"It will always be MGM Studios to me"

wombat

I had watched a video on Rob Play's site about why Disney-MGM Studios was renamed to Disney's Hollywood Studios, and more importantly, why it was called Disney-MGM Studios to begin with:

What really gets me is why everyone still refers to it as "MGM Studios" or even just "MGM", when the MGM name, as we speak, has been pretty much purged from the park's existence, for financial reasons, mainly, as the video explains. The park has come a long way since its beginnings as an actual studio. I personally refer to the park, either way, as just "The Studios". That way, regardless of MGM's existence in the park, I don't have to come up with a new nickname for it (although when/if they do change the name, removing the "Studios" part from it, I probably will have to find a new nickname). My nickname does not refer to either Disney or MGM in particular; it is deliberately vague and can go any way.

Does anybody actually care what it is called?

Goofyernmost

I refer to it as MGM still in large part because when it was MGM, it was by far my favorite park. It’s a massive reason for why I love theme parks and film. Also MGM is just a better name than Hollywood Studios, Hollywood Studios is a mouthful to say frequently.
Seems like DHS has the same number of letters as MGM. Personally, I went to Disney/MGM from opening to was changed. The minute that the MGM part was dropped I have had no problem recognizing it as DHS. Why? Because that was it's name! I had that same problem in my own life. My first name was the same as my Fathers, my middle name was not. At home, to avoid confusion my parents called me by my middle name as well as enrolled me in school as my middle. When we moved and I was in high school I decided that I wanted to be know by my first name so that is what I insisted on being addressed. My close family, there aren't many of them left, still call me by my middle, but everyone else in the world knows me by my first. So I understand why it is hard to change, but, I am not a different person, DHS is very different from Disney/MGM so it shouldn't be all that difficult. DHS is, at least, the entire name representation whereas MGM was only half the name and Disney/MGM is much more difficult to say.

EPCOT Ctr. was not all that much different after the name changed to Epcot. At least, it is a proper name and not initials. I can assure you it no longer even is slightly like an "Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow". Truth be known, it never was even close to what Walt Disney had designed and wanted to create. Now I understand that they are going to change it back to EPCOT. EPCOT and Epcot are exactly the same thing, pronounced the same, the same letters and really is only a token change to mollify those unable to understand or accept change. Disney knows that capitalizing the letters really changes nothing, it just makes a few nostalgically happy. I guess in the world of cyberspace it is just yelling out the name instead of softly communicating it.

MarkTwain

Those feel more natural to me. But I do hear them frequently referred to as Magic and Animal, alongside Studios, Springs, Blizzard, and Typhoon. People tend to be very informal.

I say all of those... and often I just say Animal out loud as "Dak". Stuff I picked up as a cast member and never stopped using!

bUU

I never liked that Disney "had to" associate their theme park with another company's film library. When they finally removed "MGM" from the name of the place, it was "good riddance" as far as I'm concerned.

SteveBrickNJ

Off topic -----Have to ask why in Jersey are you not allowed to pump your own gas?
It precedes my birth so I don't know how it got started. Whenever I hear discussion about dropping that law, it never goes far because so many people are earning a paycheck each week pumping gas. If they all lost their jobs that would hurt those individuals. I'll search for the number of folks employed and I'll come back to this thread if I find it.
...........came back to the thread and I selected "edit"
The law dates back to the late 1940s. It was to ensure public safety. Seriously? :rolleyes::D

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

It precedes my birth so I don't know how it got started. Whenever I hear discussion about dropping that law, it never goes far because so many people are earning a paycheck each week pumping gas. If they all lost their jobs that would hurt those individuals. I'll search for the number of folks employed and I'll come back to this thread if I find it.
The law dates back to the late 1940s. It was to ensure public safety. Seriously? :rolleyes::D
Sorry....I can't find any quote of how many people would lose their jobs. Yet one internet source says NJ has slightly over 1,000 gas stations. Most gas stations have multiple #s of people to cover the different shifts. I'm not in favor of pumping my own gas at the expense of those folks.

John park hopper

Sorry....I can't find any quote of how many people would lose their jobs. Yet one internet source says NJ has slightly over 1,000 gas stations. Most gas stations have multiple #s of people to cover the different shifts. I'm not in favor of pumping my own gas at the expense of those folks.
My times driving through Jersey your gas price were not that much higher than what I pay in SC even though the stations are paying people to pump gas. Agree it wouldn't make much sense to eliminate those jobs.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Having seen how monumentally stupid the general public is i wouldn't trust 90% of them to drive let alone pump petrol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom