Jersey Roll Call!!

cdeev8690

I'm a weird one! I bought my first house this past summer in Oaklyn, NJ which is south Jersey for all you Northerners. It seems the only South SJ town anyone from North/Central Jersey knows is Cherry Hill, so if you know where Cherry Hill is..I'm about 10 minutes south of CH and 10 minutes east of South Philly.

I grew up on Long Island and moved to Philadelphia when I was 25. I spent three years in North Philly and now I'm officially a Jersey Girl! Cheesesteaks are good, pork roll is better, Wawa > 7 Eleven every day, bagels are trash down here (for the most part) and the pizza needs serious improvement, I say hoagie now but sometimes slip up and say sub. I still cheer for my NY teams but have grown pretty fond of the area and it's charm :happy:

My next trip to WDW is the end of March! I'll be visiting from March 29th to April 2nd, staying offsite at one of the Marriott's and probably spending most of my time enjoying Flower & Garden with my mom and dad.

abcxyz

My cousin lives in Sicklerville. I got friends all over South Jersey.....Turnersville, Glassboro, Mantua, Woodbury...
Born in Camden, raised in "cowtown" aka Woodstown! Family in Shamong, Moorestown, Riverton & Swedesboro.
Live on the Eastern Shore of MD now...it's still jimmies and pork roll to us, and scrapple from local butcher almost every weekend. Haven't seen a ice cream cake roll in years & years....... And of course the beach areas are still the shore to me.

SteveBrickNJ

As an Ocean County resident...(Brick NJ is between Pt. Pleasant Beach and Seaside Heights)....living here the "jimmies" word is never used.
Yet, may I ask other NJ people on this thread about another word?
"Bennies".....or "Benny".
We call visitors to the Pt. Pleasant or Seaside Heights boardwalks a "Benny" if they come from north of GSP mile marker 127.
......or from any of NYC's 5 boroughs.
Any of you use that term?
Actually the local business people need and appreciate them.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

As an Ocean County resident...(Brick NJ is between Pt. Pleasant Beach and Seaside Heights)....living here the "jimmies' word is never used.
We call visitors to the Pt. Pleasant or Seaside Heights boardwalks a "Benny" if they come from north GSP mile marker 127.
The most common definition of the term is an acronym of Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York...the seasonal tourists that come down the shore for the day...The term "shoobie" is also used for the same groups, however shoobie is usually associated with south jersey beaches such as Wildwood, referring to those same day trippers from Philadelphia. That term has 2 origins...One, the visitors would bring their lunches in a shoe box and the other was their habit of wearing shoes on the beach. Since I grew up in North Jersey, I guess I could have been called a benny, but now that I have lived "down the shore" (Toms River) for almost 26 years and my DD's were born and raised here, I would HOPE I have graduated from that definition! lol

Smiley/OCD

Born in Camden, raised in "cowtown" aka Woodstown! Family in Shamong, Moorestown, Riverton & Swedesboro.
Live on the Eastern Shore of MD now...it's still jimmies and pork roll to us, and scrapple from local butcher almost every weekend. Haven't seen a ice cream cake roll in years & years....... And of course the beach areas are still the shore to me.
Great flea market in Cowtown...still there and going strong!

SteveBrickNJ

The most common definition of the term is an acronym of Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York...the seasonal tourists that come down the shore for the day...The term "shoobie" is also used for the same groups, however shoobie is usually associated with south jersey beaches such as Wildwood, referring to those same day trippers from Philadelphia. That term has 2 origins...One, the visitors would bring their lunches in a shoe box and the other was their habit of wearing shoes on the beach. Since I grew up in North Jersey, I guess I could have been called a benny, but now that I have lived "down the shore" (Toms River) for almost 26 years and my DD's were born and raised here, I would HOPE I have graduated from that definition! lol
You have graduated out of the "benny" category for sure ;)😁
Another explanation was we local residents pay the higher taxes for 12 months but during the best 3 months (June, July and August) people from far away clog up our roads...they only come to our area in the summer for the BENNYfits.

Last edited:

WDWmazprty

Wow! yes, I know Woodstown real well...had lots of friends from there. That's awesome!

HouCuseChickie

As an Ocean County resident...(Brick NJ is between Pt. Pleasant Beach and Seaside Heights)....living here the "jimmies' word is never used.
We call visitors to the Pt. Pleasant or Seaside Heights boardwalks a "Benny" if they come from north GSP mile marker 127.

I was always confused by the term Bennies/Benny. Not that I didn't know what it stood for, but I always wondered if I was one. As a kid, my dad avoided taking the boat out on certain days/times because there were supposedly too many Bennies on the water and he preferred going to the Pt. Pleasant BW over Seaside because of the number of Bennies at one vs. the other. Now, we had a house in the Toms River area, but that wasn't our main residence. Mind you, my mom grew up in Keyport and I can't recall if it was Chews Landing or Glendora where my dad grew up...but neither fit the acronym locales for being a Benny. That being said, I grew up in Union County, where the county seat is Elizabeth. So, I always wondered if my brother and I were technically Bennies. 🤣

SteveBrickNJ

I was always confused by the term Bennies/Benny. Not that I didn't know what it stood for, but I always wondered if I was one. As a kid, my dad avoided taking the boat out on certain days/times because there were supposedly too many Bennies on the water and he preferred going to the Pt. Pleasant BW over Seaside because of the number of Bennies at one vs. the other. Now, we had a house in the Toms River area, but that wasn't our main residence. Mind you, my mom grew up in Keyport and I can't recall if it was Chews Landing or Glendora where my dad grew up...but neither fit the acronym locales for being a Benny. That being said, I grew up in Union County, where the county seat is Elizabeth. So, I always wondered if my brother and I were technically Bennies. 🤣
I was a ride operator on Pt. Pleasant Beach boardwalk from age 16 until age 36! After 20 years there it is my opinion that most local people considered anyone who had to cross over the Raritan River Bridge (GSP mile marker 127) in order to arrive in our area to be a "Benny". So what!;) That was then....this is now.
It's all just in fun anyway. Local people bonding with each other...stuff like that. :happy:

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Seeing @SteveBrickNJ 's reference to the GSP reminded me of a funny NJ driving story. No, it's not another "What exit are you?" joke...especially since most non-NJ folks look at me cross-eyed when I say I was technically exit 135 off of the GSP, don't really identify with any NJ Turnpike exits, and 78 and 22 would be the highways closest to home.

Sorry...went off on a tangent. So, a former coworker had to fly into EWR (sometime back in the mid 90s) and missed her exit off of the Turnpike to direct her towards Manhattan. Having lived in Houston all of her life and having traveled mainly to Dallas and San Antonio, she assumed that all major cities had at least one highway that looped around the city. And since she figured the Turnpike was the main highway in NJ, she figured it would eventually loop around to the NY side and give her the chance to make her way into Manhattan. She drove all the way to the Delaware Memorial Bridge before realizing the error of her ways. 😂

SteveBrickNJ

Seeing @SteveBrickNJ 's reference to the GSP reminded me of a funny NJ driving story. No, it's not another "What exit are you?" joke...especially since most non-NJ folks look at me cross-eyed when I say I was technically exit 135 off of the GSP, don't really identify with any NJ Turnpike exits, and 78 and 22 would be the highways closest to home.

Sorry...went off on a tangent. So, a former coworker had to fly into EWR (sometime back in the mid 90s) and missed her exit off of the Turnpike to direct her towards Manhattan. Having lived in Houston all of her life and having traveled mainly to Dallas and San Antonio, she assumed that all major cities had at least one highway that looped around the city. And since she figured the Turnpike was the main highway in NJ, she figured it would eventually loop around to the NY side and give her the chance to make her way into Manhattan. She drove all the way to the Delaware Memorial Bridge before realizing the error of her ways. 😂
That's sooooo funny 😀

SteveBrickNJ

It is finally a warm NJ weekend and I am stuck in traffic. The visitors are here.
There is one roadway (Hooper Ave) that allows people to pass from Brick into Toms River (and then continue to Seaside Heights Boardwalk)
........that road is called Hooper Ave. Fridays from 4pm until 6pm are ok Oct. thru March but it is always clogged from April - September.
The cause is the visitors coming down to enjoy the BENNYfits without paying the local property taxes.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

It is finally a warm NJ weekend and I am stuck in traffic. The visitors are here.
There is one roadway (Hooper Ave) that allows people to pass from Brick into Toms River (and then continue to Seaside Heights Boardwalk)
........that road is called Hooper Ave. Fridays from 4pm until 6pm are ok Oct. thru March but it is always clogged from April - September.
The cause is the visitors coming down to enjoy the BENNYfits without paying the local property taxes.

Yes...spent lots of time waiting in traffic on Hooper Ave...and then on to Fischer Blvd, before making our way to 37.

Smiley/OCD

My DW works in Brick and to get home, she travels on Hooper...from Drum Pt. Rd. to Church Rd. it's always bumper to bumper between 3 and 6 pm EVERYDAY

macefamily

A few years ago while driving to the condo we stay at in Kissimmee, I had to rub my eyes because along 192 I saw a Wawa !!!! When did Wawa move south of Delaware ? Anyway, since two of my kids went to Temple University, they always want to get their morning coffee from there and get an occasional hoagie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom