are incredibly similar, seeing someone like her and seeing how she talks about her body AND her intelligence is validation and important. Her comments about how the world perceives her body, but that's not who she is as a person are so important.
Thank you! And seriously! Not gonna lie, I’ve been rotating the same two pairs of lounge pants and maybe four t-shirts ever since the pandemic started (when I actually go somewhere, I put more effort in, of course). I go out to walk my dogs, looking like a BUM, and I still get stares, men slowing down their cars, honking, etc. It doesn’t matter what we do.

I can relate. I started developing when I was 8. You and I both know those comments. Yes, there are plenty of women paying surgeons lots of money to look like Jessica Rabbit, but not all of us have to do that. Speaking of intelligence, we both went to grad school, right? Women can be shapely and be intelligent at the same time. There’s no correlation between the two.

I don’t see a problem with Jessica Rabbit.

Sharon&Susan

Here's the full poster -

View attachment 587210

Wish this did a better job at looking like a vintage newspaper, the fonts look incredibly modern and look like they came preloaded on Word (Why Comic Sans for the body text?) and it's just lacking any details to sell it as such like how it's missing a header.

This image Disney did for the Parks Blogs a few years ago does a far better job at being a convincing enough fake newspaper:
1631743109087.png

Anjin

Wish this did a better job at looking like a vintage newspaper, the fonts look incredibly modern and look like they came preloaded on Word (Why Comic Sans for the body text?) and it's just lacking any details to sell it as such like how it's missing a header.

This image Disney did for the Parks Blogs a few years ago does a far better job at being a convincing enough fake newspaper:
View attachment 587248
If it's supposed to be a Toon Town production, then I think it gets a pass for using Comic Sans. As far as the format goes, that's indefensible if it is really appearing in the ride/queue.

That looks more like something you'd hang on a construction wall to draw intereat, not an actual product of Imagineering.

Castle Cake Apologist

The usual things... objectionable of women, falling into specific tropes (like needing to be saved), promoting and unrealistic body image. Jessica Rabbit is a very adult character from a rather borderline adult movie, posing in an attraction located in the most kid-friendly area of a family friendly theme park.

I think Disney has always had a bit of a problem with how to portray Jessica. I seem to remember a few years back that they had some "art" from the ride created to sell and had to pull it off the shelves at the last second because someone was offended by it.

With all due respect, you've either never seen the film, or are purposefully being obtuse here. I'm guessing the latter.

Castle Cake Apologist

View attachment 587208

View attachment 587209

Girl, SLAY! 😍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom