Jessica and not Roger

rogerrabbitfan9

Original Poster
I went to Typhoon Lagoon the other week and when I went to the giftshop I noticed something interesting . On the summer 2004 towels it has a picture of Jessica Rabbit . If they [Disney] can use her, why can't use Roger Rabbit .

Figment1986

Perhaps they made a new agreement for use of jessica rabit on shirts and towels...

I remember they have shirts with her in them... maby they are trying to get what more people will buy. jessica or roger... more people would buy jessica rabbit....

MissM

There's tons of Jessica Rabbit pins out there. Just this May (?) they released one with her in Nurse costume for Nurse's Day. Of course people got their panties in a wad and had Disney pull it because it was promoting a bad image of nurses. :rolleyes:

It doesn't surprise me to see merchandise with her, they've pushed things with her for awhile now. (Though I hadn't realized there wasn't any Roger stuff until just now!)
-m

KevinPage

I'm assuming it is just the Roger Rabbit character they can't or won't use, but all the other charaqters in the movie do not have any restriction.

Jusjuice

I remember hearing that Amblin (Steven Speilberg) owns half the rights to the image of Roger Rabbit, but not the other characters. (Jessica, Benny the Cab, Baby Herman, etc.) Therefore, Disney can use all the other characters they want without asking Speilberg, but just not Roger. This explains why Benny the cab was seen in the House of Mouse, but no other characters. I know Speilberg was mad at Disney for a period in the 90's after the whole Katzenberg thing, so there wasn't any Roger merchandise for a long time. Every now and then, though Disney will release something with Roger on it. At Pop Century, I guess, Disney asked and got permission from Speilberg.

I'm sure there's someone who knows more on this subject......

JBSLJames

MissM said:
Of course people got their panties in a wad :rolleyes:/QUOTE]

Nice choice of words. It's been at least a few hours since I heard that term used. It has such a gentle, almost Darwainian feel to it doesn't it?

As far as Jessica vs. Roger, Wouldn't matter to me. I would probably like a Roger T-Shirt more than Jessica. Something a little disturbing about seeing a curvacious character on the shirt of a guy. Kind of desperate if you think about it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...

ALL of the "Roger Rabbit" characters (Roger, Jessica, Baby Herman, Benny the Cab, etc.) are jointly-owned by The Walt Disney Company and Amblin Entertainment.

Therefore, they have to make agreements before ANY of the characters from that film (whether it be Roger or Jessica or Benny or Baby or whatever) can be used in any Disney productions or products or even in the theme parks.

Besides, everytime Roger or one of his co-stars appears on something, the copyright notice on the bottom always says "Copyright Disney/Amblin" (and that DOES include the various Jessica items that they've been making lately).

As for other things like "House of Mouse", I was told that one of the reasons why they okayed Benny appearing on that show is because Benny is really a rather minor character compared to Roger...and because Roger is the main character.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
All of the Roger Rabbit characters are 100% Disney except for Roger. The animated Roger Rabbit character was created by Amblin, but animated by Disney. Disney has had licensing agreements to use the Roger character in the past, but no more. He may appear in old stock merchandise, but nothing new/no park meets. However, outside the US it's a whole different story (ie- Disney's Party Express at Tokyo Disneyland, just a few years ago, had a Roger Rabbit Float)

(sigh) Once again, you are DEAD wrong, MKT!

Someone else already taught you several months ago that ALL the Roger characters are jointly-owned by Disney and Amblin, according to the US copyright office! DID YOU LEARN NOTHING, MKT?!

Folks, don't listen to him--he's wrong--you know that, I know that, he knows that, EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!

Also, MKT, you picked a VERY bad time to reply to a topic like this--I AM NOT IN A VERY GOOD MOOD RIGHT NOW, SO PLEASE STOP RESPONDING TO "EVERY" ROGER, JESSICA, ET AL. TOPIC UNDER THE SUN! YOU'RE GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF ME!

nicholas

disneyphilip said:
(sigh) Once again, you are DEAD wrong, MKT!

Someone else already taught you several months ago that ALL the Roger characters are jointly-owned by Disney and Amblin, according to the US copyright office! DID YOU LEARN NOTHING, MKT?!

Folks, don't listen to him--he's wrong--you know that, I know that, he knows that, EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!

Also, MKT, you picked a VERY bad time to reply to a topic like this--I AM NOT IN A VERY GOOD MOOD RIGHT NOW, SO PLEASE STOP RESPONDING TO "EVERY" ROGER, JESSICA, ET AL. TOPIC UNDER THE SUN! YOU'RE GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF ME!
Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, that really isn't the best way to go about discussing this.

And speaking from an outsiders perspective, the maturity level of that response makes someone who doesn't know the answer to this question more apt to side with MKT's answer.

Now, I'll just sit back and patiently wait for my negative reputation points.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Philip,

If I'm going to be the death of you, then you really need to sort out your priorities. You are literally obsessed with the topic, seeing as you reply to every single one. I simply correct you, and you scream at me. I know your condition, but I've gotten annoyed with it. You've been banned from message boards before for your attitude, and rejoined after having been banned. I hope this one is added to your track record.

And about Roger, don't change your story. First they're WHOLLY owned by Disney, now they're shared by Amblin and Disney. Make up your mind, mine is.

Actually, my mind IS made up.

I DON'T recall EVER saying that the Roger Rabbit characters were 100%-owned by Disney, even though it would be nice if they were.

And another thing, it seems that people like you, MKT, never read those teeny-weeny copyright notices on the merchandise items that you see in the stores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom