Jedi Training Academy to close to reopen later this year as 'Jedi Training - Trials of the Temple'

J. D.

Sorry for the thread bump, but I just wanted to let everyone know that a retooled version of Jedi Training began today. Gone is the Seventh Sister and now Kylo Ren is the secondary villain for kids to face. The script has also been rewritten and seems to flow better now, in my opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry for the thread bump, but I just wanted to let everyone know that a retooled version of Jedi Training began today. Gone is the Seventh Sister and now Kylo Ren is the secondary villain for kids to face. The script has also been rewritten and seems to flow better now, in my opinion.

Kinda makes sense since The Seventh Sister hasn't been part of the SWRebels plotline for awhile now.

FoodRockz

Who's with Darth Moody-pants now?

21stamps

This is wonderful news!!! My kid had no idea who the Seventh Sister was.

21stamps

And? Kids have never seen the Song of the South, doesn't stop Splash Mountain from being popular.

That's extremely different than fighting Darth Vader and/or Kylo Ren. Poll 20 kids.. they'll probably give you a strange look and not understand the comparison at all.

One is a ride, the other is an absolute dream come true.
If you don't have children, try to channel your inner 4-10 year old. Then you'll understand.

glvsav37

And? Kids have never seen the Song of the South, doesn't stop Splash Mountain from being popular.

thats because to most kids, the SM story is just a bunny rabbit bouncing around, and then getting caught just before we all go down a big hill and get wet.

But at Jedi, when you are split into 2 groups and have hopes of fighting the greatest movie villain of all time (In your world) but then you get put in the group that gets to fight some odd vader-lady rip off its a bit of a let down.

Splash Mtn is a sit down and ride, jedi is being involved in the actual show....2 completely different experiences and really don't have a place in the conversation.

Frank the Tank

That's extremely different than fighting Darth Vader and/or Kylo Ren. Poll 20 kids.. they'll probably give you a strange look and not understand the comparison at all.

One is a ride, the other is an absolute dream come true.
If you don't have children, try to channel your inner 4-10 year old. Then you'll understand.

Exactly. We did the rope drop sprint to sign up for the Jedi Training this past summer and my 7-year old son would have been *extremely* disappointed if he had ended up fighting the Seventh Sister (who he had only cursory knowledge of) instead of Darth Vader. A great ride can be a great ride regardless of the IP or characters being used, but the hook for the Jedi Training is about being able to have a lightsaber battle with Darth Vader (and now Kylo Ren) *specifically* (not just random bad guys from the Star Wars Universe). I'm sure that there are some kids out there that actually know Star Wars Rebels better than the original trilogy, but that's likely a small minority compared to the overall target audience for Jedi Training.

Remember that this isn't a FastPass attraction or show, either. You've got to actively sprint (literally) at rope drop to sign up for the Jedi Training in order to secure a spot and I can imagine that there were quite a few guest complaints when people ended up fighting the Seventh Sister as opposed to Darth Vader. (Note that the Disney World commercials from my recollection very much imply that this is an opportunity to fight against Vader specifically). In contrast, fighting Kylo Ren is going to be an acceptable alternative to Vader for the average fan or even the preference for many young fans. I'm very happy to see this change.

Matt_Black

Well, kids should learn they don't always get what they want.

And seriously, THIS board sometimes. It's always "Where are the more obscure characters? Why don't they bring them out?" And then Disney does that, and then it's "Well, who the heck is that? I want the big name characters!"

21stamps

Exactly. We did the rope drop sprint to sign up for the Jedi Training this past summer and my 7-year old son would have been *extremely* disappointed if he had ended up fighting the Seventh Sister (who he had only cursory knowledge of) instead of Darth Vader. A great ride can be a great ride regardless of the IP or characters being used, but the hook for the Jedi Training is about being able to have a lightsaber battle with Darth Vader (and now Kylo Ren) *specifically* (not just random bad guys from the Star Wars Universe). I'm sure that there are some kids out there that actually know Star Wars Rebels better than the original trilogy, but that's likely a small minority compared to the overall target audience for Jedi Training.

Remember that this isn't a FastPass attraction or show, either. You've got to actively sprint (literally) at rope drop to sign up for the Jedi Training in order to secure a spot and I can imagine that there were quite a few guest complaints when people ended up fighting the Seventh Sister as opposed to Darth Vader. (Note that the Disney World commercials from my recollection very much imply that this is an opportunity to fight against Vader specifically). In contrast, fighting Kylo Ren is going to be an acceptable alternative to Vader for the average fan or even the preference for many young fans. I'm very happy to see this change.

My 6 year old, at the time, was one of the unlucky ones who fought the Seventh Sister. He still enjoyed it, and was thrilled that he used the force on Kylo Ren later on in the show.
But afterwards he said "Can we do this again next time? Maybe I'll get picked to fight Darth Vader in that training. Wouldn't that be SO AWESOME?!"

And seriously, THIS board sometimes. It's always "Where are the more obscure characters? Why don't they bring them out?" And then Disney does that, and then it's "Well, who the heck is that? I want the big name characters!"

I don't think any 6 or 7 year old has ever said that. That's what you're missing. We're talking about the kids, the ones who absolutely love Star Wars, not the Disney crazed adults complaining about every decision that Disney makes.

Biff215

Not sure anyone asks for "obscure" characters, "rare" maybe, but that doesn't really apply here anyway. This isn't a meet and greet, it's a chance to become a Jedi and battle villains. While it was plenty cool before, this is certainly a big upgrade IMO.

And it's not about kids getting what they want, but it should be about giving guests the best possible experience. Kudos to Disney on making this change.

We got rained out in August when we tried this for the first time, but they still allowed the kids to walk over to ST in the robes and then meet Vader inside the wheelchair entrance. It was disappointing yet out of their control, but they still made the most of it. Can't wait to try it again in the future.

michael.fumc

So........ what is the future of this once Galaxy Edge opens, I remember the rumor of it moving to Sounds Dangerous, but that seems out of the way. I hope they keep it or something like it

Biff215

So........ what is the future of this once Galaxy Edge opens, I remember the rumor of it moving to Sounds Dangerous, but that seems out of the way. I hope they keep it or something like it
I'd be shocked if they didn't have something like this built into the new land, hopefully with even better capacity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom