Jealousy Of The Deluxe Resorters...

Fox&Hound

We've stayed at various places with Disney: Wilderness, Pop, Port Orleans, Bay Lake. I enjoy Pop and enjoy their amenities but I will say that the one thing that I get tired of by the end of the trip with the moderate resorts: buses. By the end of my trip, I wish I was staying at Bay Lake where I could walk back from Magic Kingdom or hop on the monorail for a quick jaunt home. But, if I'm at Disney, I'm happy =)

JerseyDad

....to some ...the resort, "IS" the vacation.

....to me, it's difficult to apply that logic when at WDW. Disney makes the deluxe resorts "luxurious" ...when comparing them to the moderates and the values......but ...when comparing them to independent hotel chains and what they offer (in the "deluxe" range) ....they fall seriously short of the mark.

....I've been to WDW with a 'hoard" of people that stayed at POP with us. They're the kind of people that could have an audience with the Pope ...but if the hotel wasn't to their standards ...the experience was a bust. They whined like you wouldn't believe, with comments like, "Wow ...this is a real 'cheapo' place" ...

....of course ..on another trip ..their whole entourage stayed at the Wyndham in DtD ...in suites. They loved the hotel (probably because they got the rooms for ...free ...due to a business associate connection) ...but they were late for every meetup with us or dinner reservation ...and then again ...whined that they didn't have 'Disney perks'.

.....for the 'perks' ...a value is fine for me ....because I'm not looking forward to a mint on my pillow and a cushy robe. Even if the room was my priority item ....I cannot ...for any reason ...justify paying the WDW deluxe rates ...even with a 30% discount.

horizons82

JerseyDad makes a really valid point. I think those staying on property simply need to evaluate what thier needs and budget are and what they are looking to get out of the hotel during their WDW stay.

If you are fussy about the quality of the hotel regardless of how much you'll be in your room, I'd say book a deluxe. Or, if the ease of monorail access into the MK and/or Epcot is of extreme importance, I'd say to go with those on the monorail line.

If your trip is all about the parks and you just need a bed to sleep on, or if budget is of most importance, I'd say go for the value resorts.

If your needs are in the middle where you might want to spend some time at the hotel and use some amenities like the pool and such and the budget allows for it, I'd say go with the moderates.

However, I will also say that if the perks of staying at an on-site resort are of no importance, and if you don't mind extra time getting to the parks, there are off-site hotels that do offer better value. For what you pay for an on-site value resort you could get something that is closer to a moderate off-site. For what you pay for an on-site moderate resort you could get something that is closer to a deluxe resort off-site and so on...

For me, I've just always dreamed of the novelty of staying in a hotel on the monorail line and I've always loved the iconic-looking, monorail-going-through awesomeness that is the Contemporary, and I'm excited about a one-time splurge to stay there.

ParkMan73

I think about the price a bit differently than often gets discussed.

To to WDW, we pay for lots of different things - room, airfare, admission, food, and souvenirs. Put together that's the price of my "Disney Vacation".

The different in the price of that vacation between a Deluxe and a Value might be 30% - maybe more - maybe less. At the end of the day, I need to decide if my deluxe vacation is worth the extra cost. There have been times that I've said - yes, it's worth it. There are times that I've said - nope, its not.

With Disney, I've learned not to look too closely at the individual costs. If they do, it will drive me nuts. $500 a night for a deluxe is crazy, but then again, so is $160 for a value. For that matter $80 for a counter service lunch and $200 for a sit down dinner for my family of 5 is pretty crazy too. So, I just figure out the big budget, decide what works for us, put the money aside and away I go.

morningstar

I think about the price a bit differently than often gets discussed.

To to WDW, we pay for lots of different things - room, airfare, admission, food, and souvenirs. Put together that's the price of my "Disney Vacation".

The different in the price of that vacation between a Deluxe and a Value might be 30% - maybe more - maybe less. At the end of the day, I need to decide if my deluxe vacation is worth the extra cost. There have been times that I've said - yes, it's worth it. There are times that I've said - nope, its not.

With Disney, I've learned not to look too closely at the individual costs. If they do, it will drive me nuts. $500 a night for a deluxe is crazy, but then again, so is $160 for a value. For that matter $80 for a counter service lunch and $200 for a sit down dinner for my family of 5 is pretty crazy too. So, I just figure out the big budget, decide what works for us, put the money aside and away I go.

That seems to be the crux of the deluxe resorter rationalization - or logic depending on your perspective. "Well, we're already spending thousands, what's a couple thousand more?" Seems to be an easier rationalization for a family than a couple, since you are already spending a lot more for airfare, tickets, and food.

If you're spending $120 a day for tickets (two 5-day passes), it seems crazy to spend $400 a night for a hotel, when you will be spending less than 25% of your waking hours there. It still seems wrong to me even if you are spending $300 a day on tickets for a family of 5. Only if you're spending more than 50% of your day at the hotel AND have a family of 4 or more does it start to make sense.

If you can spend 50% of the day at the hotel, and still feel like you've seen what you want to at the parks, I guess you're taking a two-week Disney vacation, either that or you go often and don't need to see everything. Either way, that makes me jealous of both your money and your time.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
If you can spend 50% of the day at the hotel, and still feel like you've seen what you want to at the parks, I guess you're taking a two-week Disney vacation, either that or you go often and don't need to see everything. Either way, that makes me jealous of both your money and your time.

Some times I pick where I stay not on the how much I send at the hotel, but the location of the hotel. We are going to Walt Disney World in April for the Flower Festival and will be staying at Boardwalk. Easy walk to Epcot. In the spring we are going to do a Disney race so we want to stay at Bay Lake Towers so we can use the monorail to get to and from the race. So for many it may not be the quality of the hotel, but like buying a house; there are three important things - location, location, location.

MOUSEGIRL

Some times I pick where I stay not on the how much I send at the hotel, but the location of the hotel. We are going to Walt Disney World in April for the Flower Festival and will be staying at Boardwalk. Easy walk to Epcot. In the spring we are going to do a Disney race so we want to stay at Bay Lake Towers so we can use the monorail to get to and from the race. So for many it may not be the quality of the hotel, but like buying a house; there are three important things - location, location, location.

Location is the main reason we stay in deluxe monorail resorts.I think we get more down time this way if it only takes me 7 minutes or less to get to MK walking and takes a person staying in a moderate or value an hour or more including waiting on the bus who wins??if we want to leave midday for a break and get back in just a few short minutes I get a nap a quick shower and head back to the parks. Yes We have to take a bus to HS and AK but at least we are not waiting to go to every park. Plus when leaving AK or HS I can take the bus for any of the monorail resorts( the one that comes first) hop on then hop on monorail and I am home.

DiSnEyF@n

Yeah, that's right, I said it. I am jealous. I totally wish I had the cash for it. My life long dream has been to stay at the Grand Floridian. Maybe one day...in the very distant future. For now, all I can afford is a moderate hotel. I am thinking Port Orleans Riverside.

POR looks to be the nicest looking, in my opinion. It has the charm I am looking for, for sure. Only... It is so darn enormous! I'll have to rent a bike to get to the bus stop. (and I heard the bus system is atrocious) (Confirm/Deny). I would much rather take the monorail.

All you Deluxers... You've got it good. ;)

Disclaimer: This is not really a rant more than a tease. I have a weird sense of humor that burdens me and I hate that I have to explain myself most of the time but in order for people not to think I'm an A**, it is a must. =D Carry on.

We've been staying at the Swan & Dolphin for years now... It has everything the deluxe hotels have and the prices are great! Look into it... The only thing is that you don't get DME and you can't use your room key to buy stuff in the parks. The resort is beautiful and you won't be disappointed :)

DiSnEyF@n

Exactly, I find that people who just use the room to sleep and shower in, don't need or want more than a value.
For me though, I want someplace where I can rent a cabana and have some drinks while I'm lying on a lounger, or have the ability to walk to World Showcase for a Grand Marnier slush:D
And I don't think there's anything wrong with either of us!

Where do I get this Grand Marnier Slush drink??????????????????????????????????????? lol :)

stalkingmickey

Where do I get this Grand Marnier Slush drink??????????????????????????????????????? lol :)

France the one on the left is the Grand Marnier on right grey goose lemon
France!!!!
104.jpg

stalkingmickey

I have to say I have only stay at 1 moderate CBR and hated it. Our next were at deluxe resorts club level.....Hi my name is Michelle and I am a club level deluxe resort snob:greedy:....however our next trip is Sept will not be club level and I am not sure how I will like that. Love all the snacks I can pick on throughout my day. I will be at YC but still trying to convince DH to go club again.;)

38053WDW

Try David's Disney Vacation Points.

We've stayed at all three .. Had a terrible experience at POP (found a pill on the floor.. always, always check your rooms if you have small ones) .. Love Riverside/Port Orleans.. so quiet ... WL was just amazing to me.. That place is so nice .... Always wanted to stay at Contemp since I was a kid riding the monorail through it.. Finally did and we now try to always stay there.. location :) ... We booked through Davids last year for this October on DVC because the size of a group. Don't even ask the price .... Are we insane / crazy / loony ? Probably, but like others we save for this "Deluxe" vacation so we can do it about every 5 years with our kids/family/friends... (I have a friend who goes to Canada to hunt Elk and think .. that's nuts to pay that, but it is what he loves to do) We both work hard and this is what we all like to do .. Could we stay at the Ritz-Carlton in NYC for a week at this price .. sure but that's not us. To each his own .. and as you see by the Trip Reports (People/Rooms and price they can offer) Disney is not losing out... Supply & Demand ..If you build it they will come! Wait till Poly DVC finishes .. those Grand Villas on the water will be sold out forever but what a view to sit on your back deck watching Wishes nightly but I already know I could not afford staying there unless someone wants to gift me their DVC in their will :) - Hug your kids everyone, and thank you Walt for believing in your Dream !

CheshireCat12

Looking forward to my first deluxe stay. We have BC booked for this year. I chose it because of the location and because I want to slow down and enjoy the resort a lot more. We are hopping but staying in the parks a lot less. For me, it is a chance to do my favorite things at WDW but to relax more and live the "high life" a little.

Poofiesdream

Because my daughter in law works at Disney she got us a great rate on AKL club level. Even with the discount I do not think it was worth the money. Yah seeing the animals while on the balcony was nice but the animals are only out early morning and late night. I was not happy with the food at the food court either. I will stay at Pop or POFQ for now on and then be able to afford multi visits! I go 3 or 4 times a year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom