Japan tarps and walls - forever!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I ask.. again...

Why is Japan under tarps and refurbishment walls?

I mean, it's obvious the place needs refurbishment. However, the pavilion has been behind tarps for what is now nearing a year.

I have images dated back in May 2006 when they "unveiled" the highest southeast tower with the new paintjob and that's still all that is done. That alone took months and months of work. (I was already refering to the work as me "nemesis" because it was seemingly long and drawn out without a point and elusive.)

So they have been working on this building for heaven knows how long...

They've gone and hung these big hempy-twine (raffia?) braided decorations in the gateways that lead into the back of the pavilion. Those are new and interesting looking.

Otherwise, the one tower is all that is done, the opposing tower has not been touched and is still untarped. The rest of the building inbetween them is all covered in tarps though. That's been that way for a while (and might stay that way forever at this rate) and then the Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki is scheduled to close for Jan 15-May 25.

If they close the restaurant on the second floor, wont they also close the shop underneath? It's a definate possibility. There's nothing structural that wouldn't allow them to block off the windows of the restaurant and keep it operating if they were jsut redoin the fascade... so it must be replacing major elements.

What on earth would people go into the pavilion for during those 4.5 months?

It's been a year.. what are they doing? It had better be worth it.

Rob562

I'm thinking that it's either:

a) a schedule and refurbishment dictated by the pavilion's sponsor, Mitsukoshi. If they hold the purse strings, they can probably say what the refurbishment entails.

b) they found major wood-rot/termite damage that requires very extensive replacement and reconstruction. How long has the building by the Pan bathrooms been under tarps? Termites and/or wood-rot has been given as the reason for that refurb...

(Though it does beg the question, why haven't they put up one of those great realistic photo tarps like on Pan, Main St. Railroad and Center Street East?

-Rob

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Two notes..

a) They seem to be looking at replacing the wood and faux-wood on the Mitsukoshi itself. The steps were faux woodgrained origianlly and that has almost completely worn off. There is one step that is newer looking as if they tried to see if they could just refinish them - and it looks poor. There rest of the woodwork, including railings, is wobbly and unsturdy at this point. It needs replacing. One side of the second floor is littered with screws from the construction that have bounced down unnoticed.

b) Peaking out from behind the tarps are some pulley systems. They're obviously lifting some fairly heavy objects up into the air. What? Who knows... I'm hoping it's something worthwhile. But there's a few pulleys to be found along the back side. Maybe it's just for paint buckets and such on the scaffolding, but I don't ever recall seeing pulley systems at WDW on scaffoldings before.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Perhaps it`s the center point of Epcots 25th - Meet the World, Mt Fuji and The Bullet Train all in one :D

(or maybe not)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Perhaps it`s the center point of Epcots 25th - Meet the World, Mt Fuji and The Bullet Train all in one :D

(or maybe not)

If it's not done by Epcot's 25th, there will be one loud and angry merf at Guest Relations. I have photographic evidence that its ben taking entirely too long :)

Did Knee

Is there any possibility at all that they are secretly installing a ride system of some sort into the unused ride building?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Two notes..

a) They seem to be looking at replacing the wood and faux-wood on the Mitsukoshi itself. The steps were faux woodgrained origianlly and that has almost completely worn off. There is one step that is newer looking as if they tried to see if they could just refinish them - and it looks poor. There rest of the woodwork, including railings, is wobbly and unsturdy at this point. It needs replacing. One side of the second floor is littered with screws from the construction that have bounced down unnoticed.

b) Peaking out from behind the tarps are some pulley systems. They're obviously lifting some fairly heavy objects up into the air. What? Who knows... I'm hoping it's something worthwhile. But there's a few pulleys to be found along the back side. Maybe it's just for paint buckets and such on the scaffolding, but I don't ever recall seeing pulley systems at WDW on scaffoldings before.

Pictures...do we have any yet?

Epcot82Guy

Anythings possible but I`m sure we`d have heard some sort of leak by now.

I agree. I'd sooner think that if this is attraction-related that this is merely prep work for the facade (like DL's HM). I highly doubt anything has gone on construction-wise without some heads turning.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
japan_copy.jpg

juan

sorry to burst some bubbles but right now it's only show-building refurbishment

one part of a pagoda roof was sitting on the ground behind morroco and it looked like they were retiling it and thing similar to this was going on all summer

the un-used building as some people think is a storage place and a big engineering shop for most of epcot --- it is still in use during this time, so no rides are being built

i wish something was going on but sadly no

Original19

Anythings possible but I`m sure we`d have heard some sort of leak by now.

...even under the new, tight lipped, ultra secretive managment stylings of EdCatmull, John Lasseter and Bob Iger?

no-lookie-loos.jpg

I've heard Catmull is VERY concerned with the amount of confidential information turning up on the Web the very same day it's told to animators, imagineers, artists & executives.

And Lasseter is reportedly sick and tired of WDI's toxic atmosphere of corporate infighting & political gamesmanship. He too has found it difficult to know exactly who to trust.

Is it possible that some of the largest leaks are being ... plugged up (for the lack of a nicer way to put it)?

DisneyRoxMySox

Ok, we are going to need to start talking in code so our leaks don't get "plugged" up. :lookaroun

But seriously, more secrets aren't bad in my book. Lately I like where everything is going, so who knows, maybe a ride is going there. :D

Go ahead Corrus, prove me wrong. :( :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom