Trip Report It Wasn't Quite the Trip We Had Planned..June 2020

Hello everyone! We got back from our trip last week, and as you can all surmise, it didn't include much Disney :( !
First, let me introduce us in case you don't know us.
20200609_133500.jpg

Me (Amy) and my husband Brian.

20200606_130131.jpg

Our kids, Logan (17), Lily (15), and Owen (12).

Our original plan was to leave our house early in the morning on Tuesday, June 2 and spend 2 night at Staybridge Suites which is a partner hotel for SeaWorld and included a free tour in the park and free Quick Queue passes for our visit to SeaWorld on June 3. We were then set to check in to Caribbbean Beach Resort on June 4th and attend the Villains After Hours on June 5th. We had ADRs at 'Ohana, Boma, Beaches and Cream, and Whispering Canyon Cafe. Then we would transfer to Hard Rock Hotel on June 7th to spend the 8-11 at the Universal Parks and drive home on the 12th.
Well, we all know what happened to those plans!! First we learned that Disney wouldn't be open and we were forced to cancel our CBR stay. Then Universal announced that they would be opening on the 5th, and, finally, SeaWorld announced they were opening on the 11th. We went back and forth for quite awhile on whether we would go or not. We finally decided to give it a try because we all just needed a break! We decided to move Universal up a day so we could fit SeaWorld in at the end of the trip since they wouldn't be open for our original day. Our new plan: leave early morning on June 6 and drive to Hard Rock to start our Universal days on the 7th through the 10th, switch to Staybridge Suites and visit Disney Springs on the 11th, visit SeaWorld on the 12th, and drive home on the 13th. Still didn't work out that way, but we'll eventually get to that!!

I know that Universal and Disney World are two totally different beasts, but I am writing this in the hopes that something we experienced or learned at Universal will help some of you on your Disney trips that may still happen this year! (Sorry to the CKC peeps that have already heard some of this!)

Ok, let's get started!
We left Dayton, Ohio at about 1 am and made it to Hard Rock at about 4pm. We stopped at a Chick fil A in southern Tennessee for breakfast. The dining room was not open, so we had to eat in the car which we totally expected. We made it to the Florida Welcome Center at lunch time and ate a picnic style lunch that we had packed. Rest stops were about 50/50 with people wearing masks as compared to not. We always had ours on!
20200606_155905.jpg

20200606_155918.jpg

Check in at Hard Rock was super easy! You had to have a mask on to enter and they check your temperature right away and give you a wrist band that is good for the whole day so you don't have to have your temp taken each time you enter a park or your hotel. The color of the band changes every day. They had hand sanitizer in lots of places throughout the hotel and they had signs requesting only one party in the elevators at a time. The actual check in was the same except they had plexiglass between you and the team member and they didn't give you a paper map. They did not have daily housekeeping, but they text you shortly after check in and you can ask for anything you need by texting back and they take care of it for you.

We arrived in time to run to CityWalk for dinner. Security was the same to get in other than needing a mask and the hand sanitizer available. They did actually go through my bag instead of just running it through the machine which I thought was funny since that involves touching multiple people's things without changing gloves in between (we later found out that the scanner was not working). Most people kept masks on, but we did see some with them hanging from an ear or pulled down under their chin.

I love the walk over from Hard Rock! We took a quick break off the main pathway to get a pic without masks:
IMG_0495.JPG

We hit NBC Sports Grill and Brew for dinner. We sat at a foosball table and got to play while waiting on dinner. We got a soft pretzel to share for an appetizer and it was huge! (and delicious!!) They give you a bag to put your masks in to set on the table and the wait staff always wear masks. It was very enjoyable!
20200606_183154.jpg

20200606_174841.jpg

20200606_174407.jpg

We then turned in early to prepare for our first day in the park!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Friday, June 12

Today was supposed to be our day at SeaWorld and they didn't open until 10, so everyone slept in a little, and the kids slept in a lot! As I was checking Facebook that morning, I saw post after post about what a disastrous opening day SeaWorld had. I decided to read all of the articles to see what the issues were. Apparently, there was a huge crowd with not enough room to socially distance appropriately at opening. Then they were not making people wear their masks and multiple team members working in the food areas were seen with their masks down below their noses. There were many rides not open (Journey to Atlantis, Empire of the Penguins, and Wild Arctic), and Manta was supposed to be, but never did run that day. Dolphin Cove and the Stingray Lagoon were both closed. And the food selection was reported to be very limited. Not to mention it was supposed to be so very hot that day!! Brian and I made an executive decision that if we would not lose our tickets by skipping our reservation, we would not go to SeaWorld. However, I was unable to get through on the phone to them to ask. One of the reasons we chose to stay at Staybridge was the ability to walk to the park, so Brian and I donned our masks and walked over to try to talk to someone. I did notice that the cars were parked every other spot, which was not the case the previous day according to everything I read. I was afraid we would have to go through security to be able to talk to someone, but we found a team member outside of the temperature tents who had just finished passing out paper masks to anyone who needed one. He was very helpful and interested in everything I had to say. I explained that we had bought our tickets through AAA in early March and got our reservation, but were not sure we really wanted to enter the park that day. He listened closely to everything we had to say and did mention that they had gotten an email reminding them that it was their job to enforce the mask wearing, so they at least knew it was a problem! I asked about the Quick Queues, and they were still selling them even though I had been unable to get one at our hotel that was supposed to be included in our stay. He, of course, had no idea what the disconnect there was, but was very apologetic. He said he totally understood where we were coming from and assured us that our tickets would still be valid next year. He even offered to have us use the tickets we already had that day and comp us for tickets to use next year when we are down for the cruise. We thanked him and said we had to talk to the kids before deciding what to do. He made sure we knew what time he was leaving and that we should seek him out if we did decide to enter the parks that day. The kids didn't really want to have to wear the masks in the heat again at a park, so we decided to go a different direction.

We headed to the outlet malls instead. On the way there, we drove by the newest Universal hotel.
20200612_134501.jpg

20200612_134552.jpg

20200612_150839.jpg

20200612_150852.jpg

Lily had certain stores she wanted to see at the outlet malls, so we hit those and had a bite to eat, then it started to get a little too crowded for our liking, so we went back the hotel and chilled for a little before dinner. I had to have some of my favorite Disney snacks while playing on the computer!
20200612_155517.jpg

We decided to return to Disney Springs for dinner. Yay!!
20200612_164635.jpg

20200612_165020.jpg

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
After dinner, we returned to World of Disney where I managed to spend even more money! On the way, we ran into these guys:
20200612_181018.jpg

20200612_181026.jpg

20200612_181030.jpg

20200612_181045.jpg

I was tempted to purchase on of these, but we definitely didn't have room in the car for one!
20200612_181129.jpg

20200612_181140.jpg

20200612_181256.jpg

20200612_181318.jpg

And I can't believe I didn't get a pic of my favorite fountain when we were at Disney Springs the day before!
20200612_182910.jpg

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Then it was dessert time! Brian and Logan decided they didn't want anything, but Owen got a churro:
20200612_183335.jpg

Lily got cookies and cream ice cream from Ghirardelli:
20200612_183846.jpg

And I got Dole Whip nachos:
20200612_183752.jpg

It was so yummy, but it was huge!!

We called it a night and then on Saturday drove back to Dayton with no issues other than a little bit of a slow down through the Atlanta area!

Final thoughts: I'm glad we went and we had a wonderful time, but I would never choose to schedule a new vacation with the current restrictions in place. I feel that Universal handled things as well as they possibly could, and we felt very safe there. Not gonna lie, the masks were pretty miserable that last day when the temp was in the 90s and the real feel was 107! Disney Springs also did a nice job with the safety precautions. I hope they can keep that up with the opening of the parks this week! SeaWorld is still apparently having issues, so I'm glad we decided to not go there.

Thank you to everyone who continued to follow along even though there wasn't much Disney involved with this trip!

RememberWhen

Then it was dessert time! Brian and Logan decided they didn't want anything, but Owen got a churro:
View attachment 481825

View attachment 481827

View attachment 481826

We called it a night and then on Saturday drove back to Dayton with no issues other than a little bit of a slow down through the Atlanta area!

Final thoughts: I'm glad we went and we had a wonderful time, but I would never choose to schedule a new vacation with the current restrictions in place. I feel that Universal handled things as well as they possibly could, and we felt very safe there. Not gonna lie, the masks were pretty miserable that last day when the temp was in the 90s and the real feel was 107! Disney Springs also did a nice job with the safety precautions. I hope they can keep that up with the opening of the parks this week! SeaWorld is still apparently having issues, so I'm glad we decided to not go there.

Thank you to everyone who continued to follow along even though there wasn't much Disney involved with this trip!
Thanks for sharing your journey! Those dole whip nachos look awesome. I’ll admit when I read “dole whip nachos” it didn’t sound very appealing, but the picture makes everything clear.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Thank you for sharing your escapades with us, Amy. Glad your family still had fun 😷!
You're welcome! I can't wait to hear about your upcoming trip!
Thanks for sharing your journey! Those dole whip nachos look awesome. I’ll admit when I read “dole whip nachos” it didn’t sound very appealing, but the picture makes everything clear.
You're welcome! Thanks for reading along! I have to say, I thought the same thing when I first heard about them, but they were definitely yummy!

LisaBelle

Sorry you didn't get to visit Sea World, but I agree that it was the best decision. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. I truly enjoyed it.

Songbird76

View attachment 481825

View attachment 481827

View attachment 481826

Great report! I'm not at all phased by there not being much Disney, because I love travel in general, so it's all good to me! I think if it weren't for the masks, it sounds like it was an ideal time to go....few lines, etc. My husband and I did Disneyworld for our honeymoon a couple of weeks after 9/11 and it was perfect. Every ride was a walk on, you could get right in at any restaurant...it was amazing. But I have to admit, even that doesn't sound appealing with a real feel of 107 and with a mask on!

Loco_driver

Thanks for the TR. it was an interesting look at the universal parks. Sounds like they’re doing the best they can. Also, how have I never heard of the dole whip nachos? I guess maybe I’ll have to go to Disney springs to try it out someday!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Great report! I'm not at all phased by there not being much Disney, because I love travel in general, so it's all good to me! I think if it weren't for the masks, it sounds like it was an ideal time to go....few lines, etc. My husband and I did Disneyworld for our honeymoon a couple of weeks after 9/11 and it was perfect. Every ride was a walk on, you could get right in at any restaurant...it was amazing. But I have to admit, even that doesn't sound appealing with a real feel of 107 and with a mask on!
Thanks for following along! It really was a perfect time to go, we got in before the cases started to increase and for the most part the weather was very tolerable until that last day at Universal!
Thanks for the TR. it was an interesting look at the universal parks. Sounds like they’re doing the best they can. Also, how have I never heard of the dole whip nachos? I guess maybe I’ll have to go to Disney springs to try it out someday!
The dole whip nachos are fairly new. I'm not sure exactly when they made their debut, but I remember reading about it and thinking we would have to try them during the trip, so I want to say it was possibly right before the closure happened.

MickeyCB

Thanks for posting your trip report. I think we all want to go somewhere and it was a delight following along on your trip!
We've got a trip booked for October and it just looks less and less likely.:(

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Thanks for posting your trip report. I think we all want to go somewhere and it was a delight following along on your trip!
We've got a trip booked for October and it just looks less and less likely.:(
You're welcome! Thanks for following along! I hope October works out for you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom