Trip Report It was the best of times in the worst of times...

Hello All!
We're back from our October 2020 Disney trip, and a crazy time it was!

Like so many others whose trips were cancelled/delayed and changed, ours was too. A year ago before the world collapsed my husband wanted to have a big family blowout trip in November 2020. Our usual companions are my son 20, occasionally daughter 32 and her new husband. He also wanted (for whatever reason) to invite my mother and husband who profess to despise Disney, despite never having been there. His brother and wife, who live in NC and are so reluctant to travel they don't know the restaurants in their own town. He wanted to invite my sister, her husband and son, that he doesn't really spend any time with.🤷‍♀️ I said, "whatever dude" you invite and I'll figure it out.

Invitations went out and 2020 arrived. Our 2020 like many others has been a big pile of 💩 with one shining exception. So, I'm going to list from January to now in a purposely run-on sentence (paragraph) to get the years crap mentioned here and out of the way. It's meant to read fast and forget. The reason I'm going to go into our family's woes is some of this impacted our trip planning/scheduling.

January Scooby (our crazy loving dog) had to be put down and it was very traumatic February Gary's cancer worsened (those of you that have read my other reports know he is fighting stage 4 colon cancer) and they had to increase his chemo Gary gets both cataracts out right before Covid hits February I schedule the Poly for a crap ton of people that of course aren't coming March Seth gets kicked out of his college dorm in Savannah with the Covid shut down and in 48 hours finds an apartment we drive down 12 hours with a Uhaul trailer with donated furniture to help set him up looking like the Beverly hillbillies Aleisha my oldest gets laid off from her job as an interior designer in California due to Covid April we start volunteering at the local food bank because increasing volumes of people are hungry May Aleisha gets her job back and then looses it again due to Covid July I fall in the yard fracturing in multiple pieces my right (dominant) wrist requiring surgery September the day my daughter and her husband are getting ready to put a down payment on a house in California he gets laid off from his job as a lawyer due to Covid.

What, you say, could possibly be the shining exception? In the middle of that mess in April Aleisha and Julio called to tell us that we will be first time grandparents mid December! We're going to have a baby girl!

So, all of that crazy above resulted in my daughter and husband bailing on us for the November trip, and of course none of those in-laws, outlaws etc. were ever going to come, so we rearranged dates around my sons school schedule and planned for a trip in October, and said pooh to the rest of the invitees!

The people who actually ended up going were: Myself-Cindy, Husband-Gary, Son-Seth, Seth's friend from school-John
When: October 21-26th
Where: 1 night Rivera 1 bedroom Villa, and 4 nights at the Polynesian in a Bungalow
IMG_5556.JPG

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Agreed! That’s a great shot. I still can’t decide how I feel about the new castle colors. In this pic it looks gorgeous.
Thanks!
It's odd, I think because it was such a pretty day, blue sky, fluffy clouds, (and we were at Disney!), that it all worked, maybe?
I took another look at the last photo I took of the back of the castle and I think the pink is less pleasing there. Maybe too much of it? I don't know.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Dessert was fun. It's a trio of white chocolate Chip cup with grey stuff (and yes it was delicious)! It also had a dark chocolate truffle and a meringue thing. All very tasty.
View attachment 517348
The Dessert Trio was even more fun when it was served on edible "stained-glass" paper.

A7CA8E97-39E0-4185-BEA2-70F3453C5463.jpeg

I thought this lady's shirt was hilarious!
View attachment 517370
My mom saw a pic of a woman wearing a similar shirt. She wanted to purchase one for my sister-in-law.
"Can you check the stores for me on your next trip to Disney?" she asked me.
"Mom, I'm pretty sure Drinkerbelle is not an official Disney shirt."
"Oh."

Facepalm GIF by moodman

MickeyCB

Original Poster
The Dessert Trio was even more fun when it was served on edible "stained-glass" paper.

A7CA8E97-39E0-4185-BEA2-70F3453C5463.jpeg
Did you just tear off a piece and eat it? Trying to visualize eating that.
Also, did you see how much nicer the meringue/macaroon thing is in your desert trio?! And I noticed if you pull up the menu it still mentions the berries. We didn't get no stinkin berries!

My mom saw a pic of a woman wearing a similar shirt. She wanted to purchase one for my sister-in-law.
"Can you check the stores for me on your next trip to Disney?" she asked me.
"Mom, I'm pretty sure Drinkerbelle is not an official Disney shirt."
"Oh."
I think drinkerbell would sell very well!!!! Let's take a poll on here! 🤣

MickeyCB

Original Poster
October 26th-Day 6
Departure Day :(
Nope, you can't make me.
Dog Do Not Want GIF

But, as sad as it is, it cannot be avoided.
We woke up in time for our last sunrise on the deck. It was glorious!
(This pic is from our last day, it was the one I used to show the view when the pano wouldn't load on arrival day).
IMG_5753.JPG

We had coffee, OJ, and some of the Gaston Tavern cinnamon roll Seth had bought Gary the day before.
Because we had packed most everything the evening before we had a little morning chill time.
We were supposed to run over to the MK for an hour or so, but it stresses Gary out so much to run for the ME that we decided to cancel that, take a little deck time and walk over to the Ceremonial House to shop a little and look around. Our pickup time was 10:45.
It was a good decision, but I will say, I had a hard time with not getting on the monorail and zipping over. A little power walking never hurt anyone!
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

How cool is this view?! You can watch the boats from inside as well as on the deck!
IMG_5776.JPG

Gary made me a little sad at this point when he said, "I don't know if I'll ever get to see this again, I want to take it all in".
Oh just hell no. I gave him a little smack up side the head reassured him that we have many trips to go.
We just broke even on the DVC purchase, we're going to be the babysitters on the next one, we have to party with the Magicians!
Pick one, lots of motivation!

And with that I made him get up off of his butt and we headed out to look around.
You'll have to trust me because all I have is a video of proof, but Gary was doing the hula on the way over on the beach.:rolleyes:

First things first! Pin trading to start the morning off!
I think we took home the Cheshire Cat icecream bar and the California Adventure pin.
IMG_5794.JPG

He honestly shops more than I do.
IMG_5796.JPG

They already messed up the very unique lobby, you think this will be the next to go?
I know it costs more, requires more creativeness, and only appeals to some. But, why does Disney feel decorating in generic Hotel Whatever is the way to go now? I love the theming of their hotels and restaurants. If I want boring I'll eat somewhere in Pittsburgh (post covid). I love my city but you know what I mean.
Ok this rant over.
IMG_5797.JPG

One more comment about uniqueness, this is inlaid in the floor of the lobby. (Or used to be). This is from 2015, I forgot to see if it is still there.
IMG_5881.JPG

Up next, upstairs to shop and more exploring!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Departure Day continued-

We took our time looking around the lobby which we never usually do.
IMG_5803.JPG

He's pointing out Samoa where he did a stint with the Peace Corps, and our home away from home Bora Bora! 🤣
IMG_5805.JPG

I've never "seen" this before. It's crazy what you just blow past instead of stopping to look and appreciate.
IMG_5809.JPG

We went upstairs to the little store up there and bought my stepdad some candy for watching our cat while we were gone. The cat is crazy, I should have probably bought him a watch or something.
They had a new stock of masks available. We didn't buy any but they had some cute styles. I prefer my cheap hand blinged ones!
IMG_5811.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

We headed to the back of the lobby to go outside and make our way back to the bungalow to get our luggage. We grabbed a few more photos on our way there.
IMG_5815.JPG

IMG_5816.JPG

I don't remember between @Darstarr and @Loco_driver who likes what, but Gary loves the dole whips and he keeps getting the souvenir cup things "because we need more for our Polynesian room", he says. No, actually we don't. He was bummed because he would've eaten one of these for breakfast if they had been open.
IMG_5818.JPG

We're getting better at old people selfies, but not quite there yet!
I suspect that they are right up there with "mom selfies"!
IMG_5821.JPG

What a pretty view and the castle straight ahead!
IMG_5822.JPG

Up next, the last of our wanderings before the arrival of the dreaded ME!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Departure Day continued-

Before I finish up here I wanted to share a little of my Christmas decor.
This year being crazy town, we will probably not be home. Please don't judge, but we are trying to make it out to California for the baby's birth. It's going to be a game time decision if we are going to make it or not. But, anticipating that we might not be here I did 2 things. I decorated very little and I put out only Mickey stuff. Because who is going to be here to criticize anyway?! Usually my kids make fun of all of my Mickey stuff.
i dont like you lucille ball GIF

My Mickey tree. I get one of those large Mickey head ornaments each trip. But, I need a few more, the top is skimpy I think.:)
We usually have a gigondo tree that sits there if everyone comes home. You could land an airplane with the lights I out on that sucker, big giant bulbs in all the pretty colors!
Quiz for you all. Does anyone recognize those wall sconces?
IMG_6646.JPG

My step dad the fireman, almost had a heart attack when he saw this!
IMG_6625.JPG

But it was all for a good cause!
IMG_6647.JPG

Gary bought me this last year when we were at Disney for my birthday.
IMG_E6693.JPG

And last, but one of my favorites, is this lenox collection. And I am very sad because as I am one of the cheapest people you will ever meet, I got most of those ornaments as gifts or at the lenox outlets that all just closed this year!:cry:
IMG_6678.JPG

Little family history. The picture on that table is 2 separate photos of my grandparents holding my mom who is going to be 79 this coming March!

Anyway thanks for humoring me and now back to the Polynesian beach where not only is there no snow, but it is about 85 degrees!
IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

We headed back to the bungalow to get our gear, say goodbye and hit the road!
So sad!:(
IMG_5833.JPG

And up next, the last ride(s) of the week.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Departure Day Completed :(

We went to the temporary lobby and caught the magic bus there.
IMG_5835.JPG

Our driver was Gregory and he was a hoot! He had that nice little bite of humor that just keeps someone on this side of trouble!
IMG_5839.JPG

Before you knew it we were on the back side of fun.:( I realized on this last TR section they need some variety of sad face gifs.
IMG_5847.JPG

I miss being able to drop our luggage at the airport on the way in, and definitely don't like lugging it on the departure end.
IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5850.JPG

See ya real soon little buddy, (I hope)!
IMG_5851.JPG

We checked our luggage, went to the food court that was completely empty and had some lunch. Got through security very quickly and went and sat at the gate for a very long time. I keep trying to talk Gary into using uber or something and save a lot of sit time, but he likes the ME, so sit we will!

Our flight was on time and we were back in Pittsburgh in a little over 2 hours.

I want to thank everyone for following along. I love your comments and really appreciate your kind words regarding Gary.
He's doing well and we are hopefully going back sometime next year. But, the big push is for a 2022 blowout with the whole crew.
We'll see.

(And I just edited this to add that for us even though we didn't use it very much, the DAS pass and how the CM handled it for us was a little miracle. Gary wasn't embarrassed and it helped him so much to be able to decrease his standing time even for those few hours we utilized it. Big thanks to ALEX!! I found her name)!

A few summation thoughts on a Disney visit during a pandemic.
1) Well, Disney does it well. I really at no point felt unsafe, but I have read since our trip in just the past month that crowds and crowding are getting a little worse.
2) There were some understandable and necessary changes. The distance markers, plexiglass as far as the eye could see, etc.
3) I think some things are goofy. The mobile order process for one.
4) I also think Disney has used the pandemic to cheap out on some things. How can it be a problem to take your purchased items to the front of the park for pickup?
And with that same thought, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with that one. I didn't buy nearly the amount of junk I buy because of having to carry it around. How many $60 hoodies, or expensive collectibles are going to be sold if you don't have to carry the bag around all day? It would surely cover a CM or two's salary.
5) Also, the store entering and exiting processes. In HS, the large store as you exit the park has the entrance to the store at the beginning of the park. So as you are leaving and are tired, you have to walk to the front of the park, circle through the store, and then walk past the store AGAIN!
6) And most annoying were the lines to get in the next line!!!!

Anyway, there are probably a few more goofy and cheap things they are doing in the name of the pandemic if I thought about it longer.

One last note, If you've not already heard me say about 20 times, I'm hopefully going to be a new grandma in about 10 days. I hope you all don't mind me bumping this thread with a photo or 2?!

Stay safe, and happy holidays to you all!

Last edited:

pkkurz

Thanks for the great report. Thankful that Gary was able to use the DAS pass. It sure helps. I have done the last several trips on a ECV since I wear a double upright brace on my right foot/ankle. Disney does it right as far as making sure they take care of their guests with disability issues. I have always been treated with respect and dignity from my encounters with CMs. Stay safe & have a Merry Christmas.

Songbird76

Departure Day continued-

We took our time looking around the lobby which we never usually do.
View attachment 517505

He's pointing out Samoa where he did a stint with the Peace Corps, and our home away from home Bora Bora! 🤣
View attachment 517506

I've never "seen" this before. It's crazy what you just blow past instead of stopping to look and appreciate.
View attachment 517507

We went upstairs to the little store up there and bought my stepdad some candy for watching our cat while we were gone. The cat is crazy, I should have probably bought him a watch or something.
They had a new stock of masks available. We didn't buy any but they had some cute styles. I prefer my cheap hand blinged ones!
View attachment 517508
View attachment 517509

We headed to the back of the lobby to go outside and make our way back to the bungalow to get our luggage. We grabbed a few more photos on our way there.
View attachment 517512

View attachment 517513

I don't remember between @Darstarr and @Loco_driver who likes what, but Gary loves the dole whips and he keeps getting the souvenir cup things "because we need more for our Polynesian room", he says. No, actually we don't. He was bummed because he would've eaten one of these for breakfast if they had been open.
View attachment 517514

We're getting better at old people selfies, but not quite there yet!
I suspect that they are right up there with "mom selfies"!
View attachment 517515

What a pretty view and the castle straight ahead!
View attachment 517516

Up next, the last of our wanderings before the arrival of the dreaded ME!
What does your cat do that you say he's crazy? My friend had a cat that jumped on my head from behind me...scared the bejeepers out of me. I called him "the Mad Catter".

Songbird76

Departure Day Completed :(

We went to the temporary lobby and caught the magic bus there.
View attachment 517545

Our driver was Gregory and he was a hoot! He had that nice little bite of humor that just keeps someone on this side of trouble!
View attachment 517546

Before you knew it we were on the back side of fun.:( I realized on this last TR section they need some variety of sad face gifs.
View attachment 517547

I miss being able to drop our luggage at the airport on the way in, and definitely don't like lugging it on the departure end.
View attachment 517548

View attachment 517549

See ya real soon little buddy, (I hope)!
View attachment 517550

We checked our luggage, went to the food court that was completely empty and had some lunch. Got through security very quickly and went and sat at the gate for a very long time. I keep trying to talk Gary into using uber or something and save a lot of sit time, but he likes the ME, so sit we will!

Our flight was on time and we were back in Pittsburgh in a little over 2 hours.

I want to thank everyone for following along. I love your comments and really appreciate your kind words regarding Gary.
He's doing well and we are hopefully going back sometime next year. But, the big push is for a 2022 blowout with the whole crew.
We'll see.

(And I just edited this to add that for us even though we didn't use it very much, the DAS pass and how the CM handled it for us was a little miracle. Gary wasn't embarrassed and it helped him so much to be able to decrease his standing time even for those few hours we utilized it. Big thanks to ALEX!! I found her name)!

A few summation thoughts on a Disney visit during a pandemic.
1) Well, Disney does it well. I really at no point felt unsafe, but I have read since our trip in just the past month that crowds and crowding are getting a little worse.
2) There were some understandable and necessary changes. The distance markers, plexiglass as far as the eye could see, etc.
3) I think some things are goofy. The mobile order process for one.
4) I also think Disney has used the pandemic to cheap out on some things. How can it be a problem to take your purchased items to the front of the park for pickup?
And with that same thought, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with that one. I didn't buy nearly the amount of junk I buy because of having to carry it around. How many $60 hoodies, or expensive collectibles are going to be sold if you don't have to carry the bag around all day? It would surely cover a CM or two's salary.
5) Also, the store entering and exiting processes. In HS, the large store as you exit the park has the entrance to the store at the beginning of the park. So as you are leaving and are tired, you have to walk to the front of the park, circle through the store, and then walk past the store AGAIN!
6) And most annoying were the lines to get in the next line!!!!

Anyway, there are probably a few more goofy and cheap things they are doing in the name of the pandemic if I thought about it longer.

One last note, If you've not already heard me say about 20 times, I'm hopefully going to be a new grandma in about 10 days. I hope you all don't mind me bumping this thread with a photo or 2?!

Stay safe, and happy holidays to you all!
PLEASE post some baby pics of the new grandbaby when you get them!! Who doesn't love newborn cuteness??

cgersic

What a great trip and report! It's so nice to see you both having such a good time together 😍 I await the day I get to stay in one of those bungalows! Good luck getting to the baby!

Laura Loves Tigger

I really enjoyed your report, except for the Steelers clothing and updates 😁 (Bengals fan here and we are beyond pathetic! 😁). Hope you get to travel for the baby's arrival. Prayers that Gary continues to do well! Looking forward to baby pictures!!

Minnesota disney fan

Thanks for the great trip report. I had to laugh at the old people selfie. I keep trying the senior selfie and never get them right.
So glad you had an enjoyable time. Hope you get to California for the baby's birth and all is well for you this Christmas time.
Even though I'm from Mn, I'm a Steelers fan! Go Steelers, shhhhhhh..............................don't tell anyone from Mn, LOL!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Did you just tear off a piece and eat it? Trying to visualize eating that.
Also, did you see how much nicer the meringue/macaroon thing is in your desert trio?! And I noticed if you pull up the menu it still mentions the berries. We didn't get no stinkin berries!
Actually the edible paper loosened whenever a utensil came into contact with it. It "melted" very easily (against a dessert or in your mouth). Not much taste to it.

I wondered why your macaroon was missing berries!

Quiz for you all. Does anyone recognize those wall sconces?
View attachment 517523
Episode 2 Barbara GIF by ABC Network

Tuvalu does. ;)

I realized on this last TR section they need some variety of sad face gifs.
:( :arghh::cry:😫😔😢

sad shaving GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos
Sad Face GIF
sad tears GIF
Pop Tv Pout GIF by Schitt's Creek

sad pegboard nerds GIF by Monstercat
sad alice in wonderland GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom