Trip Report It was the best of times in the worst of times...

Hello All!
We're back from our October 2020 Disney trip, and a crazy time it was!

Like so many others whose trips were cancelled/delayed and changed, ours was too. A year ago before the world collapsed my husband wanted to have a big family blowout trip in November 2020. Our usual companions are my son 20, occasionally daughter 32 and her new husband. He also wanted (for whatever reason) to invite my mother and husband who profess to despise Disney, despite never having been there. His brother and wife, who live in NC and are so reluctant to travel they don't know the restaurants in their own town. He wanted to invite my sister, her husband and son, that he doesn't really spend any time with.🤷‍♀️ I said, "whatever dude" you invite and I'll figure it out.

Invitations went out and 2020 arrived. Our 2020 like many others has been a big pile of 💩 with one shining exception. So, I'm going to list from January to now in a purposely run-on sentence (paragraph) to get the years crap mentioned here and out of the way. It's meant to read fast and forget. The reason I'm going to go into our family's woes is some of this impacted our trip planning/scheduling.

January Scooby (our crazy loving dog) had to be put down and it was very traumatic February Gary's cancer worsened (those of you that have read my other reports know he is fighting stage 4 colon cancer) and they had to increase his chemo Gary gets both cataracts out right before Covid hits February I schedule the Poly for a crap ton of people that of course aren't coming March Seth gets kicked out of his college dorm in Savannah with the Covid shut down and in 48 hours finds an apartment we drive down 12 hours with a Uhaul trailer with donated furniture to help set him up looking like the Beverly hillbillies Aleisha my oldest gets laid off from her job as an interior designer in California due to Covid April we start volunteering at the local food bank because increasing volumes of people are hungry May Aleisha gets her job back and then looses it again due to Covid July I fall in the yard fracturing in multiple pieces my right (dominant) wrist requiring surgery September the day my daughter and her husband are getting ready to put a down payment on a house in California he gets laid off from his job as a lawyer due to Covid.

What, you say, could possibly be the shining exception? In the middle of that mess in April Aleisha and Julio called to tell us that we will be first time grandparents mid December! We're going to have a baby girl!

So, all of that crazy above resulted in my daughter and husband bailing on us for the November trip, and of course none of those in-laws, outlaws etc. were ever going to come, so we rearranged dates around my sons school schedule and planned for a trip in October, and said pooh to the rest of the invitees!

The people who actually ended up going were: Myself-Cindy, Husband-Gary, Son-Seth, Seth's friend from school-John
When: October 21-26th
Where: 1 night Rivera 1 bedroom Villa, and 4 nights at the Polynesian in a Bungalow
IMG_5556.JPG

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Congratulations on your new granddaughter. She is absolutely adorable. I hope you daughter gets home soon and is feeling better.
I know how hard it is to not be able to see your granddaughter or daughter.
Back in the dark ages, my son was born early, and had to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks. During that time we were not allowed to touch him or hold him!!! We could look through the nursery window, though, and that's what we did every day. It was over Christmas time too, and I was a depressed new Mom, first baby and all. My husband wasn't even allowed in the birthing room back then.
Wow, have things changed, for the better I think! Have a Merry Christmas
Cbs Christmas GIF by HULU
Thank you very much. She just got home about an hour ago. We're waiting for the all clear to go over. They have a big dog we call the Beast and they wanted to introduce her to the baby before all of the grandparent silliness starts!
And my hat off to you! We complain now, but giving birth back in the day had to be so much harder!

Minnesota disney fan

Thank you very much. She just got home about an hour ago. We're waiting for the all clear to go over. They have a big dog we call the Beast and they wanted to introduce her to the baby before all of the grandparent silliness starts!
And my hat off to you! We complain now, but giving birth back in the day had to be so much harder!

I had to laugh with the "Beast" comment. My son and family has a new "puppy" that is 8 months old and weighs over80 lb's. She is HUGE and I call her The Beast! She has to be put in the kennel when we are over there because she is too wild, and too big to handle. So glad your daughter and Granddaughter are home now and I bet you can't wait to go over there and cuddle her, sigh..............

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Sorry, one more pic. Gary made this for the baby. (He used a preexisting frame, tore it apart, and then redid it the way he wanted.) He used screws so it could be dismantled and then brought it out here to Sacramento in his suitcase!
Aleisha cried when he brought it in for her!
7F087345-32BF-4D1A-86C3-DA73D84ADDAD.jpeg

Last edited:

Songbird76

Sorry, one more pic. Gary made this for the baby. (He used a preexisting frame, tore it apart, and then redid it the way he wanted.) He used screws so it could be dismantled and then brought it out here to Sacramento in his suitcase!
Aleisha cried when he brought it in for her!
View attachment 520624
Oh that's so special and sweet!!! She will love it when she is old enough to ride it. I always wanted a rocking horse when I was little!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Glad to hear that mom and baby are home now and doing well. What perfect gift to make this a special Christmas for your family!

adopting episode 8 GIF
It certainly does!! Today we had the pleasure of her first buggy ride around the block! Pretty sunny day and no one around so no concerns with exposure. Sounds so simple and unimportant but was wonderful!

sheriffwoody

Just got finished with your report and loved it! I wish our trips had overlapped more so we could have met up! The bungalow looks absolutely amazing :inlove:

Best wishes to Gary with his treatment, and congrats on the grandbaby!! That's a nice bright spot at the end of a crappy year, for sure.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Just got finished with your report and loved it! I wish our trips had overlapped more so we could have met up! The bungalow looks absolutely amazing :inlove:

Best wishes to Gary with his treatment, and congrats on the grandbaby!! That's a nice bright spot at the end of a crappy year, for sure.
Thanks for following along! And it is so weird when you read another persons trip report and you realize you were very near their location at a similar time. (I've been following yours as well)! I can't wait till things return to normal and can meet up with some magicians). I got to meet @riverside in person which was awesome, (but it was in a parking lot in Pittsburgh)! Not Disney. 🤣

And thank you for the kind thoughts for Gary. I think everyone's positive comments and wishes here are helping. He had blood work today that was so good it is puzzling his oncologist!

And thanks on the congrats. She is such a cuddlebug!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom