'It's A Small World' effects status

JustAFan

Original Poster
I rode It's A Small World a couple of days ago and it looks to be in bad repair. One of the platforms that dances dolls around in a circle was not moving. Those dolls were facing away from you. Movement on some of the dolls was more limited than normal. The sombrero hanging on a wall in the Mexico section was busted with a hole in the top. This ride needs some attention. Anyone else notice?

Chef Mickey

This attraction has too many issues to even track. So many moving parts, there is always something broken.

It's a shame, because it's all very simple and cheap...just pure laziness.

GSP Guy

Was just on a trip from 11/3-11/20. Noticed a broken cable that held a hot air balloon but what was really bad is numerous broken ceiling tiles. They are clearly nothing more than basic ceiling tiles painted black and one area had so many broken you could see how they would access them from above. Estimated repair time per tile probably 3 minutes post paint so I couldn't fathom how something like that doesn't get dealt with quickly and move on to the next project.

donaldtoo

Cowboy & Indian, last room, removed NOV 14-NOV 22.

They were both already missing when we rode on 10/29/19...

7E775DDD-B77B-4133-93F2-AEF6EC3779FC.jpeg

96E0F8B2-D614-453E-8E3F-19134EB5606D.jpeg

peter11435

Was just on a trip from 11/3-11/20. Noticed a broken cable that held a hot air balloon but what was really bad is numerous broken ceiling tiles. They are clearly nothing more than basic ceiling tiles painted black and one area had so many broken you could see how they would access them from above. Estimated repair time per tile probably 3 minutes post paint so I couldn't fathom how something like that doesn't get dealt with quickly and move on to the next project.
They are not broken. They are intentionally missing. Have been for years.

GSP Guy

They are not broken. They are intentionally missing. Have been for years.
Thanks for your response.
Any idea why? Many were partial tiles that certainly weren't symmetrical at the breaks. If it were to allow clear passage for cables for example there are many plastic or fiberglass options that could have been installed in the tiles to give a much cleaner and more professional appearance. I just found it all so curious because while I would imagine that many issues would be costly to repair in their attractions this particular issue would be easy and relatively inexpensive to address.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Rode it yesterday. Except for the first upside down carousel not working, the only other issue I noticed was the main audio not being on in the Polynesia room. But that allowed me to confirm that the background audio was working very well. I was hearing things I never heard before such as the Can-Can Dancers' "woos"; and all the various additions to the music in the native cultures. For example, in Polynesia, the Hawaiian steel guitars and Tiki drums were playing an orchestration of the music in their own manner. And throughout, I heard other such additions from other instruments.

And that's very good. The big complaint of IaSW is the repetitiveness of the music, so, it's good to hear those variations.

But the Sinbad ride in Tokyo does it better.

Homemade Imagineering

Speaking of all things it’s a small world, I thought I’d just put this here. It appears to be a shed full of broken small world dolls? They are definitely from IASW, as they share the same faces as the ones on IASW do, and they have the same arm positions ( like holding a trumpet ), and have the same bases as all small world dolls have. To be honest this is kinda freaky just because I’ve never seen them in this state before, but also kinda sad to see some of them this way. Hopefully this shed is Disney’s, and they’re using them for parts for the other AA’s.

Attachments

• 6C363E5A-B9AD-4E4C-A93B-204353499F37.jpeg
    6C363E5A-B9AD-4E4C-A93B-204353499F37.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

JustAFan

Original Poster
Speaking of all things it’s a small world, I thought I’d just put this here. It appears to be a shed full of broken small world dolls? They are definitely from IASW, as they share the same faces as the ones on IASW do, and they have the same arm positions ( like holding a trumpet ), and have the same bases as all small world dolls have. To be honest this is kinda freaky just because I’ve never seen them in this state before, but also kinda sad to see some of them this way. Hopefully this shed is Disney’s, and they’re using them for parts for the other AA’s.
Looks like something out of a horror movie.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They come alive at night. There have been reports of strange things happening, of missing workers and missing security guards. This has all been hushed by the Mouse for decades. A few snippets of video had been uploaded to youtube but were taken down within hours.
Uh, this is Christmas, not Halloween...

JoeCamel

They come alive at night. There have been reports of strange things happening, of missing workers and missing security guards. This has all been hushed by the Mouse for decades. A few snippets of video had been uploaded to youtube but were taken down within hours.
George? George? Is that you????

Homemade Imagineering

This isn’t maintenance related, but more about changes that have taken place in the attraction, specifically the Disneyland version. It’s interesting to me how Disney decided they wanted to change some of the doll’s movements, I’m guessing around the early to mid 70s. Back when it was at the worlds fair, they had very fast and interesting movements, making them look more programmed than they do today. Today, most of them just have a simple back and forth rotation movement, or constant hip sway. When they were taken to Disneyland, it seems that their movements were slightly altered, but not by much, as seen in this old 8mm movie from the 60s after it was moved

Disneyland Version in 60s:

Worlds fair:

Then, around the mid 70s, it seems that the more programmed looking movement was swapped on most dolls for the current movement they have today, which is a simple rotation back and forth, judging by this video from 1977, that features a part of the ride, where the dolls have been altered to their current movement
( the attraction appears at 4:14).

Just something I thought would be interesting to point out, and is an often overlooked detail in the attractions history🙂!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
January 27 the refurbishment starts for entrance area and queue with a temporary entrance during construction. An on going refurbishment of the animatronics has been on going. They are removed and returned to service after and repeat with the next characters. There is no end date yet for this refurbishment at this time.

TTA94

January 27 the refurbishment starts for entrance area and queue with a temporary entrance during construction. An on going refurbishment of the animatronics has been on going. They are removed and returned to service after and repeat with the next characters. There is no end date yet for this refurbishment at this time.

Does you know what’s being done to the queue?
Two things I wish would happen that I know sadly won’t, is a complete facade change to look like Disneyland lol, and returning the fountains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom