Trip Report It Wasn't Quite the Trip We Had Planned..June 2020

Hello everyone! We got back from our trip last week, and as you can all surmise, it didn't include much Disney :( !
First, let me introduce us in case you don't know us.
20200609_133500.jpg

Me (Amy) and my husband Brian.

20200606_130131.jpg

Our kids, Logan (17), Lily (15), and Owen (12).

Our original plan was to leave our house early in the morning on Tuesday, June 2 and spend 2 night at Staybridge Suites which is a partner hotel for SeaWorld and included a free tour in the park and free Quick Queue passes for our visit to SeaWorld on June 3. We were then set to check in to Caribbbean Beach Resort on June 4th and attend the Villains After Hours on June 5th. We had ADRs at 'Ohana, Boma, Beaches and Cream, and Whispering Canyon Cafe. Then we would transfer to Hard Rock Hotel on June 7th to spend the 8-11 at the Universal Parks and drive home on the 12th.
Well, we all know what happened to those plans!! First we learned that Disney wouldn't be open and we were forced to cancel our CBR stay. Then Universal announced that they would be opening on the 5th, and, finally, SeaWorld announced they were opening on the 11th. We went back and forth for quite awhile on whether we would go or not. We finally decided to give it a try because we all just needed a break! We decided to move Universal up a day so we could fit SeaWorld in at the end of the trip since they wouldn't be open for our original day. Our new plan: leave early morning on June 6 and drive to Hard Rock to start our Universal days on the 7th through the 10th, switch to Staybridge Suites and visit Disney Springs on the 11th, visit SeaWorld on the 12th, and drive home on the 13th. Still didn't work out that way, but we'll eventually get to that!!

I know that Universal and Disney World are two totally different beasts, but I am writing this in the hopes that something we experienced or learned at Universal will help some of you on your Disney trips that may still happen this year! (Sorry to the CKC peeps that have already heard some of this!)

Ok, let's get started!
We left Dayton, Ohio at about 1 am and made it to Hard Rock at about 4pm. We stopped at a Chick fil A in southern Tennessee for breakfast. The dining room was not open, so we had to eat in the car which we totally expected. We made it to the Florida Welcome Center at lunch time and ate a picnic style lunch that we had packed. Rest stops were about 50/50 with people wearing masks as compared to not. We always had ours on!
20200606_155905.jpg

20200606_155918.jpg

Check in at Hard Rock was super easy! You had to have a mask on to enter and they check your temperature right away and give you a wrist band that is good for the whole day so you don't have to have your temp taken each time you enter a park or your hotel. The color of the band changes every day. They had hand sanitizer in lots of places throughout the hotel and they had signs requesting only one party in the elevators at a time. The actual check in was the same except they had plexiglass between you and the team member and they didn't give you a paper map. They did not have daily housekeeping, but they text you shortly after check in and you can ask for anything you need by texting back and they take care of it for you.

We arrived in time to run to CityWalk for dinner. Security was the same to get in other than needing a mask and the hand sanitizer available. They did actually go through my bag instead of just running it through the machine which I thought was funny since that involves touching multiple people's things without changing gloves in between (we later found out that the scanner was not working). Most people kept masks on, but we did see some with them hanging from an ear or pulled down under their chin.

I love the walk over from Hard Rock! We took a quick break off the main pathway to get a pic without masks:
IMG_0495.JPG

We hit NBC Sports Grill and Brew for dinner. We sat at a foosball table and got to play while waiting on dinner. We got a soft pretzel to share for an appetizer and it was huge! (and delicious!!) They give you a bag to put your masks in to set on the table and the wait staff always wear masks. It was very enjoyable!
20200606_183154.jpg

20200606_174841.jpg

20200606_174407.jpg

We then turned in early to prepare for our first day in the park!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
20200610_140301.jpg

20200610_140822.jpg

20200610_140827.jpg

I stopped for one last frozen Butterbeer while Brian took the kids to get a treat in Seuss Landing.

Then one last ride on Hulk.
20200610_142043.jpg

At that point, the kids were DONE!! Literally wanted nothing more to do with the heat and the masks. There was a shirt Lily wanted from Diagon Alley, so we sent the kids back to the room while Brian and I walked back over to Universal Studios to get the shirt and Brian's breakfast for the next morning. A few pics as we made our way through:
20200610_151152.jpg

20200610_151540.jpg

20200610_152432.jpg

20200610_152447.jpg

20200610_152811.jpg

Everyone relaxed in the room for quite awhile. We finally decided to go to CityWalk for dinner. We decided on the Lone Palm Airport.
20200610_173502.jpg

This ended up being a huge mistake as it started pouring and there was minimal cover for us. The umbrella over the table kept the majority of us and our food dry, but my whole backside was soaking as was Logan's. Not that it really mattered as we were all drenched by the time we walked back to Hard Rock.

LisaBelle

So excited to read your latest TR! Glad you were still able to take your trip even if it didn’t turn out the way you’d planned! I’ve been wondering about wearing masks in the Florida heat, so I appreciated hearing about your experience. Are they wiping down rides/seats/lap bars between riders or just having people sanitize prior to boarding? Looking forward to the rest.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
So excited to read your latest TR! Glad you were still able to take your trip even if it didn’t turn out the way you’d planned! I’ve been wondering about wearing masks in the Florida heat, so I appreciated hearing about your experience. Are they wiping down rides/seats/lap bars between riders or just having people sanitize prior to boarding? Looking forward to the rest.
Thanks for reading! They were not wiping down the actual ride vehicles that I could see, just the handrails in the queues and making everyone use the hand sanitizer.

macefamily

Thanks for posting your trip along with some great pictures. It's amazing how light the crowds were. I was curious because we're considering a mid-July three day trip while we're moving our daughter down to Jacksonville. We're not sure how things are going to change given the additional shutdowns because of the spikes happening in FL. We'll wait to see.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Thanks for posting your trip along with some great pictures. It's amazing how light the crowds were. I was curious because we're considering a mid-July three day trip while we're moving our daughter down to Jacksonville. We're not sure how things are going to change given the additional shutdowns because of the spikes happening in FL. We'll wait to see.
You're welcome and thanks for reading! The low crowds were wonderful! I'm kind of curious myself to see what happens now with the increase in cases! Have a great trip if you end up going!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Thursday, June 11

We started the morning by sharing our Lard Lad donut that we purchased on the way out of the park the prior day as well as some other donuts and pastries purchased at Hard Rock.
20200611_073239.jpg

We then packed up the car and made our way to Staybridge Inn for our SeaWorld stay. We went over early in hopes that we could check in and unload the luggage from the car, but mostly to see about getting our Quick Queue passes for the next day and set up our free tour that was included with our stay. All around fail! We weren't able to check in even though they were nowhere near capacity, so we had to drag our luggage with us to Disney Springs. Not that big of a deal, but Brian worries excessively about leaving things in the car in a parking lot or garage, so he couldn't fully relax while we were there! Then we were told that SeaWorld was not using Quick Queue and not offering the tours. I wasn't really surprised about the tour, but was about the Quick Queue because you were able to purchase them online for the day we were going to be there. The gentleman who helped us was genuinely confused by this as they were not given any to hand out to guests.

So, off we went to Disney. We toured the property for a little bit before hitting Disney Springs.
20200611_092006.jpg

20200611_092855.jpg

20200611_093034.jpg

20200611_093232.jpg

20200611_093429.jpg

20200611_093710.jpg

It was really quite eerie to be on the roads with so few other cars!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I decided that this would be our lunch destination and everyone knew better than to argue with me!
20200611_113520.jpg

20200611_113526.jpg

They took your order at the counter like usual. They preferred that you use a card to pay. They handed you your cups and told you to find a table and someone would come fill your cups for you. They had some table closed to allow appropriate distancing. Someone then brought us prewrapped utensils and got our drinks for us. They would also bring your condiments to you if you needed any. Lot of people had trouble with the not getting their own drinks even though there were big signs on the machines saying someone needed to help you!
20200611_114406.jpg

20200611_114416.jpg

20200611_114502.jpg

20200611_114601.jpg

Owen only wanted a pretzel. He said it was good, but not as good as the one from NBC Grill.
20200611_114823.jpg

Brian, Logan, and I got pulled pork sandwiches. Sorry for the blurry pics!
20200611_114834.jpg

20200611_114847.jpg

Logan's was naked like mine was, but he got fries with his. Lily got three sides, a salad, macaroni, and the fries that Logan ate with his sandwich. All was very good and we plan to return!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We then returned to World of Disney where I did some serious damage! Good thing I was prepared for that and was armed with my Disney Visa Reward Points!!
20200611_121329.jpg

Then Brian and the kids went to the Lego store. They were being very strict about how many people were in the store and there was a small line, so I chose to not go in and instead took some pics.
20200611_130019.jpg

20200611_130043.jpg

20200611_130055.jpg

20200611_130115.jpg

Owen needed to go into the store at T-Rex.

20200611_131217.jpg

The boys then waited in line to go into the Marvel and Star Wars stores. Lily and I wandered and took a few photos.
20200611_144611.jpg

20200611_144615.jpg

20200611_144622.jpg

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
It started to pour at this point, so we took shelter for a few minutes near where the food trucks are. Then the kids and I ran into Candy Cauldron and made our sweets purchase there instead of going back to Goofy's. We then made our way to Disney Style.
20200611_150308.jpg

20200611_150318.jpg

20200611_150425.jpg

20200611_150607.jpg

We were tired of the rain at this point as it had been raining on and off up until the big downpour and made a decision to head back to the hotel and figure out dinner.
20200611_150732.jpg

We got back and checked in to Staybridge and decided on Five Guys for dinner. We then relaxed in the room before turning in early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom