"It's not the 'Happiest Place on Earth!'" - or Disney misconceptions

Quentin Disney

Original Poster
For some reason, it really irritates me whenever someone says this. For the longest, many have acknowledged Disneyland as "The Happiest Place on Earth". However, many folks are now applying this to WDW. I my opinion, the original Disneyland is deserving of this title ONLY. It really gets my goat when people refer to WDW as that. I hope the "Where Magic Lives" campaign gets this slogan out of minds of people who incorrectly use this slogan.

Another thing misconception that bugs me is that most people believe WDW is in Orlando. While WDW property is very close to Orlando, people should know that it is in Lake Buena Vista. It's like saying that Disneyland is in Los Angeles. I almost never hear anyone say its in LA. Apparently, people are too lazy to say "Lake Buena Vista" now or days.

As a Disney Cast Member, I feel it's very important to refer to things correctly. Personally, I feel that refering to WDW in Orlando is misleading information and thus very ignorant. Many news publications do this as well and it really irritates me.

Just another little rant. I rarely speak out on these boards these days, but I'm in a posting groove right now. My writer's block has been bulldozed.

FLcastmember

Originally posted by Quentin Disney
For some reason, it really irritates me whenever someone says this. For the longest, many have acknowledged Disneyland as "The Happiest Place on Earth". However, many folks are now applying this to WDW. I my opinion, the original Disneyland is deserving of this title ONLY. It really gets my goat when people refer to WDW as that. I hope the "Where Magic Lives" campaign gets this slogan out of minds of people who incorrectly use this slogan.

Another thing misconception that bugs me is that most people believe WDW is in Orlando. While WDW property is very close to Orlando, people should know that it is in Lake Buena Vista. It's like saying that Disneyland is in Los Angeles. I almost never hear anyone say its in LA. Apparently, people are too lazy to say "Lake Buena Vista" now or days.

As a Disney Cast Member, I feel it's very important to refer to things correctly. Personally, I feel that refering to WDW in Orlando is misleading information and thus very ignorant. Many news publications do this as well and it really irritates me.

Just another little rant. I rarely speak out on these boards these days, but I'm in a posting groove right now. My writer's block has been bulldozed.

1. Ok, the WDW Resort is NOT in Lake Buena Vista, it is in the town of Reedy Creek.

2. The slogan for WDW was at one time, "The most magical place on earth'' slightly different but easy for some one to get it confused.

3. Trust me, NO one will use the ''Where Magic Lives'' after that ends. It just doesnt flow as well as the above mentioned.

There are a few other things people do that will never change, but don't let it bother you. People will always refer to the Magic Kindom as Disney World. Some will even call it DisneyLand. People will always call it EPCOT Center. They will always say just MGM and dont the Disney/MGM Studios. People will still call Downtown Disney ''The Village''. People will say wedway people mover, star jets, birthdayland/starland. ECT ECT ECT

Point is, get use to it, and really its not a big deal, I mean we still know what they are talking about anyway. Its not like when some one says that WDW is in Orlando, I get confused and think that they must be talking about the other Disney World??

Plus there are street signs in this area the will say things like...

Disney World next right.
Magic Kindom Second Right.

Some call it just Disney, others say Disney World, others still Walt Disney World, and others just the name of park. It all means the same thing anyway.

Just cut them some slack, they come here to have fun, not to care about what city limits they might happen to be or to agree if it is the ''Happiest" or ''Most Magical'' place on earth.

IMHO ITS BOTH

One More thing, at the bottem of your posts you have....Quentin Disney
Merchandise Host - Disney-MGM Studios since March 2002

Its Disney/MGM Studios right?? I might be wrong one this but I think that Disney always puts a backslash (/) and not a (-) in between Disney and MGM.

bhg469

yikes someone needs to stop listening to other peoples conversations if it bothers you so much. orlando is not exactly far from disneyworld. i live in buffalo but i dont get offended when people think i live in niagara falls. but more often than not i get the whole your near the city and im like what city?? they say new york. yeah its only 8 hours away.

You're a Disney cast member? You do realize that this site is called WDWMAGIC? Golly! (By the way, translate golly into jive from the movie Airplane!) :D

gjpjtj

Okay, I will stick up for you a bit. It has always bothered me when people call WDW "the happiest place on earth" as well. And I don't say that to put anyone down, it's just something that irks me.:)

mortimermouse

Not trying to be picky but there is no town of Reedy Creek. The Property is in the Reedy Creek Improvement District , which consists of two towns: Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake. You never see Bay Lake used anywhere and all mailing addresses are in Lake Buena Vista. Hope this helps.

WDWspider

Originally posted by figmentmom
In all the years we've vacationed at WDW, I've NEVER heard it referred to as the "happiest place on earth!"

Me either, but I have heard many people call WDW Disneyland. :lol:

As far as the Orlando bit... WDW is so close to Orlando that I see no harm in it... Everything that is built up is buit in Orlando. At least Disneyland is some Distance from LA.

RPMdfw

As far as I'm concerned it IS the happiest place on earth. Mainly because it's the place on earth that I'm the happiest. Does that mean that I'm wrong because some advertising exec dubbed Disneyland "The Happiest Place on Earth" decades ago? Nope. We're talking about advertising slogans here! Do I really believe that "Coke adds life" or is the "Real Thing?". Do I go to MacDonalds because I "deserve a break today"? Those are all decades old ad slogans too. They mean as little to me now as they did then (when I was a kid). They're not worth getting upset over.

spoodles

Wow. There have to be bigger things to worry about, like grammar.

(Thank you FLcastmember, your reply made mine much shorter!)

WDWFanatic

I agree with RPMdfw; when I am there it is my happiest place on earth. No where else makes me as happy, and no where else do i get so excited to go. The week before I leave to go to WDW people are ready to put me in a straight jacket to calm me down!

As for people who call WDW disneyland I just correct them. It doesent really bother me, they just dont know from experience. The only thing that ever bothers me is hearing people in line acting like they know everything about the ride and getting half of it totally wrong! I just want to yell WRONG MORON!!!!:lol:

westie

I look at it this way. If you've ever experienced one of Disney's competing amusement parks and ended the day wishing you had gone to disney instead, then you'd realize why its "the happiest place on earth" and that you'd just spent a weeks salary on crap.

gjpjtj

Originally posted by EpcoTim
Well, I cant wait for my next trip to Orlando to visit one of the happiest places on earth.

This statement I have no problem with. It's funny what a difference the addition of a few words can make.:lol:

meeko_33785

I could care less whether WDW is the "Happiest Place on Earth", "The Most Magical Place on Earth", or ever the "Merriest Place on Earth". I like it, so whatever it is, it's great.

As for the Orlando thing, since many vacationers also go to the other theme parks in the Orlando area (USF, IOA, SW, ect.), they just sum it up as an Orlando vacation.

Scooter

If you've never BEEN to Disneyland...(And I havn't)...then Walt Disney World IS the happiest place on earth.

I live in Aurora, Illinois,which is a suburb of Chicago...and people always say to me..."When I'm in Chicago I'll look you up!"

I used to correct people..but after doing it about a thousand times now I just smile and nod my head. It's not worth getting excited over.

I enjoy life and live it to the fullest...so as far as I'M concerned, where ever I'm AT is The Happiest place on earth.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom