Its Official: NO summer or alumni program this year

Magicmyway

I just am going to be in self-pity and apply for another full program...so sad (Not that I hate it, I just want school done!!!)

LongballMG

I've been crushed for the last day and a half. No motivation to do anything. What is this backup plan?

We should mobilize and mail the company letters.

~Mike

Tropicsky1

There is one other option

I know you all are frustrated. A couple of years ago I wanted to go down in December to work and stay in Disney CP Housing (they used to let you do that) but they didn't offer it (probably for the same reasons that they aren't offering the summer program -- not enough room in housing). Anyway, for those of you interested in working at Disney, there are other options:

Some apartments have month-to-month leases (or a 3 month lease) that you could rent. Another is to rent out a house (I have a few friends who are currently doing that). I am not an expert on how to find these - your best bet would probably to just call different apt complexes (some even come furnished) or go to craigslist. Either way, I'm sure you would need to room with someone (I know firsthand that it is tough to pay rent in Orlando on a Disney salary!) If you find one of these places to live over the summer, you can work seasonally. Which, in my opinion, is better than the CP. You get to work the days you want by giving them your availability (don't want to work weekends? Just tell them you're only available for Mon-Fri) and I think you even get paid more (not sure on that though).

Good luck to you all! I'm working with Disney now and the summer is a lot of fun!

joanna71985

I just am going to be in self-pity and apply for another full program...so sad (Not that I hate it, I just want school done!!!)

I would do that, but I have done 2 CPs already and I can't afford to miss anymore school (aka I would LOVE to do another one but my school wouldn't let me :( ). So summer right now is my only option. And I have friends in FL who live right behind the MK who said I could stay with them, and I will be.

Scar Junior

Hey! I already posted this....

Well, "Official" word from the higher-ups is that there will NOT be a summer program in 2007. Both alumni and new hires will have to make an attempt at being seasonal or join the Fall Advantage program if they want to work this summer.

Sorry to those of you whose dreams are now crushed.

But the good news is that you guys can do the Fall program with me and Bellewannabe77. Were going to have our own clique and make matching t-shirts!

Mecha Figment

This may also have something to do with the major restructuring of the College program that I have been told about. Things like they are going to make it a lot harder for people to get in. They have gotten tired of loosing about 40 % of the workers before teh program ends. Poor investment. The housing is also an issue.

joanna71985

This may also have something to do with the major restructuring of the College program that I have been told about. Things like they are going to make it a lot harder for people to get in. They have gotten tired of loosing about 40 % of the workers before teh program ends. Poor investment. The housing is also an issue.

What kind of restructuring?

MMP

I really don't see a major revamp in the college program coming anytime soon. Not with the Career Start program which really just served to make it even easier to be on the college program. Disney realizes they're desperate and I don't see them making it harder to get able bodies.

Scar Junior

I really don't see a major revamp in the college program coming anytime soon. Not with the Career Start program which really just served to make it even easier to be on the college program. Disney realizes they're desperate and I don't see them making it harder to get able bodies.

Well, I can't say much because I know a lot about what's going on. :zipit:

But yes, there is a major restructuring but it's not going to be taking place for a while. There will be many changes - both small and large - but right now we are starting to see some of the small changes. These small changes are meant to be temporary, but (knowing Disney) will probably stay. These changes are part of their short-term planning.

The plan is no where near complete. They are still deciding what to do with many issues. It's a lot more complex than Mecha Figment is saying. I really like most of Mecha's posts, but this one simplifies things too much and the "40%" is wrong.

Career Start (CS) has little-to-nothing to do with the CP. I know the head of Career Start and help him recruit. This program is going to take off. People give Career Start participants a bad wrap... and yeah there are crappy "CS" participants, but there are bad CPs, frontline CMs and managers as well. I've seen and heard a lot of success stories about CS in how people have improved their life a lot just by spending some time being trained by Disney. Some people can't afford college and some good-spirited people aren't smart enough or interested in going to college.

MMP

I didn't mean to insinuate the the career start program is lesser than the college program, it's just that to me it seems like a good way for Disney to still get plenty of willing participants with relaxed requirements, the college program has been getting easier and easier to get into over the past few years and I really don't believe that they'll take it back in the other direction as long as Disney needs the labor force as bad as they do.

Scar Junior

Yes and no. I apologize for the miscommunication.

But you are right in that it has been easier and easier to get into the CP. The quantity and quality of the CPs are way down over the past three years. This semester there is 61.66% as many CPs as four years ago!!! How sad is that. They are using international and CS participants to float some of the responsibility/budget.** see edit** As well as (the obvious) lesser qualified CPs.

However the answer to this is unique. In order to improve numbers and quality they have decided to do the right thing. Pay has been raised and - unofficially :lookaroun - it will be raised at least once more within the next year - two years. Other benefits and educational opportunities are being considered. Some of them would be great for those who would like to move up in the company.

Disney is improving the program, as well as looking at some dynamic ways of promoting it nationally and internationally. I wish I could disclose some of the possible ways they might promote the program because some are very exciting... especially if you like ABC and the Disney Channel :lookaroun.

By significantly improving and promoting the Program (as well as Career Start - which is taking off) and the International Program (which I have less info on) they are able to demand higher quantity (and thus quality) applicants and participants. Let's just say that as the decisions are made, nothing is safe and some participants from the late 90s may hardly recognize what the program could possibly look like within the next several years.

I, for one, am excited! :D

**Edit: I don't mean to imply that International Program participants are any less than CPs. Infact, in most cases it is quite the contrary. International Applicants are more rigorously selected and better/ more professionally prepared for the interview. CPs rarely dress in business attire with resumes in-hand. Although it should be noted that much of this is Disney's fault for promoting the e-presentation so much, as well as telephone interviews. IMO, you need to see the person you are considering for a frontline Disney position.

MMP

The only problem I see with the International College Program as compared to the International Program over at Epcot, is that they're looking for a quick solution to the labor problem. They get so many students for periods as short as 2 months which is really a waste of training and time. I also think they've gotten too lax on the English speaking requirements, some of the Brazilians hardly speak English and it's unfair to them and everyone else to stick them in such heavy guest contact jobs.

Scar Junior

The only problem I see with the International College Program as compared to the International Program over at Epcot, is that they're looking for a quick solution to the labor problem. They get so many students for periods as short as 2 months which is really a waste of training and time. I also think they've gotten too lax on the English speaking requirements, some of the Brazilians hardly speak English and it's unfair to them and everyone else to stick them in such heavy guest contact jobs.

I have heard this about a dozen times- though I haven't experienced it personally. I do know that they have reassigned many of the international recruiters within the past year. I'll ask my source after he gets back from Europe this Feb. about this issue and get back to you when I get the chance. Although, most people I have heard complaints from cite South American Internationals as those who have trouble speaking English...

However, on a personal note, I do like the female Brazillians they have hired recently. :animwink:

MMP

It's definetly the South American internationals that don't seem to speak a lick of English, I can't say I've ever had a problem with the regular international students from places like Norway or China. And now they're putting them in roles that weren't available to them before like character performer and character greeter and it's been a mess in my experiance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom