"It will always be MGM Studios to me"

The Pho

Seems like DHS has the same number of letters as MGM. Personally, I went to Disney/MGM from opening to was changed. The minute that the MGM part was dropped I have had no problem recognizing it as DHS. Why? Because that was it's name! I had that same problem in my own life. My first name was the same as my Fathers, my middle name was not. At home, to avoid confusion my parents called me by my middle name as well as enrolled me in school as my middle. When we moved and I was in high school I decided that I wanted to be know by my first name so that is what I insisted on being addressed. My close family, there aren't many of them left, still call me by my middle, but everyone else in the world knows me by my first. So I understand why it is hard to change, but, I am not a different person, DHS is very different from Disney/MGM so it shouldn't be all that difficult. DHS is, at least, the entire name representation whereas MGM was only half the name and Disney/MGM is much more difficult to say.

Its certainly not difficult to change what you call it. But it’s not like it confuses people. Not once has somebody not understood which park I was taking about when saying MGM, but I have run into confusion when calling it Studios, not often but still some. Basically I think MGM is a better name and I preferred the park when it was MGM, so I continue to call it that. Simple preference.

mharrington

Original Poster
Its certainly not difficult to change what you call it. But it’s not like it confuses people. Not once has somebody not understood which park I was taking about when saying MGM, but I have run into confusion when calling it Studios, not often but still some. Basically I think MGM is a better name and I preferred the park when it was MGM, so I continue to call it that. Simple preference.

I find it confusing at times, especially since I'm a fan of the history of Hollywood in general. When I hear the word "MGM", I think "What are they talking about?" I find the usage of "MGM" quite confusing in this context. It sounds like it's strictly a place about MGM, when it's clearly nothing of the sort.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I hope I didn't imply that you shouldn't... it's of no direct concern of mine. I was just discussing why it just doesn't make sense to me and why I have changed and not looked back. I assume that if you are talking to people about the parks or answering questions for people that have never been before that you use the actual current name because, well, they do not know what you are talking about when saying MGM and could indeed cause some confusion. Lord knows Disney creates enough confusion for a first timer without any of us adding to that confusion.

The Pho

I hope I didn't imply that you shouldn't... it's of no direct concern of mine. I was just discussing why it just doesn't make sense to me and why I have changed and not looked back. I assume that if you are talking to people about the parks or answering questions for people that have never been before that you use the actual current name because, well, they do not know what you are talking about when saying MGM and could indeed cause some confusion. Lord knows Disney creates enough confusion for a first timer without any of us adding to that confusion.
Yes when trying to help somebody out that is less experienced I’ll always use the full proper name for everything, they need to be able to look it up without having prior knowledge.

JIMINYCR

In my mind and heart I'll always think of it as MGM, when I say MGM to members of my family they of course know what Im referring to. When I talk to friends who have been to WDW before we usually talk using the term MGM. But when I am helping new Disney friends I use the official Disney names because they will be using the guide books and internet sites that no longer use the park name MGM.

correcaminos

I call it "MGM - Studios - Whatever" because they changed the name enough that I don't care to learn, especially when there are rumors it will change again.

Just like TTA or Wedway or whatever they call it now. Don't really care and when talking to others, they know what I'm talking about.

I don't mean to say wrong names, I just do out of habit. Nothing to get all bent out of shape of IMO. People unknowingly call rides and parks wrong names all the time!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I call it "MGM - Studios - Whatever" because they changed the name enough that I don't care to learn, especially when there are rumors it will change again.

Just like TTA or Wedway or whatever they call it now. Don't really care and when talking to others, they know what I'm talking about.

I don't mean to say wrong names, I just do out of habit. Nothing to get all bent out of shape of IMO. People unknowingly call rides and parks wrong names all the time!
You mean it isn't called "El Rio Del Donald" 😲😲

Mickey1984

will always be MGM.

has the idea of renaming it again been shelved? not heard anything in past few months, just with toy story and SW now open, would seem odd to do it afterwards?

SteveBrickNJ

It's still Esso in most of the world.
I was aware that it is still Esso in Canada. I did not consider "most of the world".
A google search I just did revealed that in the United Stated Esso changed its name to Exxon in 1972. It was weird for a couple of months then I got over it.
Disney's Hollywood Studios seems like a perfect name for a theme park that is IN Disney. There's no need to cling to a former name.

stratman50th

"It's still rock n roll to me"!
Every time I skim the page and see the title to this thread that song pops into my head. For those of you who now have that earworm, you're welcome. To the rest, please continue and sorry for the intrusion. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom