Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

el_super

Agency and choice is the right message. Putting Jessica is an ugly jacket that looks like a fan made addition is not it.

She admits in the movie that she didn't have agency in her own right, when she mentions just being "drawn" that way. She did not get to choose how she was dressed. While the movie gave her time to break the constructs of her character design, the ride did not.

Or just take JR out of it completely. If the execs think she's a problem, just take her out and let the ride be the Car Toon Spin fun it is supposed to be, and don't recreate the ride or scenes to fit a silly new narrative over one "problem" character. It's not as if she was completely essential to the ride.

I don't see how both things can be true. She can't both be so inconsequential to the ride that she can easily be removed, and also now a problem that needs to be solved by removing her. I feel that removing her entirely from the ride would have sent exactly the same kind of message that people are now complaining about.

truecoat

The Detective Jessica Rabbit overlay is temporary. When Toontown closes down next year, Imagineers have announced a reskin of the ride as Jessica Rabbit's Potato Sack Race in which Jessica Rabbit will be hopping through the ride in a potato sack from head to toe.

Roger-Rabbit potato sack race.jpg

The Aracuan Bird

She admits in the movie that she didn't have agency in her own right, when she mentions just being "drawn" that way. She did not get to choose how she was dressed. While the movie gave her time to break the constructs of her character design, the ride did not.

I don't see how both things can be true. She can't both be so inconsequential to the ride that she can easily be removed, and also now a problem that needs to be solved by removing her. I feel that removing her entirely from the ride would have sent exactly the same kind of message that people are now complaining about.
The ride had her break free of the ropes that tied her up, and she got the drop on the weasels. How much better could you demonstrate the “breaking of social constructs” in a 3 minute dark ride? She defied the kidnapped damsel trope.

Now you’re being told that she’s strong and independent, but they aren’t really showing it. She’s not in any danger anymore. She’s not overcoming any challenge. She’s just...there I guess.

It’s not the biggest of deals, but the only purpose this update achieves is covering her up.

BasiltheBatLord

I think part of the problem is there's an inherent contradiction in the modern feminist portrayal of a "strong and independent" woman. You can easily see this in sex-obsessed American pop culture today. "Strong and independent" was taken to mean sexually shameless and liberated, yet here we are dressing up Jessica Rabbit because she's too much of an object.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom