It's not the same if you haven't seen the movie!

MKCustodial

JeffH said:
their fullest.
As far to the SW tale being a timeless tale...I really doubt that the guy's mother read him stories of princesses when he was a little boy,

Hey, if you see it as a "princess story", I'm sorry, but it's actually a fairly known fairy tale, just like Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel or Sleeping Beauty. I'd suppose every one would've know the basic story in one form or another, be it from Disney, a children's book or even one of the thousands of spoofs done by other cartoons, for example. But you proved me wrong by saying that you only came to know Sleeping Beauty through Disney, so...

Now this:
JeffH said:
I, another guy, until the recent release of Sleeping Beauty, knew nothing of the story (thought I did, but I was wrong), and until I finally did see it, didn't realize the link between the dragon at the end of Fantasmic and the witch (that SHE turns into the dragon)...and that they share the same horns.

This is actually a case of knowing the movie. Fantasmic's characters were taken from the Disney movies, so yeah, you'd enjoy it more if you've seen them, or at least heard about them. But I'm pretty sure the regular version of Sleeping Beauty has no dragon. Disney adds tons of stuff to the tales when they turn them into movies. Peter Pan the play is very different from the Disney movie.

As for the rest of your comments, you may think I called you an idiot if you want, but I'm pretty sure I'd have used the word if I actually meant it. I was giving my opinions on what you said. Nothing more than that. Still, it's your opinion on my post, so let's leave it at that. :wave:

RedBaron

Snow White is a classic tale, as well as Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast etc. I dont think you need to watch the films to get it. My husband is not originally from this country and did not really get to see the movies as a child either. If I had told him that we are going to sit and watch Snow White, Peter Pan etc. before we go to WDW he would have said "I dont think so". By the way he understood the attractions just fine. You might want to be careful of overkill. Your friend may not be prepared to sit and watch too many films. I dont know if he is the one wanting to watch films before you go to WDW or not. All of us here on these boards are pretty special people in our love of Disney. Not everyone can relate. I was very disappointed when a friend took her family her family for the first time and said when she got back that it would be fine with her if she never went again.

polarboi

Original Poster
As I said, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. No need to fight about it! :)

And don't worry, I'm not going to overdo it. We're not going for several months, so I thought we'd watch 2 or 3 Disney flicks between now and our trip. We do movie nights on a regular basis, so it's not a big deal. He actually has seen a few Disney films (and even suggested a couple of his favorites for movie nights before), but he isn't as familiar with the classics that you see around the parks. (He knows The Rescuers and Robin Hood, but not The Little Mermaid or Snow White.)

And as I said, I totally agree that you don't have to see any movies in order to enjoy the parks. But I do think it's a lot more fun if you know who some of the major characters are. And my friend hates being "left out" of things; he doesn't want to be the only one who doesn't know the song when others are gleefully singing along!

Anyway, thanks again for all the suggestions; you all helped a lot! :)

-p.b.

ghostlyguitar

When I first went to WDW, I had seen maybe...three of the movies that had rides based off of them. Didn't stop me from having a blast though :) I think that it can help to have some sort of grasp on the characters for certain rides, but at the same time it's never a required thing. The rides are their own thing. They are an experience on their own.

BG Rugger said:
[/I], as in POTC anf the Haunted Mansion. This is simply due to the fact that doing that might take away from the enjoyment of the ride. POTC and Haunted Mansion are not the most modern of rides and aren't E-ticket attractions. What makes everybody love them is the nostalgia of knowing their history and knowing they were "Walt originals", and simply because they are just plainf fun!

Actually...both Pirates AND Haunted Mansion are E-Ticket rides, and only Pirates is a Walt Original. Walt died before construction on the actual Mansion ride, though the facade was up for years. Ahhh, but what can I say, I'm a nit-picker. :hammer:

Disney's rides are usually best experienced with some prior knowledge of the source material in the case of flim-based rides, but I would never consider it required. They're fun and the simple stories they tell are easily understood.

-Adam-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom