it's a lost world: Where does IASW belong?

jt04

If you claim the princesses and cartoons don't belong in EPCOT, then the same argument applies to IASW not belonging in Fantasyland. Move it and use the space for so much more....

Tangled-yes please
Frozen-yes please
Emperor's New Groove (will NEVER happen in a billion years, I know)- yes please
Classic ride with Mickey and the gang-yes ma'am

No Fab Five in the MKs Fantasyland please. Unless a compelling IP is produced that places them in the proper context. And with so many other great IPs that better fit the theme of the FLE why choose any other option?

Fantasmicguy

Things:

• "it's a small world" to EPCOT is something I haven't thought of, but it's absolutely brilliant. One of my biggest complaints at Magic Kingdom is that "Old" Fantasyland has lazy-looking exteriors. It's hard to re-purpose the old iasw building into something more in line with the expansion without moving the ride elsewhere at all, and if it's moved to somewhere else in Fantasyland, then you have to contend with making it fit in with its surroundings all over again. By moving it to EPCOT, you're putting a World's Fair attraction in what is essentially a permanent World's Fair. Beautiful.
  • Tomorrowland is in an identity crisis, and I'd argue that Future World is as well. I do not believe that Future World is Tomorrowland+. They can co-exist with no name changes and no overlap. Future World is about actual science and technology. Tomorrowland (like every land in the Magic Kingdom) is about idealization. Future World is concerned with where we're actually going, and Tomorrowland is concerned with where we thought we were going. One explains the ins and outs of energy, and the other is there for sleek looking spaceships and submarines. Tomorrowland's future should be one of Verne and Wells.
  • With this incredibly deep realization about Future World and Tomorrowland having been made, I think it's pretty clear that Carousel of Progress is a better fit in Future World. The question is location. It should be centered, but that would block up the openness which Future World should have. If it can go beneath Innoventions, it's a good fit. It doesn't even need to predict the future. It just needs to be the last century's version of Spaceship Earth.
Wonders of life or universe of energy?

Fantasmicguy

Something like that needs to be centered. Shoving it off to the side is a bit awkward from a symbolic perspective.
Well I guess the fountain could be torn down. But when you look at it all the Ecopt rides except for Spaceship Earth are off to the sides.

Thrill

Well I guess the fountain could be torn down. But when you look at it all the Ecopt rides except for Spaceship Earth are off to the sides.

The idea is that Future World West is supposed to revolve around man-made things (energy, transportation), and East is about natural things (land, sea). I'd argue that Horizons and Imagination should have been centered. The whole idea is that progress comes from each of these fields, and that communication and imagination are essential to our understanding of these fields.

I like rigidity in Future World, and they could have taken it a step farther in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom