It WAS the soap!

raymusiccity

Original Poster
image.jpg
Not a big deal, but, I still miss the special little touches that reminded you that you were staying someplace special.

Over the years the soap that greeted you in your Disney Resort had a cheery face of Mickey on the boxes of soap. Mickey's likeness was even 'sculpted' into each hefty bar.

Then, not only did the bar of soap shrink, but they sealed it into a challenging plastic wrap.

The shampoos with the cute Mickey ears weren't long for this world either.

Please jump in with any gaps I've missed, or earlier examples of the soap disappearing act.

This has always reminded me of Ralphie in 'A Christmas Story' : ' It'Twas the soap!'...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With a wife and one of three daughters that seem to be allergic to virtually every kind of soap on the planet, I was always more concerned with what was in the packaging vs the packaging itself.

In that regard the H2O line currently used in the resorts is miles better than what was there previously. We now no longer have to pack our own shampoo, conditioner and soap and can use what is provided to us in the resorts.

mouse_luv

With a wife and one of three daughters that seem to be allergic to virtually every kind of soap on the planet, I was always more concerned with what was in the packaging vs the packaging itself.

In that regard the H2O line currently used in the resorts is miles better than what was there previously. We now no longer have to pack our own shampoo, conditioner and soap and can use what is provided to us in the resorts.

I agree and am the same way as your wife and DD. While the Old Skool Mickey soaps were pretty awesome looking, I prefer the current H2O+ Stuff.

mouse_luv

I didn't consider the allergy side of the soap saga.

Let's compromise and put H2O in the Mickey boxes :)

I could settle for Disney using Basin White or Basin products instead. They could even have the handcut soaps with the mickey heads in them in the rooms with a mini shower gel, lotion, shampoo/conditioner bars, and bath bomb/bath salts.

I mean, they have both stores on property (Basin White at GF and Basin at DTD/DS), so why not use their products in the resorts? :joyfull:

Not to mention I :inlove: their products! :cool:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have loved all the Disney resort soaps and shampoos. Although my favorite is now the Disney Cruiseline shampoo, I also love the smell of their lotion but I'm not a big lotion person.

On a side note, I miss the powdered soaps that use to be in the theme parks, that was many moons ago though. Sometimes when I'm at Epcot or the MK I'm slightly shocked that it isn't powdered soap, I guess when I enter those parks I'm in a little time warp.

Mouse_Trap

To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't implemented something like this in the photo.

metro-hotel-on-pitt.jpg

Stick a pair of Mickey ears on the top....splash the generic 'Disney Resorts' across the middle and voila!

It would save them an absolute fortune....and actually do something positive for their green credentials.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't implemented something like this in the photo.

metro-hotel-on-pitt.jpg

Stick a pair of Mickey ears on the top....splash the generic 'Disney Resorts' across the middle and voila!

It would save them an absolute fortune....and actually do something positive for their green credentials.

I'm glad that they haven't. It would look ugly, and what if the person in the room before me played a "practical joke" and put something like hair remover or something in there. Yikes!

WDW Monorail

When I was at Coronado a few months ago, I called housekeeping for a couple extra towels since I declined their services one day. I left the room and when I returned I found 4 towels and a bag with 30 or so bottles of H20 shampoo and body wash. I took a bunch home but left some as well. It really is good stuff and I use it whenever I am away from home.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

metro-hotel-on-pitt.jpg

From what I have been told, those just do not work out well in hotels.

On the surface they look like a great idea. Buy the stuff in 55 gallon barrels at a fraction of the cost and just keep them full. Less waste, less work...everybody wins.

The reality is the dispensers leak, or break, people somehow knock them off the walls and many germaphobes will not touch the things.

Tuvalu

Premium Member

metro-hotel-on-pitt.jpg

Believe it or not, the value resorts actually had these dispensers for a very short (thankfully!!) time.

DizneyPryncess

I loved those little bottles with the mouse ears on top! I never saw them at WDW, but they were in our rooms in DL. I kept some of mine from that trip. I fill them with my own shampoo and travel with them sometimes instead of bringing the whole bottle. :)

cspencer96

H20+ is a great product line, and as others have mentioned, is great for those with sensitive skin and hair. I can use it knowing it won't screw with my skin! We buy their products at the resort market when we're at WDW - the H20+ Spa line from DCL and the Deluxe resorts is just divine. Disney may have abandoned clever packaging and lowered the souvenir status of their soaps, but the quality is unmatched by most other hotel companies, even the upper echelon ones.

mouse_luv

View attachment 88888 Not a big deal, but, I still miss the special little touches that reminded you that you were staying someplace special.

Over the years the soap that greeted you in your Disney Resort had a cheery face of Mickey on the boxes of soap. Mickey's likeness was even 'sculpted' into each hefty bar.

Then, not only did the bar of soap shrink, but they sealed it into a challenging plastic wrap.

The shampoos with the cute Mickey ears weren't long for this world either.

Please jump in with any gaps I've missed, or earlier examples of the soap disappearing act.

This has always reminded me of Ralphie in 'A Christmas Story' : ' It'Twas the soap!'...

I loved those little bottles with the mouse ears on top! I never saw them at WDW, but they were in our rooms in DL. I kept some of mine from that trip. I fill them with my own shampoo and travel with them sometimes instead of bringing the whole bottle. :)

Just to let you all know... Saw these today while browsing the Disney Store site and thought of this thread
http://www.disneystore.com/bath-aquatics-blushing-orange-bath-collection/mp/1348746/1007301/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom