Trip Report It was the best of times in the worst of times...

Hello All!
We're back from our October 2020 Disney trip, and a crazy time it was!

Like so many others whose trips were cancelled/delayed and changed, ours was too. A year ago before the world collapsed my husband wanted to have a big family blowout trip in November 2020. Our usual companions are my son 20, occasionally daughter 32 and her new husband. He also wanted (for whatever reason) to invite my mother and husband who profess to despise Disney, despite never having been there. His brother and wife, who live in NC and are so reluctant to travel they don't know the restaurants in their own town. He wanted to invite my sister, her husband and son, that he doesn't really spend any time with.🤷‍♀️ I said, "whatever dude" you invite and I'll figure it out.

Invitations went out and 2020 arrived. Our 2020 like many others has been a big pile of 💩 with one shining exception. So, I'm going to list from January to now in a purposely run-on sentence (paragraph) to get the years crap mentioned here and out of the way. It's meant to read fast and forget. The reason I'm going to go into our family's woes is some of this impacted our trip planning/scheduling.

January Scooby (our crazy loving dog) had to be put down and it was very traumatic February Gary's cancer worsened (those of you that have read my other reports know he is fighting stage 4 colon cancer) and they had to increase his chemo Gary gets both cataracts out right before Covid hits February I schedule the Poly for a crap ton of people that of course aren't coming March Seth gets kicked out of his college dorm in Savannah with the Covid shut down and in 48 hours finds an apartment we drive down 12 hours with a Uhaul trailer with donated furniture to help set him up looking like the Beverly hillbillies Aleisha my oldest gets laid off from her job as an interior designer in California due to Covid April we start volunteering at the local food bank because increasing volumes of people are hungry May Aleisha gets her job back and then looses it again due to Covid July I fall in the yard fracturing in multiple pieces my right (dominant) wrist requiring surgery September the day my daughter and her husband are getting ready to put a down payment on a house in California he gets laid off from his job as a lawyer due to Covid.

What, you say, could possibly be the shining exception? In the middle of that mess in April Aleisha and Julio called to tell us that we will be first time grandparents mid December! We're going to have a baby girl!

So, all of that crazy above resulted in my daughter and husband bailing on us for the November trip, and of course none of those in-laws, outlaws etc. were ever going to come, so we rearranged dates around my sons school schedule and planned for a trip in October, and said pooh to the rest of the invitees!

The people who actually ended up going were: Myself-Cindy, Husband-Gary, Son-Seth, Seth's friend from school-John
When: October 21-26th
Where: 1 night Rivera 1 bedroom Villa, and 4 nights at the Polynesian in a Bungalow
IMG_5556.JPG

MickeyCB

Original Poster
MK day continues-

After they got off of SM Seth reminded me that we had not taken his growing up at Disney photo that we take of the kids every year starting with their first visit at age 3 1/2.
We headed back towards the castle on the path that comes up from Tomorrowland.

These photos have been happening for almost 30 years as my daughter will be 33 in March and her first was also at age 3 1/2.
At the time we tried to find a location that we thought would be somewhat permanent and (so far) the wall by Cinderella's Castle has remained intact.
This is his pic with his sister when he was 3 1/2ish and she was around 16.
(I can't wait to show her 3 yr old pic and her daughter's pic on the wall)!!
Hopefully in about 14 months, if I can arm twist her into bringing the baby to Disney Feb of 22, I'll get that photo. (But, I'm already getting push back though).:rolleyes:
IMG_4450.JPG

Fast forward to 2020! Seth's yearly photo "on the wall".
IMG_5650.JPG

We take our wall photos directly across from the wishing well. He was surprisingly cooperative with photos today.
IMG_5659.JPG

After that we headed up the hill to try to ride Winnie the Pooh. (We were feelin it)!🤣
But a few castle pics on the way. It was a ridiculously gorgeous day.
IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5667.JPG

IMG_5668.JPG

It was hilarious (if you like walking in circles)! The line for Winnie the Pooh circled back down to where we had walked up to take Seth's photo. We didn't know it, but if we had just turned around and walked back down the ramp we would have been at the end of the line!
Anyway, the line wasn't horribly slow and we were on the ride in probably 30 minutes.
Time enough for a mom and son selfie!
I think it's pretty cool that my 20 year old is not so jaded that he is still willing to ride Winnie the Pooh!
IMG_5671.JPG

Here come the honey pots!
IMG_5674.JPG

IMG_5676.JPG

After ridin the pots, with about 30 minutes till our dinner reservation, we headed over to see if we could find Ariel!

BuckyMom

Thank you for all the detail. The mobile ordering info is priceless to me. Still on plan for our mid January trip- this helps me mentally prepare. Covid just hit our house, so at least we can check that worry off my list...

Sulley_1313

I just had the opportunity to catch up on your trip report - it has been such a delight to read, and I hope our paths can cross next time.

P.S. Gary's pin collection is GOALS. My October trip was my first time to pin trade. I didn't know if I would like it, but I am now hooked!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Thank you for all the detail. The mobile ordering info is priceless to me. Still on plan for our mid January trip- this helps me mentally prepare. Covid just hit our house, so at least we can check that worry off my list...
Like you, I read others TR's on here and tried to understand how it worked before we got there. It helped some. But, it is still fairly restrictive.
And, I was thinking about when my husband headed back to the room by himself. If he had really wanted any quick service food and they remained obstinate with helping him order, he just wouldn't have food. He has a smart phone but doesn't have the app and if he did I think he would struggle with it. 🤷‍♀️

And I hope all of you are doing ok?!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I just had the opportunity to catch up on your trip report - it has been such a delight to read, and I hope our paths can cross next time.

P.S. Gary's pin collection is GOALS. My October trip was my first time to pin trade. I didn't know if I would like it, but I am now hooked!
I'm glad you are enjoying it. I find it so much fun to write it down and bring back the memories.

And you need to be verrrry careful! If you like pin trading just with the boards, when they (hopefully) permit all of the cast to trade again it is so much fun. I have to drag Gary away usually!

BuckyMom

Like you, I read others TR's on here and tried to understand how it worked before we got there. It helped some. But, it is still fairly restrictive.
And, I was thinking about when my husband headed back to the room by himself. If he had really wanted any quick service food and they remained obstinate with helping him order, he just wouldn't have food. He has a smart phone but doesn't have the app and if he did I think he would struggle with it. 🤷‍♀️

And I hope all of you are doing ok?!
We are all hanging in there. Such a bizarre illness- 4 of us with completely different versions. I'm finding advil and cough medicine handles the worst of it, so far. My husband refused to take anything, and he was in misery...he's on day 12 and still only back to 60%. "Bull headed" as my father used to say...
I think of your husband often, and pray for him. What a trooper to do Disney with you and your son.

MegRuss626

We are all hanging in there. Such a bizarre illness- 4 of us with completely different versions. I'm finding advil and cough medicine handles the worst of it, so far. My husband refused to take anything, and he was in misery...he's on day 12 and still only back to 60%. "Bull headed" as my father used to say...
I think of your husband often, and pray for him. What a trooper to do Disney with you and your son.

Isn’t that crazy how it works!? Myself, my husband, my 3 year old, my MIL, FIL, and SIL all have it right now and it hasn’t affected anyone the same.

PolynesianPrincess

Just joining in!! I used to post my trip reports on here all the time but I've been out of the game the last few years but I miss it here so I'm getting back into the game!
OK, first things first... the pic of that guy outside of Pooh. Just eww. WHY would anyone EVER think that would be an ok thing to do?!
Disney should TOTALLY make those Mickey pumpkins and sell them! They would sell SOOOOO many!!!
Sanaa bread service is my favorite!! We eat there every trip specifically for that! I always order extra bread and just make it my meal!
Mobile ordering is CRAZY!!! We tried it our first night at Pop and everyone clicked they were there and then it was just one huge line and no one really knew what to do!
Super jealous y'all are staying in a bungalow!! That's my dream!!
Your Steelers are doing really well this year!! My uncle is from Pittsburgh and he's a huge fan... I'm from Boston soooooo I'm a Patriots fan! After 20 great years it appears we are on our way down haha.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I hope you all continue to get better and are able to have a wonderful trip!
We've been trying so hard not to get it.
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, he is a trooper (that I do nag a little)!;)

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Just joining in!! I used to post my trip reports on here all the time but I've been out of the game the last few years but I miss it here so I'm getting back into the game!
OK, first things first... the pic of that guy outside of Pooh. Just eww. WHY would anyone EVER think that would be an ok thing to do?!
Disney should TOTALLY make those Mickey pumpkins and sell them! They would sell SOOOOO many!!!
Sanaa bread service is my favorite!! We eat there every trip specifically for that! I always order extra bread and just make it my meal!
Mobile ordering is CRAZY!!! We tried it our first night at Pop and everyone clicked they were there and then it was just one huge line and no one really knew what to do!
Super jealous y'all are staying in a bungalow!! That's my dream!!
Your Steelers are doing really well this year!! My uncle is from Pittsburgh and he's a huge fan... I'm from Boston soooooo I'm a Patriots fan! After 20 great years it appears we are on our way down haha.
So glad you're following along!
The whole thing with "the guy" caught me off guard. You're laying outside of ride, no shoes, butt out to everyone. Rough night?!
Yeah, not a fan of mobile ordering, there has to be some slack/assistance built in moving forward.
We really enjoyed the bungalow, but the view was just amazing! My only regret is we really needed more down time there to take full advantage of it.
Oh our favorite, the Patriots. Like our boogey man in the closet for years!
scared disney GIF

MickeyCB

Original Poster
MK day continues-

After we left Winnie we went across the way to find Ariel.
On the way in I had Seth stop for a photo. I felt this tree sort of had a fall look to it, and I plan on using that for Septembers page on my calendar.
IMG_5680.JPG

I took these next 2 photos to remind me to comment on people I would like to slap. This is a disgusting tissue, and next is the trash can probably 5 feet away. Yes, I condone violence.
IMG_5682.JPG

IMG_5683.JPG

I realize 97.5% of you reading along could care less about this, but, it was right around this time that the Steelers were in the 4th quarter and the Titans were making a big time come back. I was following the game on the app. I got cut off from the world as we entered the tunnels and the Titans scored to bring it within 3 points at 27-24! Baagh!

Sorry it's a crudy photo, but we found Ariel.
IMG_5688.JPG

I have to apologize to @Darstarr because I promised to look for the pretend hidden Mickey at the exit, but I was stressing over the Steelers and forgot to look for him.
We headed up the hill to our Be Our Guest dinner reservation that I was excited to try. It would be our first time to try their Prix Fix menu. We ate dinner here several years ago with the regular menu. We have also tried both their breakfast and lunch quick service menus from the past. I could take or leave breakfast, but have always enjoyed their lunch menu.

One comment regarding all of the covid changes. I don't for a minute understand why lunch here can't be quick service, other than they make a heck of a lot more money this way. They have a lot of bodies to feed at Disney these days and absolutely need to open up more quick service options moving forward.
Both lunch and dinner right now are the Prix Fix (annoys me to even type that) menu, and it is $62/adult $37/kid last time I checked. I think @fractal commented that you could make a car payment or something for the same amount it costs to eat lunch and I agree.
I made sure to schedule us for an early dinner, so I could pretend there was more value. :rolleyes:

Anyway, we made our way in and were seated promptly.
I didn't get any good photos while we were in there as the light was somewhat dim. I have a few of the food and Seth got one of the Beast.
The waiter came over to get our drink orders and I was so embarrassed because right as he stepped to our table Gary had called yelling that the Titans were about to attempt a field goal to tie it up. I apologized to the waiter, hung up on Gary, and tried to read the "menu" off of my phone! It was all quite silly.
I think we had bread, because what I have a photo of is the butter.
IMG_5693.JPG

After the butter came, Gary called again, yelling, that the Titans missed the field goal and we ended up winning! Yeah!
Now, without anymore phone calls we were able to enjoy our dinner.

John and I had a salad and Seth had the Meats and Artisanal Cheese selection that he liked but I don't have a photo.
It's just me, but I would prefer to have salad fill in that empty spot where the half tomato sits. But, it was very tasty.
IMG_5695.JPG

For our entrees I had the Filet Mignon, that was to die for. It was excellent and a generous portion.
IMG_5696.JPG

Seth had the Roasted corn and Spinach Tortellini that he liked, but felt was a slightly small serving. I think John had the Scallops that I don't have a photo of.
IMG_6034.JPG

Dessert was fun. It's a trio of white chocolate Chip cup with grey stuff (and yes it was delicious)! It also had a dark chocolate truffle and a meringue thing. All very tasty.
IMG_5697.JPG

During the meal the Beast makes a very hurried, no stops, good luck getting a photo, zip through the place and exits out again. He probably made 2 runs during the time we were there. This was the least blurry photo I could find that we took.
IMG_6036.JPG

I kept forgetting to mention we had DVC/AP's for the discount they offer at several meals. It is 10% for either. So our waiter took the bill back and brought it out again. But, as I went to pay it I realized he left it off the second time as well. So I told the guys to go ahead as they wanted to go to the Emporium on our way out.
We finally got the bill settled and I headed away from the table without my mask on. I was so embarrassed. I didn't get 15 feet from the table when a CM (nicely) reminded me to put it on. :oops: I think if you are a mask advocate as I am you need to walk the walk. :facepalm:

Anyway, I headed out to catch up with the guys and maybe get a minute or so to shop before we had to leave. They were driving back to Savannah tonight and I wanted them to get on the road so they wouldn't get back too late.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
MK day continued-

As I headed over to the Emporium I got a few more photos of the castle. Again, it was such a pretty day.
IMG_5706.JPG

As I looked at this next photo later, I realized I wished I had thought to ask the family if they would like it. I thought it was a neat photo of all of them walking out. (would have been better without the beast sitting there chillin)!🤣 You can't see but that's what is written on his shirt.
IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5709.JPG

You go dancer girl!!
IMG_5710.JPG

One of my favorite castle pics of the day!
IMG_5712.JPG

And even better, you all know how much I love the Partners and Roy's statues!!! While it was really crowded for lines etc. earlier in the day, in front of the castle it was so nice to be able to get a few pictures without a million people around. Not empty like the July August photos people were getting, but still awesome!
IMG_5716.JPG

And with Moi!
IMG_5718.JPG

This was the part of the trip that wasn't so fun. Lines for lines.
IMG_5721.JPG

But, the line that lets you get in the next line moved fairly quickly and I was in the store.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
MK day continued-

I made it into the Emporium and found Seth and John. Seth bought this for his roommate.
IMG_5722.JPG

I thought these ears were cute, but suspect that they would be heavy to wear.
IMG_5723.JPG

Seth paid for his stuff, and Ohh, a human checked him out!🤣
And it occurred to me as I type this, that I don't know what is in Seth's bag. This matters because I gave both him and John a gift card to use for a few treats, and while John bought practically nothing Seth did the opposite. And I'm pretty sure he was way past the amount on the gift card and his magic band may have been involved in that purchase. We will have to talk, that is way bigger than a mug!
IMG_5726.JPG

We headed out and Seth posed for the requisite "we're sad, we're leaving shot". :(
Harder to see the pout through the mask!
IMG_5727.JPG

We decided to take the monorail over, the wait wasn't bad at all.
I thought this lady's shirt was hilarious!
They were a cute mom and son. It was his birthday and she took him for single day treat.
IMG_E5729.JPG

This guy greeted us on our way back to the bungalow.
IMG_5737.JPG

After that John and Seth packed up their gear and we walked them to Seth's car. It was good that tomorrow would be our last day, because I had Seth bring a cooler and we sent back most of the cold food stuff, water, etc. that we usually have to throw away when we leave because of flying.
It was a sad moment because I hadn't seen Seth since the covid crazy shutdown in March when we moved him into his apartment in Savannah, and at the time he left Disney I didn't know when I would see him again. As it turns out, we won't be able to see him at Christmas because he committed to work for the holidays as part of them hiring him. I want him to be irresponsible and dump on them. I got the, "mommmm".
Ok, fine.
IMG_5740.JPG

Bye.
As Dori says, "come baaacckkk"!
(Drama queen, I know).
IMG_5741.JPG

Well, he's off and we're headed back to pack up our gear, because tomorrow is the saddest day of the year, departure day!:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom