It's not the same if you haven't seen the movie!

polarboi

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. You guys have given me some good ideas about what he and I will see before our trip.

wdwmagic said:
I agree with MKCustodial, to me it is not at all neccessary to view any movies before the parks. They are all stand alone attractions. You dont want him to feel like he has to study for his vacation!

Oh, I know, but he's already expressed an interest in seeing a few of the Disney movies I grew up with, so I thought it would make the most sense to choose ones that would maximize his fun at the parks. After all, there is something fun about seeing a character walk by and saying, "Hey! It's _____!" I had my own ideas about which ones to watch, but I was curious to hear others' ideas.

But no, we're not going to watch a 2-hour movie just so he'll "get" a 2-minute dark ride. It's just that he wants to be better educated about all things Disney, so I thought, why not choose films that he'll get to re-experience during our vacation? :)

Disneyfan1981 wrote:
Watch a Disney planning video, despite the changing of format and hosts over the year its been enough to get me pumped up!

Really? I despise the WDTC planning video! I think the Travel Channel shows about WDW are a much better advertisement for the parks than the "official" videos are. I ordered one a couple of months ago, and I really didn't like the color schemes, the hosts, the way they presented the rides, or anything. It just seemed so un-Disney to me, if that makes any sense at all. It's very polished, but it feels to me more like something dreamed up by a travel agency than an imagineer (which, I guess, it is!)

-p.b.

bgraham34

I never really thought about all that but its probably true. Unless you dont really know Disney how can you truly relate and appreciate.

Disneyfan1981

polarboi said:
Really? I despise the WDTC planning video! I think the Travel Channel shows about WDW are a much better advertisement for the parks than the "official" videos are. I ordered one a couple of months ago, and I really didn't like the color schemes, the hosts, the way they presented the rides, or anything. It just seemed so un-Disney to me, if that makes any sense at all. It's very polished, but it feels to me more like something dreamed up by a travel agency than an imagineer (which, I guess, it is!)

While the Travel Video's hosts may leave a bad taste in certain viewer's mouths, the sights, messages and planning tips are helpful overall. Watching the celebration clips and intros to new rides is enough for me to get excited (it doesn't take much). And BTW, the planning videos were created by a travel agency, the Walt Disney Travel Company. I see what you mean though, while the Travel Channel does good work as does the Food Network. Right from the mouse is enough. :D

lebeau

bgraham34 said:
I never really thought about all that but its probably true. Unless you dont really know Disney how can you truly relate and appreciate.

I have to admit, I did not get into Disney really until after my most recent visit to WDW. In fact, if it hadn't been for the animation tour in MGM (which by the way still had live animators) I don't think I'd have gotten so interested in the history of Disney.

Too bad that tour (in that form anyway) is gone now...

JeffH

my take

Here's what I'd suggest and why
(*=somewhat critical for entire WDW experience)
MK:
*Peter Pan, to understand the ride and the Disney spirit throughout WDW
Snow White, to understand the ride
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, to understand the ride
*Toy Story, for Buzz Lightyear's backstory, and other Toy Story WDW references
*Lilo and Stitch, for Stitch Escape and other Stitch WDW references
Aladdin and Lion King, to get to know Iago and Zazu for Tiki Room (and Philharmagic)
Fantasmic focuses on probably to most important films: (Mickey's segment of) Fantasia, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Peter Pan, and Aladdin. If you see these (and maybe Toy Story, Nemo, Lilo and Stitch, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids), you'd be in pretty good shape.

EPCOT:
Finding Nemo, to fully appreciate Turtle Talk & other exhibits in the Living Seas
Honey I Shrunk the Kids, to understand the basis for the whole Imagination Pavilion (especially the movie)
The Lion King, to get to know the characters in the Circle of Life and others
MGM:
Star Wars IV, pretty critical for StarTours
Indiana Jones I, pretty critical for Indy Stunt Show
Little Mermaid. to fully understand the LM show
Beauty and the Beast, to fully understand the B&tB show
Honey I Shrunk the Kids, to understand the basis for the HISTK playyard
Toy Story (and Toy Story 2), to understand Pizza Planet and Al's Toy Barn
Fantasmic touches on many Disney memories, so would require many (Disney) references to fully appreciate the show...As does the Great Movie Ride
AK:
A Bugs Life, to get to know the characters in Tough to be a Bug movie
<!-- / message -->The Lion King, to appreciate the story behind the Festival of the Lion King
Tarzan, to understand the basis for the Tarzan show
Dinosaur, to understand the basis (and characters) for the Dinosaur ride
Pocahantas, to understand the characters for the show and other references (e.g.: @Conservation Station)<!-- sig -->

MKCustodial

You really think someone who's never seen Snow White won't understand Snow White's Adventures?

I basically disagree with you. Everything you suggested won't help a person understand the attractions, it'll only make them aware of where that attraction originated.

Now, granted, I'd appreciate Tarzan Rocks! a lot more now that I know the songs by heart, but when I saw it, I'd only seen Tarzan once and I enjoyed it just fine. You also mentioned Dinosaur. It worked fine for a long time using a different name (Countdown to Extinction) and I don't know why you think it wouldn't work now. Same thing with The Great Movie Ride. I haven't seen all those movies, but I've heard about them all. If you don't know anything about movies, than maybe that really isn't the attraction for you, but other than that...

col

you could try any with the princesses in as they feature alot around magic kingdom, epcot and MGM. honey i shrunk the kids,

HMGhost13

avoid Haunted Mansion movie like the plague. horrible, horrendous (sp?), awful, no good, very bad, icky icky ew ew, etc. if you wanna show "elements" then do it witout the sound and just show clips (ie-the eye wallpaper.......that's about it.)

ok enough about my distaste with HM movie...*ahem* just prep your friend on the disney animated movies, those are better than most for anything.

MKBurn15

Watch The Lion King and Aladdin because they're the best ones, not because of the stuff in the parks. If you want to see a movie to help understand a ride better, watch SONG OF THE SOUTH! It is Awesome!

S_Grise

polarboi said:
(You can get along fine without having seen The Black Cauldron, for instance, though I still miss Gurgi's Munchies & Crunchies!)
Not being a smart aleck, just wondering: Isn't it "Crunchins and Munchins"?

polarboi

Original Poster
It's Munchies & Crunchies!

S_Grise said:
Not being a smart aleck, just wondering: Isn't it "Crunchins and Munchins"?

Nope, it's definitely Gurgi's Munchies & Crunchies. Check out the Magic Kingdom brochure from 1988 on this page. (It's on pages 4-5.)

-p.b.

DisneyFreak529

I think you don't have to watch any of the Disney movies to have a fun trip. Disney isn't about movies, it's about getting that magical feeling when you go.

I say skip the movies and studie a guide so you can get the most out of your trip. Plain ahead, and go to the web site to see what fireworks and paradse are what days.

SKIP THE MOVIES, PLAIN FOR A GREAT TRIP!!

JeffH

by MKCustodialYou really think someone who's never seen Snow White won't understand Snow White's Adventures?

I basically disagree with you. Everything you suggested won't help a person understand the attractions, it'll only make them aware of where that attraction originated.

Now, granted, I'd appreciate Tarzan Rocks! a lot more now that I know the songs by heart, but when I saw it, I'd only seen Tarzan once and I enjoyed it just fine. You also mentioned Dinosaur. It worked fine for a long time using a different name (Countdown to Extinction) and I don't know why you think it wouldn't work now. Same thing with The Great Movie Ride. I haven't seen all those movies, but I've heard about them all. If you don't know anything about movies, than maybe that really isn't the attraction for you, but other than that...
Are you daft? You honestly think that someone who's never seen Snow White will understand the Snow White ride? Without the story behind it, the ride is just a bunch of nonsensical wooden cut-out scenes...
The 1st scene has SW looking like a poor servant, and the homeowner looking down at her goofing off...Of course she should be mad at this kid.
What's the mirror mean, who's it talking to, me?
Why does the homeowner's back look like an old woman?
Who is that bearded guy?
What's SW doing in the forest, dancing?
Who are these small men?
Why is SW living with them?
What happened to SW, is she allergic to apples (or old women)?
SW is dead, who is the sick guy kissing the dead girl?
Wait, she's alive? Did they go back in time or something?

Although some attractions, like Dinosaur, don't really need the movie, the movie gives it more meaning and can help you appreciate and understand the attraction to it's fullest...
Sure you can enjoy the attractions at WDW without any knowledge of the story, but kids also enjoy playing in a cardboard box.
I enjoyed Mr.Toad many times, but it never made any sense to me, and by the time the movie was released, the ride had been replaced.
<!-- / message -->

DisneyFreak529

You honestly think that someone who's never seen Snow White will understand the Snow White ride?

ARE YOUR DAFT!! Who hasn't heard of SNOW WHITE! Even if you haven't seen the movie I think you know what is it about!!

I think there talking about, POC, HM, C.Bears, and maybe the new cartoon movies in the past 4-5 years. Even then I don't think you have to have seen currenty movies to enjoy the magic of WDW or DL.

MKCustodial

JeffH said:
Are you daft?

No, I'm Roddy. And I don't appreciate your tone.

JeffH said:
You honestly think that someone who's never seen Snow White will understand the Snow White ride?

Yes, because Snow White wasn't created by Disney. It's a timeless tale, and I'm sure that even if the person in question has never seen one single Disney movie in his entire life, he probably was a child once, and probably heard bedtime stories or the like.

In any event, the original poster asked for opinions and I gave him mine, including what I thought of yours. It's my right to do so, and I don't think it's in your rights to call people names. :wave:

JeffH

You started it, Roddy...

I didn't very well appreciate your tone, either.
Your first line made ME out to be an idiot, your second line put down my whole post.
It's one thing to give your opinion, it's another thing to attack someone elses opinion and character.
If you bothered to look at the original post, it was clear that the person in question was "deprived", having never seen a Disney movie. And the poster was asking for what movies would provide the "ultimate enjoyment of the parks"
I merely was providing a comprehensive listing of all the movies that I could think of that would help someone appreciate and understand all the attractions to their fullest.
As far to the SW tale being a timeless tale...I really doubt that the guy's mother read him stories of princesses when he was a little boy, and having not seen Snow White, the attraction would have very little meaning than I described in my earlier post, just like Mr. Toad had little meaning for me.
I, another guy, until the recent release of Sleeping Beauty, knew nothing of the story (thought I did, but I was wrong), and until I finally did see it, didn't realize the link between the dragon at the end of Fantasmic and the witch (that SHE turns into the dragon)...and that they share the same horns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom