Trip Report It's Two, Two, TWO Trips in One! *COMPLETED*

Title reference for those of you younger than dirt ~

Got it? Good!

This trip report is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. This, as you may recognize, is a picture of me and my significant other.

IMG_7324.JPG

I invite you, if you dare, to follow along on a lengthy adventure that includes three resorts, lots of flowers, exotic food and a Fruber (a what?) Because this report travels directly to.........the Tuvalu Zone.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
@Tuvalu I have been wondering about ROL and the corralling of the herd toward the exit. Is there a way to go back toward Asia and just stroll through the park while it is closing? This is my goal. I don't want to end my stay feeling like cattle. I would even like to find a bench o_O and sit while everyone is heading out.
If you are in the Dinoland section, you are forced to head out into Dinoland.
If you are in the Asia (FP) section, you are forced to head back into Asia.
Having exited from both sections, one is not any better than the other. It is similar to exiting Fantasmic ~ crowded and slow.

Tony the Tigger

Our server took our drink order.

I tried the Zingiber Fizzie.
View attachment 209529
Sadly, I did not care for this AT ALL. Mom ended up drinking it. She was willing to swap me her iced tea except I am not a tea drinker :banghead:

Neither of us liked the bread. Our Tiffins experience was not starting out well.
View attachment 209528

But that would soon change.

The dining package includes an appetizer, entree and dessert. For my appetizer I chose the Heirloom Apple Walnut Salad.
View attachment 209530
I set up this shot before trying the salad. After one bite, I decided the salad was worthy of a picture all its own.

THIS WAS AHH MAY ZING!!!!!!
View attachment 209531
So light yet the flavors blended so perfectly together. I would return to Tiffins just for this!

Mom got the Charred Delta Asparagus.
View attachment 209532
This dish was delicious too!

Beef bolognese was the special of the day. Mom loves pasta so that's what she ordered.
View attachment 209533
This picture does not accurately represent the portion size. It was HUGE. Like you cooked up a whole pound of penne pasta huge.

Mom devoured the entire bowl. :jawdrop:

I had the Wagyu Strip Loin and Braised Short Rib.
View attachment 209534
The short rib (far right) was to die for. Tender, smokey, yumminess.

I wanted to love the Wagyu beef. I have read so many accolades of Wagyu that I expected to love it. Thought it would be the best steak I'd ever eaten.

It paled in comparison to my Cali Grill filet.
After a few bites I was done.
And now I know not to order Wagyu again.

Though Mom and I were pushing the limits of fullness, we felt an obligation to order the "included" dessert.
View attachment 209535

We both went with the Chocolate Ganache.
View attachment 209536
It was.....okay. Perhaps if we hadn't been so full we would have enjoyed it more. Neither of us came close to finishing it.

Throughout our dinner, Mom kept remarking about the "odd glowing bucket" she had seen brought to a few tables. "What in the world is it?" she wondered. "It's so strange looking. If one is brought to our table, I'm going to lose it!"

We did not get one.

We got two!
View attachment 209537
Mom could barely contain her laughter when our server brought them out. It wasn't until they were on our table that we figured out they were lotus blossom popcorn buckets. Em and I did not receive them with our Tusker House ROL dining package so I was surprised to see them part of our Tiffins package.

(Head's up......these buckets are a PIA to pack in a suitcase!)

So @Tony the Tigger and @Zipitidoda, how would I rate Tiffins?
Atmosphere A
Service B
Appetizers A+
Entree A+ for short rib/C for Strip loin = B+ overall for mine
A for Mom's Beef Bolognese (her rating)
Dessert C (and none of the other choices sounded good to us)

I would like to go back to Tiffins for lunch. I could still have the Heirloom Apple Walnut Salad and the short rib is a "pick two" option (think I'd be allowed to pick it twice? :cautious:) The cost would be less and I would be assured of receiving only foods I like. My palate tends to be a picky one!

I think that was a very fair rating! I love that you ordered everything I've never ordered, so now I don't have to :joyfull:. Was that fizzy drink non-alcoholic? (then I wouldn't have noticed it :p.) I don't remember much about the bread but I don't think it looked like what you got. (I'll have to check pics of my own trip reports LOL.)

I have never tried Wagyu beef, either. Makes me want even more to get my filet at Monsieur Paul (although I'm not sure it's the same as what's on the menu now? arrgh.)

No sugar free desserts there, so we skip that altogether. It's a rule.

I'm glad you didn't hate the whole thing! And omg the popcorn thingy!!:eek::inlove:

Those Tiffins pictures have me second guessing my plans for August. I've been going back and forth between Tiffins and Jiko. I'm currently leaning towards Jiko so I can wear nice clothes and shoes without trekking through half of Animal Kingdom, but those pictures are mighty tempting.

We are doing both in September. Been to Tiffins a few times and had a great experience every time (I like a more adventurous menu.) No need to dress up there. This will be our first time at Jiko.

My favourite dinner of the trip was at Tiffins! :inlove: The soup was to die for! I certainly agree that the popcorn buckets are a nightmare to pack though!! My niece now uses it as her "handbag" :rolleyes:

omg the lobster soup with the popcorn?!:hungry::inlove:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Was that fizzy drink non-alcoholic? (then I wouldn't have noticed it :p.) I don't remember much about the bread but I don't think it looked like what you got. (I'll have to check pics of my own trip reports LOL.)

I have never tried Wagyu beef, either. Makes me want even more to get my filet at Monsieur Paul (although I'm not sure it's the same as what's on the menu now? arrgh.)
Yes, the fizzy was non-alcoholic although there is a drink with the same ingredients plus gin. I am not a gin drinker so I opted for the non-alcoholic version. I chose it because I like each ingredient on its own ~ I just didn't like them mixed together. o_O
Wagyu is chewy and really doesn't have much flavor. It needed to be dipped in the sauce (which was good) but I couldn't get past the texture. Again, a personal preference thing.
Do you remember the name of Monsieur Paul before it became Monsieur Paul? I cannot remember and it's driving me crazy. Google was no help.

bee

Yes, the fizzy was non-alcoholic although there is a drink with the same ingredients plus gin. I am not a gin drinker so I opted for the non-alcoholic version. I chose it because I like each ingredient on its own ~ I just didn't like them mixed together. o_O
Wagyu is chewy and really doesn't have much flavor. It needed to be dipped in the sauce (which was good) but I couldn't get past the texture. Again, a personal preference thing.
Do you remember the name of Monsieur Paul before it became Monsieur Paul? I cannot remember and it's driving me crazy. Google was no help.
Bistro de Paris (according to Wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_Pavilion_at_Epcot

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, May 10

How many of you could do an 11-hour park touring day when temps are in the 90s ~ without taking a break? If so, could your parents do it? What about your grandparents?

I'm proud to say Mom did it! (Although I would have preferred to take a break between our park-hopping....it was a perfect day for the pool....but Mom was adamant we keep going.)

After cereal and cawfee in the room, we arrived at the bus stop to find chaos. Again.
IMG_7135.JPG

There were 8....count 'em 8....MK buses (and 7 of them were the larger bendy buses) that came before our DHS bus. At one point there were 4 MK buses stacked in a row! Meanwhile our queue and the Epcot queue overflowed into a merged sea of people. It was ridiculous. Some of the MK buses left empty. Why couldn't those buses been repurposed for DHS or Epcot? :banghead:

When we finally got to the Studios, I decided to walk the red carpet. And I did so with a flourish. I'm a celebrity after all.....even though the emcee mistakenly announced me as "Shirley MacLaine."
IMG_7136.JPG

Mom requested Great Movie Ride first. She wasn't too happy that the Star Wars stage partially blocked the view of the Chinese Theater....
IMG_7137.JPG

....especially since she thought the removal of the BAH would restore the iconic view.
IMG_1355.JPG

(Taken during our last mother-daughter trip in February 2015)

dmatt87

Wednesday, May 10

How many of you could do an 11-hour park touring day when temps are in the 90s ~ without taking a break? If so, could your parents do it? What about your grandparents?

I'm proud to say Mom did it! (Although I would have preferred to take a break between our park-hopping....it was a perfect day for the pool....but Mom was adamant we keep going.)

After cereal and cawfee in the room, we arrived at the bus stop to find chaos. Again.
View attachment 209706
There were 8....count 'em 8....MK buses (and 7 of them were the larger bendy buses) that came before our DHS bus. At one point there were 4 MK buses stacked in a row! Meanwhile our queue and the Epcot queue overflowed into a merged sea of people. It was ridiculous. Some of the MK buses left empty. Why couldn't those buses been repurposed for DHS or Epcot? :banghead:

When we finally got to the Studios, I decided to walk the red carpet. And I did so with a flourish. I'm a celebrity after all.....even though the emcee mistakenly announced me as "Shirley MacLaine."
View attachment 209708

Mom requested Great Movie Ride first. She wasn't too happy that the Star Wars stage partially blocked the view of the Chinese Theater....
View attachment 209711

....especially since she thought the removal of the BAH would restore the iconic view.
View attachment 209715
I really miss the hat - I thought it was a great symbol and it my there when we honeymooned in 2011 :(

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
IMG_7138.JPG

Mom had not been on GMR since TCM became the sponsor. It's a good thing we went on it today, since it may be gone by Mom's next visit. :(

IMG_7140.JPG

Anyone? :D

IMG_7139.JPG

We climbed aboard our ride vehicle and sat there for a few minutes waiting for the opening music to start. It didn't...but then several CMs appeared and began calling out to guests to "act" while in the car. "Stand up and look surprised!" "You've received bad news...cry!" "Smile like you've never smiled before!"

It was awkward. I'll bet there were technical difficulties and the CMs were there to distract us from the excessive delay.
IMG_7141.JPG

The music eventually began and when the show was over Mom said, "That was the BEST movie ride ever!!" It was the first time she had ever sat on the far left side and she noticed lots of details she had not seen before. She was especially taken with the old west set.

IMG_7142.JPG

I may have walked the red carpet, but it was Mom who had her handprints made!
IMG_7143.JPG

BuddyThomas

View attachment 209726

Mom had not been on GMR since TCM became the sponsor. It's a good thing we went on it today, since it may be gone by Mom's next visit. :(

View attachment 209729
Anyone? :D

View attachment 209727

We climbed aboard our ride vehicle and sat there for a few minutes waiting for the opening music to start. It didn't...but then several CMs appeared and began calling out to guests to "act" while in the car. "Stand up and look surprised!" "You've received bad news...cry!" "Smile like you've never smiled before!"

It was awkward. I'll bet there were technical difficulties and the CMs were there to distract us from the excessive delay.
View attachment 209730

The music eventually began and when the show was over Mom said, "That was the BEST movie ride ever!!" It was the first time she had ever sat on the far left side and she noticed lots of details she had not seen before. She was especially taken with the old west set.

View attachment 209731

I may have walked the red carpet, but it was Mom who had her handprints made!
View attachment 209732
You look great! And these pictures are incredible. ;)

fractal

Wednesday, May 10

View attachment 209706

View attachment 209708

View attachment 209711

View attachment 209715

You mean "code name" Shirley MacLaine; as the rest of the CM scramble to clear the park for you. :D

93boomer

Premium Member
Warning ~ The following pictures may make you hungry. Especially if you are reading this before breakfast.

View attachment 207551

View attachment 207550

View attachment 207553

View attachment 207552

View attachment 207549

View attachment 207554

Yeah, this buffet is the reason we didn't need to open the menu. :hungry:

View attachment 207555

Unfortunately the buffet is currently on hiatus as Captain's Grille undergoes a major refurbishment. But if you are traveling to the world in 2018, you may want to consider a CG buffet breakfast.

In the meantime, Captain's Grille has been temporarily relocated (with a limited menu) here ~
View attachment 207557

View attachment 207558

View attachment 207559
Ariel's is a former table service restaurant located in the Beach Club. It's used for private functions.

Our server was personable and experienced, having worked at Captain's Grille for 10 years. He visited our table frequently to chat and we enjoyed conversing with him.

We left stuffed. I remarked to Woody that I'd eaten like our kitty Kona, who frequently gorges himself with food....only to gag it up later. "I'll throw up in Epcot for you," chuckled Woody.
Wow!! That food looks awesome!! Sorry I am trying to catch up and had to comment mid-reading.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom