It's a Small World Merch Question

hystericalbende

Original Poster
I've noticed Disney has some great merch lately for It's a Small World, which I love! The hippo on the ride (WDW) is one of my favorite things to see during my trip. I've noticed that some of the items have the hippo as aqua (which I feel is the appropriate color) while other have it as a light blue. Does anyone know why this is? Was it once more of a blue hue? I believe the DL version has a pink hippo, but I don't know why there would be this subtle variance would exist on so many different things. Just curious!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've noticed Disney has some great merch lately for It's a Small World, which I love! The hippo on the ride (WDW) is one of my favorite things to see during my trip. I've noticed that some of the items have the hippo as aqua (which I feel is the appropriate color) while other have it as a light blue. Does anyone know why this is? Was it once more of a blue hue? I believe the DL version has a pink hippo, but I don't know why there would be this subtle variance would exist on so many different things. Just curious!
Often merch is from a third party. Often said party won’t have ever ridden said attraction.

The Empress Lilly

When UNI bought the rights to Potter, in the contract it stipulated that east of the Mississippi Disney could not use any animals that looked like the Hippogriff. So that's why the WDW hippo and its merch need to be light blue whereas it can be aqua in DL.

HMFan999

When UNI bought the rights to Potter, in the contract it stipulated that east of the Mississippi Disney could not use any animals that looked like the Hippogriff. So that's why the WDW hippo and its merch need to be light blue whereas it can be aqua in DL.
My BS alarm is blaring on this one. That transaction wouldn't have included Disney in any way, so there's no way it would have stipulated what Disney could or couldn't do. Besides, a Hippogriff is a mythological creature, Universal or Harry Potter in general has no copyright claim over it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom